C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1996 CE Sebring Silver Paint Source

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 06:15 PM
ameribrit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1996 CE Sebring Silver Paint Source

Hey folks - I am doing a small repair of a deep scratch and need another supplier for an aerosol paint. The one I have is paint code 13 (ie 1996 Chev Corvette Silver Metallic 13) but it does not have the right size metallic and is well off shade as you can see in the picture (I have not clear coated yet, so no gloss). Does not appear to have have good contrast between grey and white metallic, but again this is before clear coat but cannot imagine it would fix problem. I am novice at this and wanted to try and do the touch up myself before I go to my body guy who wants $500 to respray the whole fender for scratch. I know you think I am crazy for doing this for a scratch (actually two about 2-4" in length) but the car's paint is near perfect everywhere with hardly a ding. Anybody know a good source? Any suggestions for a paint idiot like me would not be discouraged. I did manage to get the scratch pretty well out and did not use putty but have some edges to clear out if I can. Paint area is approx 2'X2' and a clear demarcation can be seen from OEM paint on left side and the paint I used. Thanks.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:40 PM
CE1
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had good luck with this paint https://www.automotivetouchup.com
Old 06-02-2021, 01:28 AM
Fiberbundle
Burning Brakes

Received 340 Likes on 263 Posts

I agree with CE1. I have purchased both aerosol and the little bottles from them with good luck on both Polo Green Metallic and Bright Aqua Metallic.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:40 AM
jrobin1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

Plus 1 for Automotive Touchup
Old 06-02-2021, 09:53 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

You might also pickup some proper paper to use where you tape off. Newspaper can leak or even stick to your car. Best of luck.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:08 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
You might also pickup some proper paper to use where you tape off. Newspaper can leak or even stick to your car. Best of luck.

Nothing wrong with using newspaper. It's only there to catch the overspray - same as "proper" paper. He's not soaking the paper with paint; what is going to "leak" or "stick"?
Old 06-02-2021, 11:33 AM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

One of my local parts stores has a paint guy on staff who can mix custom aerosol cans based on the paint code on the RPO sticker. Strangely, the Ford touchup paint for the silver 2003 Focus I owned previously is almost a perfect match for my CE also.

Last edited by RUU; 06-02-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:07 PM
ameribrit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My paint was from Automotive Touchup but they don't seem interested in seeing that there is a problem which is pretty obvious. I applied several light coats with 30 minutes + between coats. Maybe I did something wrong (too close or too far?) or a just a bad paint batch but would think they would help out. I applied evenly. I know the OEM paint is good as car has been stored undercover and not a blemish or variance in shade anywhere. I may have to have the local body shop fix. Odd thing - when I apply a sample onto a piece of paper or carrboard it seems a lot closer - but does not appear correct where it counts, on the car. Thanks to all who replied so quickly!

Last edited by ameribrit; 06-02-2021 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:49 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by ameribrit
My paint was from Automotive Touchup but they don't seem interested in seeing that there is a problem which is pretty obvious. I applied several light coats with 30 minutes + between coats. Maybe I did something wrong (too close or too far?) or a just a bad paint batch but would think they would help out. I applied evenly. I know the OEM paint is good as car has been stored undercover and not a blemish or variance in shade anywhere. I may have to have the local body shop fix. Odd thing - when I apply a sample onto a piece of paper or carrboard it seems a lot closer - but does not appear correct where it counts, on the car. Thanks to all who replied so quickly!
Don't be punching yourself in the nuts. Matching paint is tricky to do, even for the professionals. Also, in my opinion, any form of silver paint is probably one of, if not the hardest to match without extensive blending. I tried last summer to paint some rust repair spots on my metalic grey Escape. Three different coats resulted in three different finishes. The dude at the autobody supply store said speed, time, distance, temperature and apply thickness all factor in.

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 CE Sebring Silver Paint Source

Quick Reply: 1996 CE Sebring Silver Paint Source