C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Squeaky spinning sound from rear wheel when "rolling"

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 08:50 PM
topgunvette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Squeaky spinning sound from rear wheel when "rolling"

Sound isn't present when you step on the gas, any ideas?
Old 03-24-2021, 05:32 AM
Incorvettei
Burning Brakes

Received 300 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by topgunvette
Sound isn't present when you step on the gas, any ideas?
possible wheel bearing?
Old 03-24-2021, 08:02 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Incorvettei
possible wheel bearing?
Yeah, I would guess bearing too.

OP: The other things (assuming brake dust not being at fault) would be brake pad or a sticking caliper OR sticking emergency brake actuator or cable. Have you tried jacking up the rear and pulling the wheel(s) and letting it idle in gear? (just a thought....)
If it squeaks with the weight off, then I'd be using a mechanic's stethoscope (using just the rubber hose only (the pin and diaphragm removed) and poke around to see where the squeak is coming from. But, if there is no squeak AND no growling or other obvious signs of bearing issues, (e.g., with the rear on the lift, if you attempt to wiggle the wheel/tire by pushing/pulling the top of the tire while pushing/pulling in the opposite direction the bottom side of the tire simultaneously - there should be NO wiggling) - then the bearing may only squeak under the weight of the car. (Hard to say w/o actually seeing/hearing it for myself).

Last edited by Paul Workman; 03-24-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:53 AM
93QuasarBlue
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Brake shoe wear indicator. there's a tong that sticks out to touch the rotor.
Old 03-24-2021, 01:12 PM
topgunvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Yeah, I would guess bearing too.

OP: The other things (assuming brake dust not being at fault) would be brake pad or a sticking caliper OR sticking emergency brake actuator or cable. Have you tried jacking up the rear and pulling the wheel(s) and letting it idle in gear? (just a thought....)
If it squeaks with the weight off, then I'd be using a mechanic's stethoscope (using just the rubber hose only (the pin and diaphragm removed) and poke around to see where the squeak is coming from. But, if there is no squeak AND no growling or other obvious signs of bearing issues, (e.g., with the rear on the lift, if you attempt to wiggle the wheel/tire by pushing/pulling the top of the tire while pushing/pulling in the opposite direction the bottom side of the tire simultaneously - there should be NO wiggling) - then the bearing may only squeak under the weight of the car. (Hard to say w/o actually seeing/hearing it for myself).
I just had my rear pads done so no problem there. There is a tiny bit of play on the right rear wheel though.

Last edited by topgunvette; 03-24-2021 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:16 PM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by topgunvette
I just had my rear pads done so no problem there. There is a tiny bit of play on the right rear wheel though.
....Assuming nothing went wrong with the rear brake pad installation...
Old 05-06-2021, 03:15 PM
cwd72
Navigator

Thanks everybody for the helpful tips. It was a collapsed brake hose. Replaced both rear hoses and good to go. I should have thought of it as I had a Plymouth Valiant years ago with the same problem.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:50 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by cwd72
Thanks everybody for the helpful tips. It was a collapsed brake hose. Replaced both rear hoses and good to go. I should have thought of it as I had a Plymouth Valiant years ago with the same problem.

What caused the hose to collapse??
I don't think your problem has been solved yet.
The symptom may be gone, but.......

Last edited by rocco16; 05-09-2021 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 10:58 PM
cwd72
Navigator

Due to age a brake hose may collapse. To my knowledge (not totally reliable) once the hose collapses you can apply the brakes and the fluid will pump the brake but there is nothing to allow it to (return) ease up as the fluid and pumped up action cannot 'retreat' as the hose is collapsed. Not sure if I explained it adequately and maybe someone else can do better. It's a common problem as a rubber brake hose ages. In my case the hose was probably original and we're talking 50 years.

Get notified of new replies

To Squeaky spinning sound from rear wheel when "rolling"

Quick Reply: Squeaky spinning sound from rear wheel when "rolling"