Old 03-14-2021, 01:35 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by kenmohr
Just looked at ET for Acura.ltx. They would see tail lights of my stock 89
Originally Posted by PacerX
Yeah... pretty sure that turd is getting smashed by my nearly stock 85.
Data. It helps.
IN THIS TEST, Motor Trend ran 14.7 @ 96 with the ILX

With that established, we should all, already know that time is right in the mix with stock TPI era 'Vettes....but we can look at that data too, to confirm or deny that assertion.

IN THIS TEST C&D ran an '85 "just over" 14.5...no trap listed, unfortunately.
IN 1985, R&T ran this '85 to a pretty weak, 15.0 @ 91
HERE, R&T ran this '87 to a smoldering....14.5 @ 97
IN THIS ONE, C&D ran this nice '89 to a 14.2 @ 98. Now, that is a 1/2 second quicker than the ILX which is a pretty decisive win. However, since the traps are so close, we know that the .5 advantage in this comparison, was mostly made in the first 60'; the RWD launch vs. the FWD launch.

The 'Vette does show an advantage....but not a big one. It's close enough that a blown launch could easily put your behind the ILX and not catch it...especially in a shorter street situation. In any case, I don't see any stock TPI era car "smashing" or "showing tail lights" to an ILX...it's a close one...unfortunately.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 03-14-2021 at 02:29 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tom400CFI:
AgentEran (03-14-2021), novaks47 (03-16-2021), snlshow (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 01:59 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
This is so wrong on so many levels.
1. The responsibility for hard acceleration (whether or not the police were there) is the driver. He has the right foot and he is depressing the accelerator pedal. You cannot blame that one on anyone else.
2. Racing on the street is a real problem if you do not know the roads. They are not kept like a race course. Potholes and loose gravel can pop up suddenly and cause any drive to lose control.
3. Gunning your engine at a stoplight is not always a sign of "Let's race". People do that all the time just for fun and then DON'T launch their car at 100%.
4. This type of activity has ZERO impact on whether or not the young are "into" cars these days. There are too many other alternatives for the young and the youth today generally do not earn as much to be able to purchase performance cars or performance upgrades.
5. What exactly is a "wise" influence in this situation - racing the other car? Just not revving the engine? Asking him to pull over to give the kid a sermon?
6. I have never seen any "older" person "wanting" to get any youth in trouble. More often than not they bring it on themselves. Perhaps the ticket will be a reminder to the youth and he will bring his car to the track next time to race. Or maybe next time he won't kill someone. But blaming others for your own weaknesses is largely why we have so much stupidity in the political world. Don't bring it here as well.
Just because I goad you into a fight doesn't mean you have to accept. If you do, what happens to you is what happens to you. If you cannot make that choice, perhaps you need to be a ward of the state.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:01 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,475 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
This is so wrong on so many levels.
1. The responsibility for hard acceleration (whether or not the police were there) is the driver. He has the right foot and he is depressing the accelerator pedal. You cannot blame that one on anyone else.
2. Racing on the street is a real problem if you do not know the roads. They are not kept like a race course. Potholes and loose gravel can pop up suddenly and cause any drive to lose control.
3. Gunning your engine at a stoplight is not always a sign of "Let's race". People do that all the time just for fun and then DON'T launch their car at 100%.
4. This type of activity has ZERO impact on whether or not the young are "into" cars these days. There are too many other alternatives for the young and the youth today generally do not earn as much to be able to purchase performance cars or performance upgrades.
5. What exactly is a "wise" influence in this situation - racing the other car? Just not revving the engine? Asking him to pull over to give the kid a sermon?
6. I have never seen any "older" person "wanting" to get any youth in trouble. More often than not they bring it on themselves. Perhaps the ticket will be a reminder to the youth and he will bring his car to the track next time to race. Or maybe next time he won't kill someone. But blaming others for your own weaknesses is largely why we have so much stupidity in the political world. Don't bring it here as well.
I'd argue hypocrisy is the bigger issue. Casting stones at this guy who was driving a fancy civic instead of a 30 year old corvette? Come on. And again, how many deaths do we see from street racing? Probably less per year than from people getting hit on the head with a coconut, or falling off a hiking trail, or getting hit by lightning.

Younger people aren't as into cars partially due to money, for sure. But a lot of us have plenty of money, and aren't as into the hobby because we get a bunch of boomers telling us we shouldn't drive our cars fast, that their cars are better, and other condescending bullshit. I've told the story of the boomer who wanted to brag to me about his "new to him" 80k mile 2005 c6, and how "maybe one day I could have a car as nice as his". I politely told him that both my 2010 grand sport and my buddy with me's c6z were very nice cars and that we were doing just fine.

This is a hobby and a community under fire from all sides.. A tech industry that wants us in disposable autonomous vehicles where we rent the service of them moving us. Corrupt politicians that want us forced into methods of transport they can shut down and control as they see fit. Unintelligent but educated fools who believe that ICE in the US is destroying the world. Automakers who keep driving the cost of anything interesting up while reducing the special attributes of the cars. Car enthusiasts, regardless of age, manufacturer, or finances need to stick together and do good by each other.

I mean, how hard would it have been to be a nice person and roll a window down say "hey man, nice car, thought you should know there's a cop over there". It stops the "street race" you're so worried about, it doesn't hurt anyone, and nobody is a jerk. How hard is that to just be decent?
The following 3 users liked this post by FAUEE:
Chris44m (03-14-2021), jseams (03-14-2021), novaks47 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 02:17 PM
Krusty84
Drifting

Received 367 Likes on 280 Posts

I really enjoy messing with other sporty cars in my LS swapped 84. Lots of other sporty car guys/gals think they are picking on an old slow C4 too. It is kind of tough to see that my car is completely stripped out when rolling down the road. Even tougher to tell that it has a 500chp 6.0 under the hood and a face plated TKO 600 5 speed. Sleeper is my MO and I have a ton of fun with the car.

My previous hot rods were SBC swapped 84 and 89 S10 2 door Blazers. I think they surprised the folks I could get the attention of on the road a little more but they were few and far between. With my Vette, I don't even have to try. Just drive it in the slow lane for a little while and someone pulls up wanting to race. I love it.

Now I am not a big fan of flogging it from stop light to stop light. Too many dangerous factors. Cars all over the place, poles, dips in the road, cops...etc. Not a good place for a 7 second 0-100 mph car to be fooling around. I enjoy open highways in the evenings. Still stupid but safer and more fun to be had.
The following users liked this post:
novaks47 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 02:43 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Younger people aren't as into cars partially due to money, for sure. But a lot of us have plenty of money, and aren't as into the hobby because we get a bunch of boomers telling us we shouldn't drive our cars fast, that their cars are better, and other condescending bullshit. I've told the story of the boomer who wanted to brag to me about his "new to him" 80k mile 2005 c6, and how "maybe one day I could have a car as nice as his". I politely told him that both my 2010 grand sport and my buddy with me's c6z were very nice cars and that we were doing just fine.

This is a hobby and a community under fire from all sides.. A tech industry that wants us in disposable autonomous vehicles where we rent the service of them moving us. Corrupt politicians that want us forced into methods of transport they can shut down and control as they see fit. Unintelligent but educated fools who believe that ICE in the US is destroying the world. Automakers who keep driving the cost of anything interesting up while reducing the special attributes of the cars. Car enthusiasts, regardless of age, manufacturer, or finances need to stick together and do good by each other.

I mean, how hard would it have been to be a nice person and roll a window down say "hey man, nice car, thought you should know there's a cop over there". It stops the "street race" you're so worried about, it doesn't hurt anyone, and nobody is a jerk. How hard is that to just be decent?
Well, if I were you, I would take what he says seriously or he might stop writing the checks for you. Simple rule I have. You aren't writing me checks or a hot girl in bed with me, I really don't care if you like me or what I have. When my dad buys my house for me, he gets to say what color, design, etc. Till then, I really don't care. If you can't stand alone, perhaps you need to separate yourself from the boys you hang around with is what I would say.

It IS a disposable world. When the first BIC lighter came out, we should have gotten the hint of the way things will be.

Are you kidding? Look at the world we have and see if we can be decent. It is the nature of the human being so it is what it is.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:18 PM
Zahmed
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

I raced a guy from one stop light. We both were neck and neck as we approached the second stop light but there was a car in his lane at the stop light. I squeezed to a stop in my lane, he tried stopping in his lane, hit the car in front, that car rolled into the intersection, got banged by cars from both sides. I made a right turn, parked and got out to see cop cars, one arresting the guy racing me, appeared to be giving him a drunk driving test. The poor woman and the child in the back seat....she was not conscious and being loaded into the ambulance, the kid in car seat was being looked at by paramedics.

That was my last street car race.
vette196 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 07:24 PM
GTS Bruce
Burning Brakes

Received 511 Likes on 303 Posts

Neighborhood I used to live in. Two lane.Slight curve to the road. Two cars side by side.Kid on a big wheel in his driveway. Kid splattered. Father (neighbor) screaming beating on driver. Cops pulled father off driver before father killed him. 50 yrs ago. Will never forget. Kid was 3 yo boy.

vette196 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 08:52 PM
Chris44m
Drifting

Received 323 Likes on 213 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Originally Posted by GTS Bruce
Neighborhood I used to live in. Two lane.Slight curve to the road. Two cars side by side.Kid on a big wheel in his driveway. Kid splattered. Father (neighbor) screaming beating on driver. Cops pulled father off driver before father killed him. 50 yrs ago. Will never forget. Kid was 3 yo boy.
That's a horrific story, and of course anyone reading it would be saddened bye the account, We all could recollect similar events in our lives, my Aunt pulled up to my Grandfathers house, jumped out to give him an item, my cousin pulled the car out of gear, fell out, the car rolled over him, the fireman had to remove the front tire to recover what was left of him, he was 3 yrs old. Sad things happen, a lot of the time they could have been avoided.

My post is about enjoying the car hobby, living life, of course being careful, I don't race, per say, but I've taken it a bit to far, as all of you on this forum have, What happens when these subjects creep up, is the same rhetoric that happens in any culture which has had tragedy, someone has the need to jump on a soap box, and learn us all a lesson! And why? because they've done it! and got away with it! and therefore they must stand atop of those who done it, and unfortunately did not get away with it! Fauee is right, that's just hypocritical! There's an element of danger and risk in every activity we do, that's a fact, and yes that danger can effect others. and frankly it's all but un-avoidable, All I'm saying is, unless you want to tie yourself up in bubble wrap, and sit as still as you can, and wait for the end of life, there's not much sense in living it.

Chris

Old 03-14-2021, 09:22 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 182 Posts

• Stock C4s are slow by todays standards
  • "Foreign" cars are fast
  • People street race
  • Do whats best for you, live your best life
The following 2 users liked this post by AgentEran:
novaks47 (03-16-2021), Tom400CFI (03-14-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 03:01 AM
snlshow
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Brutal story.

There are lots of slightly crooked streets near me where dbags drag race easily above 60 or 70 on 40 mph speed limit roads where pedestrians of all ages are typically around. Every couple of weeks I see new memorials with a cross and candles etc where someone has been killed.

if you want to drag race where there aren’t pedestrians....go for it. I’m sure it’s a blast!!! But stay the (bleep) away from areas where it’s obvious that you could kill someone. Unfortunately...it’s the new Camaros , Chargers, Challengers, and Mustangs that i see doing stupid crap in my area. (No...I see no corvettes ever doing this) Sometimes it’s the imports with the giant LAME Folgers can exhaust pipes doing the racing as well.

Like everything else....use common sense before you WAF!
novaks47 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 05:44 AM
Natty C
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 438 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist

Originally Posted by snlshow
Unfortunately...it’s the new Camaros , Chargers, Challengers, and Mustangs that i see doing stupid crap in my area. (No...I see no corvettes ever doing this) Sometimes it’s the imports with the giant LAME Folgers can exhaust pipes doing the racing as well.
Those are usually the cars I see doing that, too.

Reminds me of what my dad used to always yell out whenever he saw em acting like that. "Raise hell, yer daddy paid fer it" he'd say.

I see a lot of young hipster types on youtube racing and wrecking their vettes, though. It's always the newer vettes. I've never once seen an older Corvette do dumb sht like that on youtube, much less on the public roadways around here. Take that for what it's worth.

Which goes back to what the old man was always fond of yelling out.

Heh heh.

Last edited by Natty C; 03-15-2021 at 06:24 AM.
FAUEE (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 07:49 AM
LilNutSac
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Natty C
There are families on the roadways. Best to save it for the dragstrip or the track. It's what they're for.
Don't let your family play in roadways then. Corvettes are for the street, it's "what they're for".
Old 03-15-2021, 11:36 AM
hawk454
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
I had that exact same thing happen once! On a family doughnut run for breakfast early Sunday AM - i.e., very light traffic. I was driving a V8 Vega which had a nice V8 "burbling" sound at idle. Sitting at a stoplight on a 4 lane street with a freeway overpass across the intersection in front of me, a guy in a ricer pulls up in the right lane next to me and blips the throttle a few times.

As I swung my gaze to the right to look at his stupid grin, my eyes caught the sight of a California Highway Patrol car just coming to a stop on the off ramp coming from the right to our street, just beyond the overpass in front of us. Perfect! I got a mean idea.

I lightly blipped the throttle in response to the ricer guy just as the light turned green. Off the ricer went, squeaking the front tires as he blasted across the intersection and under the overpass...right in front of that CHP who had a front row seat! BUSTED!!

I just hesitated at the light for a moment before proceeding, which the CHP guy took notice of as he looked to see if I was also racing. I wasn't. But, the look on the ricer's face as he sit at the side of the road where the cop had pulled him over...PRICELESS!!!
PRICELESS. So funny. Thanks Paul. Good start to my day.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:51 PM
Natty C
Drifting

Originally Posted by LilNutSac
Don't let your family play in roadways then. Corvettes are for the street, it's "what they're for".
Yes, lilnutsack. You're a big boy, aren't you. Yes....a big boy. Heh heh.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:25 PM
Natty C
Drifting

Speaking of family, I was talking to the better half about going down to the dragway just to run it and get it up to speed. They have the street legal series coming up over the course of the next few months on and off. It's not like I plan on winning anything. Doubt it'll even qualify. In fact, I'm sure it won't. No doubt we'll get our rear ends kicked, but it's all good fun. It's something to do.

Heck, the small amount it costs just for Friday testing is about the same as a night out for dinner or whatever.

Matter of fact, I just mentioned it to her again and do you now what she said?

​​​​​​Ok! Heck you know me….I like speed. Heh heeeee......

Anyway. My last thought on it is that there's a time and a place for it.

Last edited by Natty C; 03-15-2021 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:04 PM
rad928music
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
well since about 80% of new cars on the road would embarrass 95% of any C4 made I would stay out of the drag scene in a stock C4
I drive allot of new cars for one of my jobs.
The new Camaros, Mustangs, chargers with the top performance options are allot faster then stock C4, of course 3 they are 3 decades newer.
Some Trucks,SUV, and luxury cars are to but the average cars are not much faster or the same or slower. 80 percent i dont believe and i drive everything.
convas (03-17-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 07:12 PM
rad928music
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrispa
Im not making light of tragedy, or anyone's misfortune, this is a car forum, we are enjoying a car, and a hobby, racing is part of that process, surely you must realize that there would be NO race tracks, or Road tracks without The Street racing that went on in the 50's and earlier. That's what STARTED it all. Some of the Greatest drivers in history according to your definition are POSERS. that's silly.
If you want to discuss tragedy, and death, im sure there are plenty of forums that enjoy that sort of thing.

Gawd, there's risk in every action taken, people do dumb **** , dunno what to tell ya.

Chris
What I See they dont call street racing its called speeding and its not sports cars or guys hitting the gas then letting off, its people, ladies, guys old young, some with kids in the car plowing by me and im going the speed limit. In a hurry to go who knows where. Thats who you got to watch out for and some with there heads down texting or social media.

Get notified of new replies

To When foreign cars think they are fast

Old 03-15-2021, 07:24 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Natty C
Yes, lilnutsack. You're a big boy, aren't you. Yes....a big boy. Heh heh.
Not sure what you are getting at but here it goes. As kids we used to play anywhere and everywhere. Of course we are invincible and no car could hurt us. Dad explained the dangers but I didn't take him seriously. He got tired and didn't bother to say anything after a couple of times. His old worn belt gently reminded me of where the delineated area was a couple of times. I seemed to have learned that lesson even to this day where I am cautious about stepping on the road. I think it is more accurate to say that while I didn't fear the road, I certainly respected it and what was on it. Today, I can reason out that while I am 200 lbs, the car is definitely more than 2000 lbs and could seriously injur me. Unfortunately, a lot of college students at Madison don't seem to grasp that the car might not be able to stop. Frankly, when I see them cross a busy street without regard or even reading a book, I really wouldn't care if they became a hood ornament.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:27 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rad928music
What I See they dont call street racing its called speeding and its not sports cars or guys hitting the gas then letting off, its people, ladies, guys old young, some with kids in the car plowing by me and im going the speed limit. In a hurry to go who knows where. Thats who you got to watch out for and some with there heads down texting or social media.
I have all the sympathy if they get hit by a drunk or even a mistake. If they are not paying attention to where they are walking, I could care less.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:39 PM
Natty C
Drifting

Originally Posted by aklim
Not sure what you are getting at but here it goes. As kids we used to play anywhere and everywhere.
What I was getting at was some asshat telling me to keep my family from playing on the roads.

My family doesn't play on the roads. They use the roads the way most civilized people do. To get from point A to point B.

Fk that shallow little *****. His screen name fits him well.

Last edited by Natty C; 03-15-2021 at 07:42 PM.
vette196 (03-16-2021)

Quick Reply: When foreign cars think they are fast