brake bleeding issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 08:53 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,964 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
I don't think we care about your flushing habits, but the OP said these clues:

I've seen this many-a-time. Smeg in the brake system inhibits flow to or through some calipers. There is a SUPER fast, easy way to push the smeg through and out. It doesn't involve using a scan tool. If he does this fast, free thing....and can't push fluid through the rear brakes, THEN we might start looking at other components.

Just explaining why I THINK that I don't see the smeg.

I read his clue but I have also left my old MB in a yard for at least 4 months at a time over winter and didn't see any smeg but again, see above to explain why I might not have. I suggested the scan tool for the ABS. When you suggested pushing the crud out, I suggested taking the hose off the metal lines to see if it even flows there. If it does, I would reattach the hose and see if fluid comes out. If it does, reattach the hose to the caliper and try it at the caliper bleeder. That will tell me if the lines are collapsed. What part of that do you disagree with?

Last edited by aklim; 03-04-2021 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:36 PM
Nomake Wan
Drifting

Received 595 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I suggested the scan tool for the ABS.
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan
The ABS on a 95-96 Corvette is not an integrated system. Its hydraulic lines are completely isolated from the main brake system until an ABS event activates the solenoids that connects it to the hydraulic circuits. It is not likely to be your culprit.
For the umpteenth time, the Bosch V ABS used in the 1995-1996 Corvette is not an integrated system. It doesn't matter what your 87 or 91 Corvette did or what your old MB did or what your Excursion did. Completely and utterly irrelevant. The ABS on the 1995-1996 Corvette does not connect to the primary brake system until the computer actuates the solenoids during an ABS event. This is completely different from how many other ABS systems work, including in earlier C4 Corvettes.

So again, just...stop. It's not the ABS.
The following users liked this post:
Tom400CFI (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 10:51 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Totally. JFC

What part of that do you disagree with?
This part....
I suggested the scan tool for the ABS.
I suggested taking the hose off the metal lines to see if it even flows there.
I would reattach the hose and see if fluid comes out.
reattach the hose to the caliper and try it at the caliper bleeder.
...before doing something super, FAST, EASY, and FREE.

Also, how likely is it, that both rear hoses collapsed at the same time? . It's possible...but not too likely.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:01 AM
aklim
Team Owner

The ABS on the 1995-1996 Corvette does not connect to the primary brake system until the computer actuates the solenoids during an ABS event. This is completely different from how many other ABS systems work, including in earlier C4 Corvettes.
So for curiosity sake, if I wanted to pulse the ABS system and test it's functionality. Are you saying that the Kent Moore or whatever it is scan tool doesn't work on those systems? I was offered a chance to buy one a few years ago and they claimed it would work on all C4 ABS systems. If so, I'm glad I passed on it.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:53 PM
Nomake Wan
Drifting

So for curiosity sake, if I wanted to pulse the ABS system and test it's functionality. Are you saying that the Kent Moore or whatever it is scan tool doesn't work on those systems? I was offered a chance to buy one a few years ago and they claimed it would work on all C4 ABS systems. If so, I'm glad I passed on it.
This thread is talking about a problem with a 1996 Corvette where the OP is unable to properly bleed the rear calipers. As such, the ABS is completely and utterly irrelevant to the discussion since the ABS on a 1995-1996 Corvette is a non-integrated system.

But to answer your irrelevant-to-the-topic question anyway, any tool that includes the GM Mode 4 commands for a 1995+ Corvette will be able to run the automatic bleed process for the Bosch V ABS. I am not familiar with the Kent Moore scan tool so I cannot definitively say whether it does or not, but considering Kent Moore tools are referenced in the FSMs, I would imagine they would have to have the same functionality as an actual Tech 1A or Tech 2. However, note that in the C4 generation only the 1995-1996 Corvette has the Bosch V, and only the Bosch V has the 'auto bleed' function that requires a scan tool to actuate. All previous ABS systems have bleed valves on the ABS unit itself to use to bleed the ABS--yet another example of why the 1995-1996 system is completely and utterly different, and why it isn't related to the issue the OP is having.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

This thread is talking about a problem with a 1996 Corvette where the OP is unable to properly bleed the rear calipers. As such, the ABS is completely and utterly irrelevant to the discussion since the ABS on a 1995-1996 Corvette is a non-integrated system.

But to answer your irrelevant-to-the-topic question anyway, any tool that includes the GM Mode 4 commands for a 1995+ Corvette will be able to run the automatic bleed process for the Bosch V ABS. I am not familiar with the Kent Moore scan tool so I cannot definitively say whether it does or not, but considering Kent Moore tools are referenced in the FSMs, I would imagine they would have to have the same functionality as an actual Tech 1A or Tech 2. However, note that in the C4 generation only the 1995-1996 Corvette has the Bosch V, and only the Bosch V has the 'auto bleed' function that requires a scan tool to actuate. All previous ABS systems have bleed valves on the ABS unit itself to use to bleed the ABS--yet another example of why the 1995-1996 system is completely and utterly different, and why it isn't related to the issue the OP is having.
Thanks, Captain Obvious. Or is it Major or Colonel? Yes, I know that it's not his problem. Just trying to get more information on the tool to convince an independent shop to buy one. Unfortunately it is an uphill battle since it is for a dead platform and I will only need it once. OTOH, if there are more people who could benefit, maybe he might let the tool geek in him out.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:10 PM
Nomake Wan
Drifting

Thanks, Captain Obvious. Or is it Major or Colonel? Yes, I know that it's not his problem. Just trying to get more information on the tool to convince an independent shop to buy one. Unfortunately it is an uphill battle since it is for a dead platform and I will only need it once. OTOH, if there are more people who could benefit, maybe he might let the tool geek in him out.
Private Public, actually. And soon it won't matter because I have a Tech 2 in my hands and will be reverse-engineering all the ABS-related commands for the 92-96 ABS using my logic analyzer. That way you won't need to spend hundreds of dollars on antique electronics, and can instead just use the same cable-and-laptop you should already be using for everyone else.

OP, apologies for the hijack. Hopefully you get your rear caliper situation sorted.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:55 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Private Public, actually. And soon it won't matter because I have a Tech 2 in my hands and will be reverse-engineering all the ABS-related commands for the 92-96 ABS using my logic analyzer. That way you won't need to spend hundreds of dollars on antique electronics, and can instead just use the same cable-and-laptop you should already be using for everyone else..
Not "you" if you are referring to me since it affects 92 to 96 and I am 91. Besides, I can't be collecting anymore stuff. I have finally whittled down to 2 totes of C4 stuff, the rest either given away, sold for a song or just plain thrown away. Same with the Merkur crap. Friend died and when the storage shed went "bye bye", life was suddenly turned around.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:26 PM
grumpyvette
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

I figured you gentlemen might like an update on the brake issue,
it turned out to be an internal seal failure in the master cylinder
after some testing to be sure first,
I ordered a master cylinder from rock auto

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=309359...

it cured the issue after it was installed
The following 5 users liked this post by grumpyvette:
'78CorvetteS.A. (04-16-2021), kael (04-20-2021), KMS88Cal#16 (04-16-2021), Nomake Wan (04-16-2021), Tom400CFI (04-16-2021)

Quick Reply: brake bleeding issues