C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

[rant] sigh, here comes the freezing rain, again

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 06:03 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default [rant] sigh, here comes the freezing rain, again

Why? I just washed the car yesterday. I tried as well as I could with my aching back to spray off as much salt as I could and then proceeded to wash the car normally. It got up to about 50 degrees yesterday so it wasn't cold, actually it was rather pleasant while washing it, but alas it was all for nothing. I can't sleep for some reason so I look at the computer and wouldn't you know if we have this huge area of freezing rain over KY.

Ok, so I more or less expected the rain. I can't wash my car without having it rain the next day, that's just the law. However freezing rain is different. Nevermind that it's not cold enough at ground level to do anything, that doesn't matter. I promise you they've already dumped an ocean's worth of salt on the roads, so now I'll have to drive in a nice salty milkshake tomorrow and I won't get the chance to clean it again until Sunday at the earliest. It's such a great feeling to know that I didn't even get the chance to get the damn thing out of my driveway clean.

I can't blame the weather, but rather the people of KY. If they weren't so damn stupid they might not have to use 3 inches of salt for every half inch of snow. You guys from up north would really get a kick out of how everybody panics. I could go dump the ice from my freezer onto the roads and they'd close school. How did we develop a culture that can put a man on the moon but not drive in a quarter inch of snow? IMHO this country has a serious helplessness problem . Whatever happened to the the American can and will do spirit? The old "I walked forty miles in the snow uphill both ways" stories have a lot more truth to them than we like to let on. When my dad was growing up people took pride in themselves and their country, they tried to better themselves and they helped out their neighbors. At least they knew who their neighbors were.

Pride is a good thing, but foolish pride is even worse. People are so sure that they're right that they can't see the Forest for the Gump. They buy 4x4's for no reason. They never figure out how to drive these vehicles because that would be too much like learning something. 4 wheel drive goes completely unused when needed because they don't even know how to engage it. They can't let anybody teach them how to drive or give them advice because that would mean they might learn something.

When did we go from a nation of people who do things right because we want it right to a country who does just what is needed to get by and nothing else? Does anybody take pride in themselves anymore? What about an activity devoted to learning something rather than just watching T.V. I don't mean that you need to examine everything with a microscope, but how about some simple things? Watching T.V. completely mindless activity for 99.9% of Americans. Apparently their lives are so empty and devoid of meaning that they will just sit and watch a "reality" show and make this the most important thing in their life. Who oh who will possibly marry the Bachelor? I've got to keep track of this completely staged show or I just don't know what I would do! :bs

What's wrong wtih the History Channel, or Discovery? Hell you can even learn something from Junkyard Wars. It's far more entertaining because this really is real people overcoming an obstacle. Sure it's a made up obstacle but it's a whole lot harder than Survivor, where you might get "voted off the island" Oh no, whatever shall we do is bubba gets voted off the island because nobody likes him. It has nothing to do with how smart or able bubba is, just that nobody happened to like him. There is no cash prize to Junkyard Wars, there is no latenight talkshow fame, instead there is a far greater reward. The knowledge that your idea either worked or it didn't. You'll always look back on that and think about how it could have been done better, how could the invention have been improved. It makes people re-invent the wheel, and often times that's a good thing. You take a lot of stuff for granted until you understand how it truly works. Then, when you build it you take pride in it.

Nobody builds their own house anymore, nope they just buy one in a clone village. Nobody fixes their own cars anymore, they just buy a disposable car that they throw away after X amount of miles. They're far to "busy" watching Survivor to engage in any kind of meaningful activity. Why should they learn how their car works and how to fix it when they could be perfectly content to sit on the couch and pay somebody else to fix it. The whole "a modern car is far to complicated" excuse is a complete crock. Look at the age group of people on the forum here, look at how many people understand what's going on with their cars, just because they took the time to learn.

Hmm, gone from a messed up wash job to a full fledged rant about what's wrong with America. Not bad for 4 a.m. If you're like me and you're sick of this road salt dumping panic prone lemmings who hoard milk and bread with the first snowflake, I've got an idea. Go out and "tie a rope" across their driveway! It's not like anybody knows how to actually COOK with any of that food they hoard. They'll be stuck and might just have to "LEARN" something to get out. Other than it just being plain funny to watch them try and figure it out, they might be inspired to "LEARN" something else by the challenge. I doubt it though, that would be far to optimistic.

The next time you see one of these Toyota driving, non-cooking, Survivor watching "Americans" bundle up in 10 layers of clothing and bum a ride to the mailbox because there's an inch of snow on the ground, please do me a huge favor and punch them square in the face. They won't fight back, they'll just threaten to sue. Then go get in your Vette and drive away without incident on the snow covered roads. They won't be able to follow, even in their 4wd. Even if they could figure out how to get it in 4wd they wouldn't want to miss their next reality T.V. show.

Anybody else's wash job gonna get screwed by the weather?

[Modified by Nathan Plemons, 5:05 AM 12/10/2002]
Old 12-10-2002, 08:00 AM
Jimbo93
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: [rant] sigh, here comes the freezing rain, again (Nathan Plemons)

Hey Nate, at least you can wash yours in the winter. Up here in New Hampshire, it was 2 below zero this morning. I had to put my car away till March, unless we get a January thaw that provides us with enough rain to wash all the salt off the roads. Then I don't know if it would be worth getting out since I would have to put the battery back in.
Just 3 more years, and I'll be retired, sunning down in Fla this time of year.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:15 AM
Disco Stu
Safety Car

Reminds me of my last winter in St. Louis. Stopped to help a 4Runner that had gone almost off the road and the back end had slid into a pile made by the snow plows.

Yuppy lady in her mid 30s was sitting there just spinning one rear tire, digging herself deeper and deeper. After convincing her that I was trying to help, that I wasn't going to rape her and kill her little children, I told her to put it in 4LO and creep out of there. She didn't understand what I was saying.

So, I had to walk her through putting it in Neutral and putting the center diff in 4LO. She was amazed at how the truck slowly pulled itself out of the snow. After thanking me a couple of times, she said that her husband had told her never to touch the 4WD selector :rolleyes:

Great, don't teach someone how to use what they have, just tell them never to use it. That darn never is SOO complicated.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:21 AM
FELNGR8
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't blame the weather, but rather the people of KY. If they weren't so damn stupid they might not have to use 3 inches of salt for every half inch of snow. You guys from up north would really get a kick out of how everybody panics. I could go dump the ice from my freezer onto the roads and they'd close school. How did we develop a culture that can put a man on the moon but not drive in a quarter inch of snow? IMHO this country has a serious helplessness problem . Whatever happened to the the American can and will do spirit? The old "I walked forty miles in the snow uphill both ways" stories have a lot more truth to them than we like to let on.

[Modified by Nathan Plemons, 5:05 AM 12/10/2002]
Without even reading the rest, the answer is clear. Blame the lawyers!!!! If a single soul is hurt during a storm there would be a flood of lawsuits, so the authorities go overboard on prevention.

Have you signed up for the class action against McDs?? If you are overweight you can sue and make free money!!!! No one gave you a disclaimer with every big mac so you didn't know. They gave no legal notice that the fries are lethal so you're entitled to free money.

I already made up my mind I'm not going out in tomorrow's ice storm even in my GMC. It's just impossible with the mix of aggressive types and know-nothings and fraidy cats on the road. I think I have pressed my luck enough and I shouldn't risk it again. Besides, no one else will be at work to know I was there, so what's the point?
Old 12-10-2002, 08:35 AM
Lone Ranger
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are right about the helplessness problem we have evolved into. decades of modern conveniences have led to our forgetting how to do for ourselves and to a dependency on them. It is my firm belief that people 50 years ago and more, were tougher and more capable individuals than many of us today. Why? Because they had to be. We don't have to be, so we're not. Now, take away our modern technology-assisted lifestyle, and over time we wil again become tough and independent-spirited again, out of necessity. I guess I should clarify and state that the above is not all inclusive, there are those of us that are still jack of all trades master of none, and can be self-reliant and able to get things done when it involves more than a phone call or flipping a switch. :cheers:
Old 12-10-2002, 05:12 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: [rant] sigh, here comes the freezing rain, again (Lone Ranger)

i built an indoor washbay in my garage just for that reason. :yesnod:
Old 12-10-2002, 05:24 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The weather here in the minneapolis, MN area has been pretty calm so far, it only snowed once really, and it didnt stay. It seems like they won't plow the road until thier is at least 6 inches on em. I remeber last year driving to work at about 8 everyday and the sreets were terrible. You wouldn't believe how many accidents i see out my window every winter when it snows, we live on a pretty busy street and people always slide through the stop lighs and get hit or hit something. Our mailbox get taken out like 5-10 times a winter.
Old 12-10-2002, 09:12 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

Default Re: [rant] sigh, here comes the freezing rain, again (n1kki6)

My wash job got hosed this week, last week and the week before that. I'm about to the point where I say screw it, and just go to the carwash once a week and hose it down. It's got a couple good coats of wax on it, so it should be alright until spring. Even with a bucket of warm water, it's begining to be too much of a pain.

As to your other comments, the US is a country of victims. Noone is pro-active anymore, just re-active. Pro-activity requires thought and effort, lol. Silly Nathan.

J

PS, 99.9% sit in front of the TV, the other .1% are corvetteforum members :lol: :yesnod: :lol: :lol: :jester
Old 12-10-2002, 10:12 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: [rant] sigh, here comes the freezing rain, again (JCAIRE2)

[QUOTE
PS, 99.9% sit in front of the TV, the other .1% are corvetteforum members :lol: :yesnod: :lol: :lol: :jester [/QUOTE]

Well I thought about mentioning that, BUT, at least the forum has some potential to teach something. I know I have learned a lot hanging out here and I would like to think that I've taught a lot as well. It might be a way to vegitate as well, but there is some leanring potential. Of course I'm usually laying on my bed in full view of a T.V. WHILE I'm on the forum. It's just that the T.V. is very rarely on, and when it is it's usually something like the History Channel.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:36 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

I know your intent Nathan, I was just being a joker/ smart guy ;)

I hardly ever watch TV anymore, I can't learn about my vette there :lol: Unless History or discover have something decent on, I can't be bothered.

Get notified of new replies

To [rant] sigh, here comes the freezing rain, again

Quick Reply: [rant] sigh, here comes the freezing rain, again