Street tire recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 07:08 PM
rrubel
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Street tire recommendations?

Did a quick search but didn't find any recent results, so I'm asking...

I've got an '86 with later C4 17" wheels. The tires are <mumble> years old and definitely need replacing but it's getting REALLY difficult to find options that fit the car.

So far, Goodyear, Firestone, and BFG websites claim there's nothing that fits. I find that hard to believe, but...

Tirerack has ONE offering -- Continental Extreme Contact Sports summers. I've not been a fan of Contis since some bad experiences in the 90's, so this is not really a good option.

NTB has three options -- the Contis, some Nittos, and $500/per Pirelli P Zeros. $2k is more than I spent on tires for TWO other cars recently and my wife probably won't go for that...

So what are you all running, and where did you buy them? My Vette is a three-season car which does see rain occasionally (not by choice, but this is Maryland, so...) so my preference is all-seasons but I could buy wet-handling summers too.

Thanks all!

[RICHR]
Old 01-16-2021, 08:18 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,706 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Are your wheels all 17x9.5, or are you running 17x8.5 up front? This affects tire choices somewhat. I'm guessing the latter since you can't find many choices? If so, stop looking at 255/45/17 and 285/40/17 and look for 245/45/17 and 275/40/17 instead. That will open up your options considerably.

That said, I'm going to tell that if you don't need to drive it much in below-freezing temps (and definitely not snow/ice), then the Conti EC Sport is one hell of a great tire. They are very good in quality, outstanding in dry grip, and one of the best "ultra high performance summer" tires in the rain (the other being the Michelin PS4). In fact these are a favorite rain tire for autocross competition where street tires are mandated (thus outlawing the dedicated track rain tires). The only limitation on these tires is they aren't supposed to be driven in below-freezing temps, and of course that also means they are bad for snow/ice.

If you're really dead set against the Contis, then going to the sizes I suggested will get you options for a Kumho PA51, General G-Max AS-05, BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, and the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1. I've seen positive reviews for all of these. You'll give up some dry traction and handling qualities, but you won't have to worry about driving in below-freezing temps either. Even in that size, I'd suggest the Contis if you don't need the winter weather use. It's really down to how important that aspect is to you.
The following users liked this post:
snlshow (01-19-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 08:26 PM
PoloGreen’95
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rrubel
Did a quick search but didn't find any recent results, so I'm asking...

I've got an '86 with later C4 17" wheels. The tires are <mumble> years old and definitely need replacing but it's getting REALLY difficult to find options that fit the car.

So far, Goodyear, Firestone, and BFG websites claim there's nothing that fits. I find that hard to believe, but...

Tirerack has ONE offering -- Continental Extreme Contact Sports summers. I've not been a fan of Contis since some bad experiences in the 90's, so this is not really a good option.

NTB has three options -- the Contis, some Nittos, and $500/per Pirelli P Zeros. $2k is more than I spent on tires for TWO other cars recently and my wife probably won't go for that...

So what are you all running, and where did you buy them? My Vette is a three-season car which does see rain occasionally (not by choice, but this is Maryland, so...) so my preference is all-seasons but I could buy wet-handling summers too.

Thanks all!

[RICHR]
I am in the same boat. I have seen all of the same options after a large amount of research. I will not be purchasing for about another year so maybe new options will arise. However, I just keep hearing good things about the continentals. Let me know if you find anything, people suggest changing sizes but that is not for me I won’t switch from my 255 and 285s.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:45 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,425 Likes on 1,032 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I suggest the Continentals, otherwise I'd go with BFGs.

I've run Kumho before and they are fine but they don't stay sticky that long, once the new is off they just stay slippery.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:09 PM
rrubel
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have the two different widths; the rims were free, so I can't complain. Do I lose anything with the alternate tire sizing? Lower-profile so rougher ride or mis-reading speedo?

I drive almost all of the time above freezing, but very occasionally my daily driver will be in the shop or something and I need the Vette, and I can't always predict what the weather will be like. That's also why I need good rain traction. That said, if the Contis really are that good of a tire, I may have to just take my chances. It's been 25-30 years since I last had them and I guess they've improved some. Do they hold up well to aggressive driving? I know you said people autocross in them, but I sometimes do Fridays at the Track or the local drag strip. While I have a pair of Mickey Thompson drag radials for the rears when I hit the strip, the fronts are my normal street tires and that's also what goes to the track with me.

I have Kumho Ecsta Supras on there now, and I agree -- very sticky when new, very spinny as they age.

[RICHR]
Old 01-16-2021, 09:32 PM
93QuasarBlue
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I shopped the staggered setup hard and the Contis are all that is available. The euro crowd bmws and MBs are Conti fans. Some 20 years ago is a long time for a bad memory. The fronts are not quite as "round" on the sidewall so you may be able to increase the (section) width 10mm and open up some options, but compensate the aspect ratio accordingly. I got a $70 rebate card from tire rack and just cashed it on a plumbing project today, so there you go.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:09 PM
Fiberbundle
Burning Brakes

Received 340 Likes on 263 Posts

I just put BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus on my 95 and they work well here in the Pacific Northwest. I do not drive in snow but occasionally get caught in cold rain and do not think you will find a better all around tire. I had the Nitto 555s on my 92 and never again would I buy Nitto tires.
I run 245/45/17 on the front and 275/40/17 on the rear. This results in identical diameter tires front to rear so there are no potential issues with ABS.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:40 PM
93QuasarBlue
Racer

I had BFGs on my z4. Good tire. That had a little more white noise.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:55 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have the two different widths; the rims were free, so I can't complain. Do I lose anything with the alternate tire sizing? Lower-profile so rougher ride or mis-reading speedo?
No problems there. They are only 0.4" shorter, so not enough to throw the speed off. They could theoretically ride a little rougher, but there will be bigger differences among various tire models of the same size than between the same tire in both sizes. Chevy went to the skinnier front wheels and "balloonier" tires to soften the ride and eliminate tramlining compared to 9.5s with 275-width tires. But I ran the sizes I'm suggesting on the street a fair amount and it never tramlined. It sure did with all the different 11" wheels and 315-width tires I used up there, though!

I drive almost all of the time above freezing, but very occasionally my daily driver will be in the shop or something and I need the Vette, and I can't always predict what the weather will be like. That's also why I need good rain traction. That said, if the Contis really are that good of a tire, I may have to just take my chances.
The issue in cold weather for the EC Sport (or any summer-only tire) is that the compound can get brittle and crack. I've gotten away with it as have many others. And these aren't like the competition-oriented tires, so their compounds aren't as extreme. If it were my car I'd probably take my chances on with very occasional driving in freezing weather, but there's no guarantees.

Do they hold up well to aggressive driving? I know you said people autocross in them, but I sometimes do Fridays at the Track or the local drag strip.
The drag strip use up front would be a walk in the park for these tires. I know people who have tracked them without any problems, too.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:56 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

oops, double post

Last edited by MatthewMiller; 01-16-2021 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:24 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 124 Posts

Put Michelins on last summer. So far very pleased. There was a special on them $175.00 Ea. Tire Rack had them although I got them through a Chevy dealer. All seasons pilot sport 4
Old 01-17-2021, 11:11 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kenmohr
Put Michelins on last summer. So far very pleased. There was a special on them $175.00 Ea. Tire Rack had them although I got them through a Chevy dealer. All seasons pilot sport 4
Just to clarify nomenclature to the OP (it gets confusing), the Michelin PS 4 and 4S aren't all-season tires. They are summer-only, max-performance tires that compete directly with the Conti EC Sport (they are very, very close in all aspects of performance). They also aren't available in either size combo the OP can use. The All Season 4 is of course all-season and can be had in the 245/275 combo, but it's not available in the 245/45/17 and 275/40/17 combo that I'm recommending to the OP.

PS - I notice that on Tire Rack's site you don't get all the available tires if you put in separate sizes for front and rear tires. For example, a search for the 245/45/17 and 275/40/17 combo don't show the Conti EC Sport, even though it's actually available in both sizes. I don't know why. But if you have a tire you're interested in, just look up that tire by brand and then check the sizes.

Last edited by MatthewMiller; 01-17-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:14 PM
rrubel
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

This is the Conti EC Sport, right? TireRack does show it for me when I query on the staggered tire widths. That's in fact the only option I see.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...e&autoModClar=

But very good point about trying different searches just based on each size. Since these aren't AWD, there's no reason not to have different pairs of brands/tires front/rear.

EDIT: Ok... it's the rears that are the problem size. I get eight options for the fronts and two for the rears at Tire Rack, the second being the $500+ Pirellis. Goodyear and Firestone don't make 285/40 or 275/40 in diameters less than 19, either.

Thanks.
[RICHR]

Last edited by rrubel; 01-17-2021 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:31 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

This is the Conti EC Sport, right? TireRack does show it for me when I query on the staggered tire widths. That's in fact the only option I see.
That's it. It shows it if you search for 255/45/17 and 285/40/17. It does not show it if you search for 245/45/17 and 275/40/17, though. I don't know why. I just messaged an acquaintance who works there and he doesn't know why, either. It's very strange.

But very good point about trying different searches just based on each size. Since these aren't AWD, there's no reason not to have different pairs of brands/tires front/rear.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. I would generally not recommend mixing brands or even models of tires, unless you're looking for some niche application like drag radials. It's far better for handling to have the same model tires front and rear. I just meant that on Tire Rack, if you want different sizes front and rear, search independently for each size and then cross reference to the other size to see if a particular model comes in both sizes.

EDIT: Ok... it's the rears that are the problem size. I get eight options for the fronts and two for the rears at Tire Rack, the second being the $500+ Pirellis.

Right, so that makes the search pretty easy! That Pirellis is also not available in a front size that would work for you. Plus, it's a super-soft compound (140!) that wouldn't even be legal for most autocross classes. That means it's going to wear very quickly and it would have a big risk for damage if you drove it in below-freezing temps.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:44 PM
CorvetteRules
Drifting

Received 337 Likes on 236 Posts

Back in October I went with the BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus in the 245/45/17 and 275/40/17 sizes as suggested by MatthewMiller and have been very happy with them.

Last edited by CorvetteRules; 01-17-2021 at 04:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
93QuasarBlue (01-19-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 04:29 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Just to clarify nomenclature to the OP (it gets confusing), the Michelin PS 4 and 4S aren't all-season tires. They are summer-only, max-performance tires that compete directly with the Conti EC Sport (they are very, very close in all aspects of performance). They also aren't available in either size combo the OP can use. The All Season 4 is of course all-season and can be had in the 245/275 combo, but it's not available in the 245/45/17 and 275/40/17 combo that I'm recommending to the OP.

PS - I notice that on Tire Rack's site you don't get all the available tires if you put in separate sizes for front and rear tires. For example, a search for the 245/45/17 and 275/40/17 combo don't show the Conti EC Sport, even though it's actually available in both sizes. I don't know why. But if you have a tire you're interested in, just look up that tire by brand and then check the sizes.
Here is the listing. need to check under vehicle year
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 | 275/40ZR17 (tirerack.com)
Old 01-18-2021, 09:37 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kenmohr
Here is the listing. need to check under vehicle year
Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 | 275/40ZR17 (tirerack.com)
Yes, and so anyone with 17x9.5 tires front and rear can run these. The OP has the 17x8.5 front wheels and there is not a proper size available for that wheel.
The following 2 users liked this post by MatthewMiller:
kenmohr (01-19-2021), rrubel (01-18-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Street tire recommendations?

Old 01-19-2021, 04:30 PM
rrubel
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Argh. I was reading more on the Continentals and contacted the company with some questions. In the end, they're not going to work for me (in fact, no summer tire will).
-- You can't keep the tires on the car on the ground in the winter because in subzero temps the weight of the vehicle can damage them. This means I either need a second set of rims and all-seasons anyway (plus room to store these), or I have to put the car on stands, which isn't feasible.
-- You aren't supposed to drive on them under 45 (!) degrees. That... basically means truly summer-only, since it can drop below that in early September.

So... need to find all-seasons. Or a bigger garage.

Thanks
[RICHR]

Last edited by rrubel; 01-19-2021 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:21 PM
93QuasarBlue
Racer

I know. That is then you have these winter or summer set, like I have while selling my camaro. Trying to move a spare set of tires and wheels if your done with it, is next to impossible. I am just trying to sell my camaro with both the custom summer and oem winter sets as a give away. Those oems are nothing to write home about. But, anyways, plan on eating any extra sets of wheels and tires. That's why I didn't go crazy with replacement wheels since mine are in good shape, and the oems buzz saw wheels seems like we like them. Staggered setup with one direction is the worst setup, but I only spent the least amount I had to up front (like $710 after rebate?), learning that $2200 lesson.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:42 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Argh. I was reading more on the Continentals and contacted the company with some questions. In the end, they're not going to work for me (in fact, no summer tire will).
-- You can't keep the tires on the car on the ground in the winter because in subzero temps the weight of the vehicle can damage them. This means I either need a second set of rims and all-seasons anyway (plus room to store these), or I have to put the car on stands, which isn't feasible.
-- You aren't supposed to drive on them under 45 (!) degrees. That... basically means truly summer-only, since it can drop below that in early September.

So... need to find all-seasons. Or a bigger garage.

Thanks
[RICHR]
Look at the EC "DWS"....their all season

Quick Reply: Street tire recommendations?