** I hate to ask, but snow tires on the vette??? **

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 11:04 AM
LT4SilverEagle
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default ** I hate to ask, but snow tires on the vette??? **

My CE is now my daily driver up here in Boston (I had to get rid of my beater 4wd) and I think I'll need better grip than the 2yo GSC's can provide.

Has anyone done this? Recomendations on brand, type, size? I have P285/40ZR17 now.

How about rims that will fit my CE? Any body got 2 cheap?

I hate doing this :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss but am stuck, at least for a little while.

HELP??!!??!!??!! Thanks in advance...

[Modified by LT4SilverEagle, 12:19 PM 12/5/2002]
Old 12-05-2002, 12:03 PM
T1Kilr
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ** I hate to ask, but snow tires on the vette??? ** (LT4SilverEagle)

well Mr.Silver... I have one suggestion for you. I have them on my 93 and absolutely love them. They are about as inexpensive as the Kumho's but I think they are a better tread design. BFGoodrich KDW-S 275-45r17 check them on Tirerack. I think they have a nice stable tread design and so far good traction on wet surfaces and standing water. I havent tried them on a road track but on the crappy roads in Michigan, they seem to be doing well.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:10 PM
LT4SilverEagle
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: ** I hate to ask, but snow tires on the vette??? ** (T1Kilr)

...I have them on my 93 and absolutely love them. ......BFGoodrich KDW-S 275-45r17.....
How about in Snow?
Old 12-05-2002, 12:17 PM
stinger95
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: ** I hate to ask, but snow tires on the vette??? ** (LT4SilverEagle)

I have one suggestion. Buy a POS winter beater.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:18 PM
LT4SilverEagle
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: ** I hate to ask, but snow tires on the vette??? ** (stinger95)

I have one suggestion. Buy a POS winter beater.
READ the original post...... :p: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I wish I could... :rolleyes:
Old 12-05-2002, 12:18 PM
T1Kilr
Drifting

I havent gotten caught out with more than a dusting but I have no complaints. BTW... they are rated for snow

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....cleSearch=true
Old 12-05-2002, 12:20 PM
LT4SilverEagle
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: ** I hate to ask, but snow tires on the vette??? ** (T1Kilr)

T1Kilr :seeya
Old 12-05-2002, 12:45 PM
LT4BUD
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the KDWS and they have been great so far for street traction situations. I haven't driven them on snow but I have had the car out in very cold weather and they grip very well. When I bought these, KD's were optimized for dry conditions, KDS's were for wet/dry, and KDWS's were All-season tires. They are better than GSC's, but I suspect if you really get in deep snow conditions you will have problems. Probably this will be true no matter what tires based on very low ground clearance.
Old 12-05-2002, 12:51 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,195 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: ** I hate to ask, but snow tires on the vette??? **

Check out the Pirrelli P7000 and the Michelin Pilot Sport AS. Both of these are all season high performance tires that should handle light snow duty and still offer great dry traction. I've used the Pirrelli (actually have another pair sitting in the garage right now) and they are a great tire.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:04 PM
Jimbo93
Drifting

As you can see, I'm from New Hampshire, and I'll tell you right now, I don't care what anybody says, "WIDE TIRES AND SNOW DON'T MIX". They tend to make you ride on top of the snow, and stopping? Forget it, you might as well have put skis on. If a car stops suddenly in front of you, better head for the snowbank.

Bottom line is if you absolutely have to drive your Vette in snow, BE VERY CAUTIOUS, and keep a very safe distance from the car in front of you.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Old 12-05-2002, 01:16 PM
LT4SilverEagle
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: ** I hate to ask, but snow tires on the vette??? ** (Jim Holbrook)

As you can see, I'm from New Hampshire, and I'll tell you right now, I don't care what anybody says, "WIDE TIRES AND SNOW DON'T MIX". They tend to make you ride on top of the snow, and stopping? Forget it, you might as well have put skis on. If a car stops suddenly in front of you, better head for the snowbank.

Bottom line is if you absolutely have to drive your Vette in snow, BE VERY CAUTIOUS, and keep a very safe distance from the car in front of you.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
SOOOoooo true Jim. I hate having to drive my baby in the snow, but I have no choice, at least for now. So maybe thinner rims and skinny snows? I don't know... :cry :cry :cry I'm just so po'ed that I'm in this situation, and they say we will get 6" of the white poopie today. Started snowing 30 minutes ago, and I'm thinking of leaving NOW! Oh well.

Any more suggestions?
Old 12-05-2002, 01:35 PM
Jimbo93
Drifting

If you can afford skinny tires and rims, you should be able to afford a beater.
I put skinny snow tires on a 5.0 Mustang I had once. I had better traction but lost all my handling. I hope things work out for you, good luck. :cheers:
Old 12-05-2002, 08:47 PM
graddium
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

I have KDWS's on my 95, and I had to drive it in the snow today! Actually, the roads were only wet, but the parking lot I parked in had about 1/3" of snow on it. It was funny, I turned the wheel to get into a parking space, but my vette keep going straight! I think that was mostly cause I was going faster than I should have, as when I tried turning at a lower speed (<5mph) it turned fine. I don't think it would be very fun to drive on actual roads with snow, but I suppose it could be done if you are going way slow.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:33 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I just put 4 blizzacks on my 87 and I can go anywhere in snow.
Old 12-07-2002, 05:41 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

The law requires use of winter tires here, driving with summer tires = big fine and possible lose of license.

I got Pirelli Winter 210 (or 230?) Asymetrico 255-40-17's.
3rd winter with them and they work great.

toni

Old 12-08-2002, 02:42 AM
Ron78Z&66Vette
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure if they make them in your size, but I've heard good things about Blizzaks. Something else to consider is picking up some used 4th Gen F-Body wheels to mount snow tires on. You can easily get a set of used aluminum wheels for $200. You could probably pick up some butt ugly (in my opinion at least :) ) 4th Gen steel wheels for less than $150.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:31 AM
LT4SilverEagle
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: ** I hate to ask, but snow tires on the vette??? ** (Ron78Z&85Vette)

Not sure if they make them in your size, but I've heard good things about Blizzaks. Something else to consider is picking up some used 4th Gen F-Body wheels to mount snow tires on. You can easily get a set of used aluminum wheels for $200. You could probably pick up some butt ugly (in my opinion at least :) ) 4th Gen steel wheels for less than $150.
Thats true....... and DAMN that Finland driving must be nuts!! I was looking at 2 Blizzacks for the rear and a set of 4th gen cheap ugly asz rims.

I hate this, but cheaper by far than buying a beater, registering, insuring, and paying excise taxes in the POS.

Get notified of new replies

To ** I hate to ask, but snow tires on the vette??? **

Old 12-10-2002, 05:43 PM
n1kki6
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont know about boston but you can get a winter beater that runs here in Minnesota for like 400 bucks, just need to drive out of the metro area and go to some small towns in the rural areas and you can always find a deal. I got a 90 daytona, ran great, decent condition for 400 once, drove it for like 6 months and sold it for 500. plus insurance was only like 40 bucks a month, i dont know how your tax and registraion works or costs there though.

[Modified by n1kki6, 4:45 PM 12/10/2002]
Old 12-10-2002, 06:22 PM
KyleBst264
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, for what it would cost you to put snow tires and rims on your Corvette, you could buy a POS winter-beater and not have to take your Corvette out in the snow, rock-salt, sand, slush, and most of all stupid drivers on the road. But that's just my opinion.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:37 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: ** I hate to ask, but snow tires on the vette??? ** (KyleBst264)

I agree, buy a POS. I just sold two 'winter beaters' for $400 each. One was an old beat up 84 blazer, but the 4X4 worked, heat was great, and it ran like a top... Looked like a blister... The other was an '87 Celebrity... that car was a tank!! I inherited a '93 Chevy pickup so I didn't need the beaters any more, but, in the local papers/want ads, cheap beaters are a dime a dozen, and you can sell them in the spring for the same, if not more, to a college kid(to make up for your insurance/excise, etc).... The Vette, on roads like we have, mixed with snow? Forget about it, horror show.
Jeff

Quick Reply: ** I hate to ask, but snow tires on the vette??? **