Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Eliminate or Aftermarket Mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 09:27 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Of course they like it. It's loud. Loud is good. I know the kids like my Borla and the wife hated it. I think she's glad it was destroyed and the Corsa is quite a bit better, noise wise. Now she is willing to ride with me in it.
The following users liked this post:
Little Red L98 (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 09:29 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

It's not a ZR-1 scrap it...........

I'm joking alright!
Little Red L98 (10-09-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 09:31 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WydGlydJim
It's not a ZR-1 scrap it...........

I'm joking alright!
Only when the motor fails. That is a big ticket item that hits the line.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:30 PM
ACMX92
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 77 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
2021 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Little Red L98
Cost is a factor. I’m not necessarily cheap but I am frugal. And I know what I want - a decent sound, louder than stock, that’s still quiet when I’m cruising along. It ain’t a hot rod but it can sound like one when I stomp on the gas.

I saw something like this but with an H pipe. With no cat or mufflers it might be too loud or not have enough back pressure. Speed shop dude will know. He sounded excited about the prospect.

I have that exact same exhaust with a set of dual working outlet reproduction mufflers. It is plenty loud and actually has a bunch of drone below 2000 rpm. I think the drone is either due to the lack of a crossover or the fact that both muffler tips are open and causing some sort of resonance.

I went with this exhaust simply because it was the cheapest setup out there. I'd really like to go with a pypes setup in the future.
Little Red L98 (10-08-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 10:17 AM
CarLover014
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you plan on going with muffler eliminators, head to an exhaust shop and have them cut out the mufflers and weld in a pipe in the mufflers' place. It should take maybe an hour, tops. I had it done to my 1996 for $75 including them welding the LT1 tips on the new pipe as well.
95AQUAMET (10-12-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 11:37 AM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

I had muffler elliminators on my car and decided to replace the front y pipe with the mini cat eliminators so I still had a big cat in the middle. Sounded way to loud ... I couldn't live with it so I put on stock mufflers and now it's much better. If you care about your neighbors, go with mufflers.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:05 PM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 428 Likes on 125 Posts
2018 C4 of the Year Winner
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Originally Posted by CarLover014
If you plan on going with muffler eliminators, head to an exhaust shop and have them cut out the mufflers and weld in a pipe in the mufflers' place. It should take maybe an hour, tops. I had it done to my 1996 for $75 including them welding the LT1 tips on the new pipe as well.
Pipes are rusted from cat back. Mufflers are ok. I’ll get it on a lift next week to check it all out and see what truly needs replaced. Cat elimination will throw a code setting off the annoying check engine light but it will run fine. Might end up keeping it. I don’t know yet.

Originally Posted by 3D-Aircrew
I had muffler elliminators on my car and decided to replace the front y pipe with the mini cat eliminators so I still had a big cat in the middle. Sounded way to loud ... I couldn't live with it so I put on stock mufflers and now it's much better. If you care about your neighbors, go with mufflers.
I want this to be a one and done proposition, not buy/install something, find out I don’t like it then buy/install again. Not too worried about neighbors. I’m respectful enough not to gun it in the hood and I never speed in my own neighborhood.
3D-Aircrew (10-13-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 07:51 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Cat elimination will throw a code setting off the annoying check engine light but it will run fine. Might end up keeping it. I don’t know yet.

I want this to be a one and done proposition, not buy/install something, find out I don’t like it then buy/install again. Not too worried about neighbors. I’m respectful enough not to gun it in the hood and I never speed in my own neighborhood.
Running fine just means you notice nothing and NOT that nothing is wrong. It will compensate until it can't. Also, you have one check engine light and 5000 other things that can be bad. Fill up the space with the Cat removal and you won't know of anything until it is really bad. I'd either get O2 Sims or get it programmed out.

Hard to say since I know I hate my Borla because of the noise and prefer the Corsa because of it being more quiet.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:27 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

I’m told it will run lean if the exhaust flows too freely unless it’s tuned to compensate. Makes sense. I plan on removing the cat so the only restriction is the stock manifold. I’m just a casual gearhead so I’ll defer to the speed shop experts.
Less back pressure is better, however there is a risk on speed density engine management systems. Large changes in back pressure (eg going from a stock setup to cutouts) can change the volumetric efficiency of the engine (easier to breathe = raised VE). The PCM does not know this change and delivers what is assumed the correct fuel amount based on MAP, potentially leading to a lean condition. Obviously, this is one reason MAF based systems respond better to mods as they read air amount directly and could detect the VE change.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:57 PM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 428 Likes on 125 Posts
2018 C4 of the Year Winner
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

I don’t know where I’m going yet but this is a good discussion. Muchas gracias.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:35 PM
Incorvettei
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 225 Posts

Have a corsa system on my 86. Nice sound at normal driving, no drone on the highway and when I boot it the exhaust sounds great

Quick Reply: Eliminate or Aftermarket Mufflers?