C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rogers Corvette Center

Old 11-30-2002, 12:18 AM
ZO6 BOY
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rogers Corvette Center

Hey Guys,
I'm not the type to start a bunch of bad rumors about businesses, especially a Corvette specialty dealer, but I was disapointed with the service at Rogers today. Myself, my brother, brother-in-law, and father are down for the Turkey Run and made a swing over to Orlando to see some friends. We're all Corvette owners (6 between the 4 of us) and when we passed Rogers we decided to stop and look around. We're really not looking to buy anything right now, but if the right car was to show up, we would find a way to purchase it. We walked around Rogers for 20 minutes and not once were we approached by a sales rep. to see if we needed help. You may say that they were busy but we were the only people in there besides another couple. I noticed an EB Z06 with some aftermarket wheels and exhaust out behind Rogers shop. I was merely interested in looking at the car and was rudely told to go back inside the showroom. Anywayz, we left Rogers and went across the Road to H&H Corvette and talked to J.C. for over an hour about ZR-1's and various performance mods.
Don't get me wrong, the selection of cars were great, but this is not the first time Roger's has made a bad impression on me. My dad went into Rogers a few years ago with the intention of buying a mid year that was in the showroom. He said the attitude of the sales rep. was so poor that he just left. I felt as if I needed to waltz around with money hanging out of my pockets to get some assitance. I realize that if I was truly there to buy a car then I would of sought help from one of the reps., but what kind of customer relations does that show the public. You have to hastle the sales reps. to sell you a car. I thought that car salesmen are surpose to hastle the customer to buy a car. We'll Rogers may have good customer relations, but I didn't see that today. Like I said earlier I'm not one to start something, but I was really disapointed with the service after I've heard all this hype of how wonderful a dealership Roger's is. :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad
Old 11-30-2002, 12:22 AM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Default Re: Rogers Corvette Center (ZO6 BOY)

You've got to wonder what they are thinking.....they have so much business that they could care less about us average guy's even if we have the $$$$$ to buy...What give's....they just don't care about the small guy....big bucks in those collectors???? Right????????
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Old 11-30-2002, 01:26 AM
rbhighrise
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Spend a few more years being attacked prior to even exiting your vehicle at other car lots and you will probably appreciate a more laidback approach.

Best of luck!
:cheers:
Old 11-30-2002, 04:27 AM
94whtlt1vert
Advanced

Default Re: Rogers Corvette Center (rbhighrise)

Go to Corvettes of Houston and let them greet you at the door and walk around with you to every car in the room.
samb :lurk: :lurk: :lurk:
Old 11-30-2002, 07:14 AM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Kerbeck here in Atlantic City is similar.

Back when I was shopping for a vette, I went there with some friends who were also looking to buy.

At that time I didn't know what I wanted.

I'm wearing blue jeans and a T-shirt.

I hopped in a spanking new '00 FRC, black/black. What a sweet car, I really love black/black. That's what I wanted, no exceptions. The salesman came over we bullpoopieted for a while, I offered him a trade, my farm in Delaware for the car. He laughed, can't blame him, but I was semi serious.

They wanted 36,400 for it which was not a bad price, but a bit more than I wanted to spend.

I ended up buying elsewhere, but that's a whole different story.

Well fast forward two years and I'm back at Kerbeck with REDGAR, he wanted to get rid of his C4 and get a C5.

We looked at a '99 coupe, even got to test drive this time. The salesman(same guy as two years earlier) got a little pissed when Edgar took it out and "got on it". When I took it for a spin, he told me,"There will be no , 'getting on it' today", I replied, "What's the point of driving it, if you aren't going to see what it can do?" Based on that I would have just walked out and gone elsewhere.

Edgar wanted it and the price was right.

But I love going into places such as these knowing full well that I can buy almost any car in the joint, but I don't show it. They are always surprised to see me leave in my vette, usually in a cloud of tire smoke.

They have to remember that appearances aren't everything and I refuse to "dress to impress" for anyone, no matter the situation.

Even when I die, I want to be buried in my favorite T-shirt and jeans.
Old 11-30-2002, 07:59 AM
GS583
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Rogers Corvette Center (Mr Mojo)

I'm with you Mojo, jeans and t shirt here also and I'm on the backside of 50. I remember my father telling me a true story about a local farmer in overalls that was in the nicest department store in this area in the 1950's. His wife had picked out a very nice dress and coat and he pulled a counter check out of his bibs and wrote it it out. The clerk had to check if it was good, so called the small town bank. The President of the bank told the department store if that gentleman would like to buy the store, take the check, it's good! Sometimes appearances are not what they seem. Not a rant against dealers, I've heard a lot of good things about Roger's, just don't jump to conclusions by the way a person is dressed.

[Modified by GS583, 7:04 AM 11/30/2002]
Old 11-30-2002, 10:43 AM
96 Collector Edition
Safety Car

Default Re: Rogers Corvette Center (GS583)

I also had a negative experience with Rogers last summer. I was in Orlando visiting relatives and was determined to get to Rogers since I had heard so many good things about them. I got there and looked around the showroom for awhile and was not approached. At some point I decided I wanted to drive a GS and a 99 coupe. I approached a salesman who turned out to be Roger himself. He asked me to come back in about an hour as he was the only person available at the time and could not leave the showroom. I said fine and returned in an hour.

The GS ride was first...Roger drove it down the street the dealership is on for about 2 miles.....I then got to drive it back to the dealership. Needless to say I barely got out of 3rd gear. The same procedure ensued with the 99 coupe. I complained to Roger about not being able to even get a feel for the car with such a short test drive.....Roger replied that the traffic was so bad you would have to go 20 minutes outside of the city to really do what I wanted to do......he did NOT offer to do that.

I also went to H+H Corvettes and talked to JC and drove a very nice 2001 NBM coupe. If I had been ready to buy, JC would've had my business, not Roger. JC also showed me his ZR1 that he was working on.

I also believe that much of Rogers business is rich guys who trade every 1,500 miles or something like that.........whatever the reason, Roger left a very bad impression....... :mad :mad :mad

[Modified by 96 Collector Edition, 9:45 AM 11/30/2002]
Old 11-30-2002, 10:47 AM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Rogers Corvette Center (GS583)

That is VERY true. I went into a local shop down Cape Cod this past summer, Mike's Corvettes, and I was in jeans/t-shirt, like normal on my days off, and he wouldn't even let me take it out till I was approved financing!! Why would I want to run my credit, if I dont know what I want to BUY?? I thought that was backwards. It's too bad that people have to 'rate' people by the clothes they have on... Sort of like the discrimination others have been going through for decades.... Shame.

Jeff
Old 11-30-2002, 10:52 AM
GRNVNM93
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Rogers Corvette Center (Jbaker)

How ironic!! I am in Orlando also and was bound and determined to go by and see Rogers Corvette for my first time. Now i'm kinda of turned off. But i would like to go to confirm their crappy attitudes!!! Who needs 'em!
Old 11-30-2002, 11:20 AM
Hurricane_777
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Rogers Corvette Center (rbhighrise)

Spend a few more years being attacked prior to even exiting your vehicle at other car lots and you will probably appreciate a more laidback approach.
Many people actually appreciate this approach. There is little I hate more than having a salesman follow me around a lot or store.

The other factor you have in play at "vette only" dealers is the large number of tire kickers that frequent the place. These salespeople end up seeing so many of them that it becomes hard to distinguish who's there to buy and who isn't. Eventually and every now and again, they end up treating a "buying customer" more like a tire kicker. Not saying it's right, just that it happens.

As for the t-shirt and jeans crowd, I can relate as I've been pushed away from dealers based on my age. The best technique I've found is to make the first contact through email. Totally anonymous and you end up getting better treatment when you arrive on the lot. :thumbs:
Old 11-30-2002, 12:58 PM
jdog0411
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Rogers Corvette Center (Hurricane_777)

I agree that people are judged way too often by appearances, but I'm not sure how salespeople are supposed to get that first impression of whether a person is a "tire kicker" or a buyer.

I have been house shopping, and because my wife and I appear to be pretty young (I am 29 and she is 25). When we walk into a model home that is relatively expensive, we get the cold shoulder right away. I can tell that the agent is thinking that we are either just looking around, or we are "mistakenly" in the wrong development. The first question they ask is "so, what kind of price range are you looking at?" We are usually not dressed to impress either, but it is frustrating. I enjoy telling them what I do and what we are looking for, because their attitudes change drastically.

Corvette buying is probably the same way. Corvettes are high line cars, so I'm sure salespeople are screening people as they walk in the door. First impressions are really all they have to go on to see if you are "worth their time". It's not right, but I can't totally blame them. I'm sure I will have this problem when I go vette shopping also. I plan on having my financing pre-approved before I even go to the dealership, so I'll just tell them I have my financing pre-approved (without telling them how much) and get down to making a deal on a vette. Hopefully that will cut through the :bs

You have to admit, Rogers has some damn nice Vettes though!
Old 11-30-2002, 03:12 PM
85vetteguy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I do not like to be hassled on a car lot but it is nice if a salesman introduces him/herself and lets you know they are available if you have any questions.I think everyone is a potential buyer. Many cars are bought by people that had no intention of buying a car but saw one and fell in love. I think this is especially true w/ vettes. If I were a salesman I would be all over them trying to make some money. I guess some just don't care. Guy
Old 11-30-2002, 03:45 PM
hngacurv
Race Director

Default Re: Rogers Corvette Center (85vetteguy)

I do not like to be hassled on a car lot but it is nice if a salesman introduces him/herself and lets you know they are available if you have any questions.I think everyone is a potential buyer.
This is exactly the type of service I like. :thumbs:
Old 11-30-2002, 09:06 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

My dad Bob88convertable bought that car from them a few years back I cant speak to how he felt about his experince with them but I was there when he took delivery of the car and was eyeballing a 67 he had on the floor the sales guy said about 15 words to me and then walked away and we were there giving them money that day for a car! Go figure?
Old 11-30-2002, 11:15 PM
Bob88Convertible
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Rogers Corvette Center (Steve87VETTE)

I lived in Winter Park, Fl, just a couple miles from where Roger had his original shop in Maitland, Fl. Back then he was a lot smaller dealer and he and his sales people were much better. He has grown so big now, I guess he figures he does'nt need us. I bought my present corvette there, but will not go back. His service and his salesmens attitudes leave a lot to be desired.

Bob
Old 12-01-2002, 01:25 AM
Tonys96
Drifting

Treated me very cordially.

I generally don't care for pushy car salesmen. Rogers was pretty laid back.

Bought my current car there and have no reason not to go back when I'm looking for another.

:cheers:
Old 12-01-2002, 11:04 AM
luvmy92
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Rogers Corvette Center (Tonys96)

You have to remember, this is a place that has over 100 Corvettes on the property, and about 90% of the people that go there are there just to look at all the Corvettes. For me personally, I prefer to not be bothered until I find what I'm looking for. There is nothing worse than being bombarded by salesmen before stepping foot onto the showroom floor. For those that are interested in buying, the intelligent buyer will certainly seek out a salesman.

As far as the sales people go, they are some of the most knowledgeable and nicest in the business. Roger, Dave Sr, Dave Jr and Dan use no salesman tactics, and can talk Corvettes all day if you let them. They put no pressure on you to buy, and answer any and all questions you may have about the cars.

The only downside is that the prices are set in stone. But most know that before going into the place. I can't tell you the number of people who have bought there and said it was the nicest buying experience they ever had.

I think it's not fair for people to badmouth the establishment, and they have never even been there. For those of you that have had an unhappy encounter, next time ask for Dan or Dave Jr, and I'm sure your opinion will change...

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Rogers Corvette Center

Old 12-01-2002, 11:39 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Default Re: Rogers Corvette Center (Jbaker)

"...wouldn't even let me take it out till I was approved financing!! Why would I want to run my credit, if I dont know what I want to BUY?? I thought that was backwards. "
That is wrong, plain WRONG What a grand assumption that one would even want to finance the car in the first place - with them or anyone...
I have said it before and will say it again, I have NEVER found a dealer that has been a "value added" service with the purchase of a car - Corvette or any!!!
Why is a dealer in business? ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)
Buying a used car from a pivate party generally takes more legwork however, you will wind up with a better bottom line in the end and if the owner has extras, often times they will be 'thrown in" rather than "forgotten about".
About the only benefit for going to a specialty dealer is the sheer number of cars they have to compare and for a "newbie" that may be a plus but as others have said, they will not go back to where they bought their's from first and will not spread that "word of mouth" that dealers cherrish so much :rolleyes:

***My post is based upon MY opinion and FACTS from my personal dealings and in no way should be taken out of context***
Old 12-01-2002, 11:44 AM
Bones LT1
Pro

When people come into our shop to buy a car and I think they like the car I let them take over the weekend. Never missed a sale with that one. That way they can have it checked out and after it sits in thier driveway its thiers.
They always buy it.
If they get on it, get it sideways, who cares its for sale. If they steal it who cares its insured. A local Chevy store no longer goes on test rides after the salesman was murdered and the car stolen.
I never go on test rides, half of the state caint drive. Scary.
Honesty is the only way to sell cars, I encourage all of our customers to spend as much time as possible with the car and have it checked out by a good shop of thier choice.
Word gets around. :flag
Old 12-01-2002, 11:45 AM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Rogers Corvette Center (*89x2*)

Funny thing I just remembered. About a month ago, I got an email, from Roger. He sent it to me by mistake, thought I was a lady from the bank. In the attachment of the email was several peoples credit apps. I emailed him back telling him it must have been sent in error(I was in his address book from MONTHS ago when I was looking around). He said thanks, and went on his way. Now, this type of info in the wrong hands could have been bad news for him, I had several people's personal info, and his email asking the person at the bank to "help him out", because a couple people were sketchy... I deleted it without opening the attachment in depth...

Jeff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rogers Corvette Center