Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Is there a fuel alert when it gets too low?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 07:31 AM
WarlockIII
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
You're welcome. Thanks for the comment. I always try to bring objectivity to the plate when ever I can.
Tom. I think your “experiment” proved exactly which of your concerns it set out to disprove. If someone is stupid enough to let their fuel pump run for 40 minutes with no fuel in the tank it’s probably not going to overheat. But then again he’s probably the same guy that thinks if the fuel gets too low it’s probably going to pick up whatever “crap” might be in the tank and ruin the pump for running it low. Is the “crap” that might be in the tank magically trained to stay away from the pump and maybe float around until it gets low and then formulate an attack on the pump? The pump is always in the bottom of the tank, and if there is “crap” in the tank...it’s probably always in the bottom and doesn’t wait till the tank is low.

Adversely. You could post a video and poke a hole in your tire to prove that air comes out of the whole tire and not just the bottom!

Just so we’re clear here...This is a Pro-Tommy post for those of you with poor reading and comprehension skills.

Last edited by WarlockIII; 07-16-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:50 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
So some say. Note that fuel is running THROUGH the pump regardless of level and that should cool it fine.

Does the pump even need "cooling"? IDK. I did this test a few years ago....

Well...now I can't find it. I posted a video years back where I ran a fuel pump completely dry, for something like 30 minutes? It didn't overheat OR die. Then I dropped it in gas and it pumped like a son of a bee. So....I used to be a total believer in low or no gas = hard on pumps....but now I'm pretty skeptical of the "overheating" claim.

EDIT: Found it!

https://youtu.be/A6Y7aBAxe5o
Tom, U R sooo right!

Your objective experiment reminds me of a room full of "experts" at the Columbia Space Shuttle disaster hearing regarding the seals on the (Morton Thoicol) shuttle boosters.
The sometimes heated arguments surrounding the specifications for the seals and whether or not they would have performed (remained elastic, i.e., functional) at the freezing temperatures went on back and forth in the conference room for over an hour.

Meanwhile, (and I forget his name now) one of the scientists was sitting quietly stirring his glass of ice water with a sample piece of the failed gasket seal material in it. And, after a few minutes he tested the seal material's ability to rebound at 32ºF (approx temp at the launch) by pressing his thumbnail into the gasket material.

Guess what? The dent his thumbnail left in the gasket material DID NOT rebound, contrary to "specifications" being argued and argued. And, when he got the attention of the room, he enlightened the group with his findings. The seals fail at freezing temps. End of meeting!!

I too like your fuel pump test! Yeah, I know, I know..., "One test does not a trend make!", but it sure as heck opens a window in the oft touted failure 'if ever the pump runs dry' argument!! So often a limited or very narrow test result gets repeated and expanded around and next thing you know, BS is created!

Good point, my friend!! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 07-16-2020 at 07:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Paul Workman:
IHBD (07-16-2020), Tom400CFI (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 08:47 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

So the moral of this story is if want keep waiting on a warning to tell you low on fuel at some point you will run out and be walking Its a gauge just like all the others in your car to warn you of impending disaster, just fill it up when its low.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:59 AM
WarlockIII
Racer

Originally Posted by FASTAZU
So the moral of this story is if want keep waiting on a warning to tell you low on fuel at some point you will run out and be walking Its a gauge just like all the others in your car to warn you of impending disaster, just fill it up when its low.
Not if you have a smart car and it runs out on top of a hill!
Old 07-16-2020, 05:51 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by WarlockIII
Not if you have a smart car and it runs out on top of a hill!
????
Old 07-16-2020, 06:22 PM
WarlockIII
Racer

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
????
I have nothing to say
Old 07-16-2020, 07:36 PM
jguard68
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
At two fuel bars you will get the "reserve" message. Keep driving and the "check gauges" light will come on -- it's red I think. Gotta be pretty low to see it though. I saw it one time when I first got my current coupe, just wanted to see how far it would go.
This
Old 07-16-2020, 09:34 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

When the last/lowest bar extinguishes, so there are NO bars, the "Check Gauges" light comes on.

Quick Reply: Is there a fuel alert when it gets too low?