Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Does C4 Parts Scarcity Make Owning a LONG TERM C4 a Pain??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 11:52 AM
mskc3
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Does C4 Parts Scarcity Make Owning a LONG TERM C4 a Pain??????

I have always liked C3's and C4's. I'm currently serious looking at purchasing a C3, or potentially a C4.

I have shied away from the C4's lately largely due to my concern with scarcity of parts especially electronic/computer/ parts etc. now and as time goes on.

Is this a valid concern???

Are there any parts that are hard/impossible to get because they have been discontinued that make owning a C4 in the long run difficult?

For example, I'm aware that the selective ride and handling package is discontinued. This isn't a big deal as regular Bilsteins can be used, and the "handling package" disconnected, but are there other discontinued options that are not so easy to remedy?

In other words, Is owning, repairing, and maintaining a C4 becoming harder to do as they age as far as parts availability?

What are some good sources for aftermarket parts for C4's that address some of these factory discontinued issues???

Thank you all for your opinions and expertise!!!

Old 04-28-2020, 12:17 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,404 Likes on 1,019 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

About the only thing that I'd be really worried about is the ABS relays, they are unobtainium if one fails. I had one die about 6 years ago and only one place had them and none were being made. They almost NEVER fail though.

I don't really worry about it otherwise, there are enough corvette specialty distributors and manufacturers that if there were a huge need in the restoration car market, it would be remedied. Same deal for Shark parts. If it were a Pinto, different story.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:23 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

80's cars have less integration, so simpler to work on. The more accessories more chances to get hung up. CCM can be difficult. 92-93 ECM continues to be difficult to find. ABS / EBTCM parts can be difficult as well.depending on year. At this time it doesn't seem there's any shortage of cars being parted out. Bad paint and interior and straight body will get a car with good electronics parted out.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:56 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,476 Likes on 2,815 Posts

No.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:39 PM
95LT1ZF
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by vader86
I don't really worry about it otherwise, there are enough corvette specialty distributors and manufacturers that if there were a huge need in the restoration car market, it would be remedied. Same deal for Shark parts. If it were a Pinto, different story.
I'll agree with the Dark Side on this one. It's also worth mentioning that there are still PLENTY of parts cars bouncing around FB and CL.
Old 04-28-2020, 04:49 PM
dolbnyc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Front spring is currently not available new anymore. Hopefully that changes.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:05 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,597 Likes on 1,074 Posts

In over 10 years of owning my 89 I have never needed a part that I have not been able to either buy or have rebuilt.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:35 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

No worries. Becoming a member to these (this in particular, IMO) FORUMs is one way to be allay most all of your concerns.

There are several Corvette dismantlers (e.g., Vette2Vette) as well as several cottage industries (e.g., ZFdoc.com) that provide certain hard to find parts, AND there's always a huge number of GM cars that also used many of the same parts, e.g., SBC, transmissions, differentials, etc., etc., etc!

If you want to choose a Vette you would think parts were scarce for, try owning a ZR-1! But, even then (again) there are people on this FORUM (and the ZR1 Net Registry, especially) AND dedicated vendors (e.g., Jerry's Gaskets) that can set one up with just about anything - allaying worry over even the ZR-1's parts!

So, simply going down to your local dealer is pretty much ruled out, yes. But, it is FORUMS like this that fills in for just about anything you may need!

I could mention that sourcing and fanigalling parts is part of the fun of restoring old cars - a topic for another time.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 04-29-2020 at 07:42 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Does C4 Parts Scarcity Make Owning a LONG TERM C4 a Pain??????

Quick Reply: Does C4 Parts Scarcity Make Owning a LONG TERM C4 a Pain??????