C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Loose gase cap symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 01:37 AM
J W Drew
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Loose gase cap symptoms?

The other day I started my 85 L98. It started fine. I drove to the mail box and left the engine idling. When getting back in the car and trying to accelerated the engine rpm would not respond. I was able to limp back to my home in idle. I shut the engine down and it would not restart. The check engine light was on. I checked the gas cap, as I had recently filled the tank, and found it was not completely tight. Tightened the cap. The next day I started the engine and it ran fine, although I did not drive it. I let it warm till both coolant and oil temps came up to normal tempts. Was able to give it throttle and the rpm's responded normally. It ran fine. My question is, could a loose gas cap cause this symptom?
Thanks,
JW
Old 10-08-2019, 09:38 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 1,960 Posts

I don't think it can. It has very little to do with anything except throwing a code on OBD2 cars which you do NOT have.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:54 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,404 Likes on 1,019 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

If the SES light was on, pull the code and tell us what that was.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:03 PM
J W Drew
Racer

Thanks vader and aklim. Because of my circumstance, it's going to require a tow to my mechanic. I can't trust the car to make it on it's own giving to the lack of reliability and my physical condition
JW.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:51 PM
J W Drew
Racer

6 months ago I went through a brushless car wash with my 85. After the wash I drove to the grocery store. Got back in the car and it started fine but a few minutes latter it started backfiring thru the intact. Limped the car back home. Next day I started the car and it ran fine and I had no further recurrence of the problem. Last week I got caught in a rather good rain storm. Short time latter the same problem occurred. Limped the car back home. Got in it the next day and once again it ran fine. Obviously, the problem is water getting to an electrical component and drying up by the next day. I don't think its the distributor as I have been through the same car wash since the first problem but have shut the engine down during the wash and have had no problems.
So, my thought is water is being sucked into the intake and contaminating an electrical connection. Any of your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
JW
Old 10-25-2019, 01:51 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by J W Drew
So, my thought is water is being sucked into the intake and contaminating an electrical connection. Any of your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
JW
I highly doubt it. The only electrical connection I can think of in your intake is your MAF sensor, and that should throw a code. It's more likely you have some ignition component getting wet. I'd check plug wires and cap first. Check them at night and look for arcing as you move plug wires around (or feel a shock). You could try using a spray bottle to lightly spray some water around the cap and wires then listen for a change in idle. Make sure all your plugs are tight and that the boots are firmly connected, and always use a little dielectric silicone inside the boot.

Get notified of new replies

To Loose gase cap symptoms?

Quick Reply: Loose gase cap symptoms?