Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rusting VIN Tag needs replacement... HOW?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 07:50 PM
d4d4u1
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rusting VIN Tag needs replacement... HOW?

So, how do you go about getting a replacement VIN tag for your Corvette? as you can see below mine is rusting away so I need to replace it.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:40 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Never seen that before except in a boneyard. How in the hell is that happening?
Old 06-02-2019, 09:04 PM
d4d4u1
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I do not know how or why. it is not a flood car, nor has it gotten wet, and it didn't come from a bone yard, nor a salvage title.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:31 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Several months ago I said 'never' and I'm still somewhat reluctant to say it can be done but this link was posted to that thread.

If you have a current title, the certification label is sill on the drivers door and the VIN derivative is on the frame rail under the battery tray you should never need to be concerned. Your car appears by VIN to be an '85. If the SPID label is still in the storage compartment it will also have a VIN.

https://www.alumaphoto-plateco.com/p.../vin-tags.html

If available from them it would be a tremendous undertaking. They maybe can mention where to get appropriate rivets. Many years ago VIN tags and correct rivets brought an interesting price at Carlisle etc. Not only for Corvettes. I haven't seen them or have I been interested in any for a very long time.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:02 PM
85WHITEZ51
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Wow, and I thought mine was bad. It's rusting as well but is still all there. Was actually thinking of having my windshield replaced (has pitting from age) and while it was off sanding it down and hitting it with some paint. I wonder why it's doing that as well. My car was wrecked when I got it but still has the factory windshield.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:10 AM
Blackcorvette_85
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My vin has rusted as well, not that bad though. My guess for the reason at least on mine is the bottom windshield seal. When I replaced all my weather stripping years back and when shutting the door, the seal is so good I can see the windshield flex. Im guessing it popped the lower seal and allowed a little water in down there. I could be wrong of course, but unless my windshield breaks, im just gonna leave it
Old 06-06-2019, 03:15 AM
ZHammer
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by d4d4u1
So, how do you go about getting a replacement VIN tag for your Corvette? as you can see below mine is rusting away so I need to replace it.

This is kind of stuff happens in colder climates. The cars interior heats up from the sun in the winter and causes condensation when it starts to cool down. Many older cars with steel vin plates in the windshield have done this. It’s the price we pay for having old cars and living in the northern states. I found by keeping it covered all through winter until the warm temps have actually arrived and will stay will stop this vicious cycle of condensation. I have had over 300 cars so I have had a lot of experience with this, not to mention I used to have my own body shop.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:28 AM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Wouldn't you have to pull the windshield to replace that?
Old 06-06-2019, 11:23 AM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 232 Posts

In some states removing/replacing the factory VIN is a felony, irregardless of your reason why. I would contact YOUR state motor vehicle office and explain to them your situation. The only possible recourse might be is to have a state assigned VIN which would more than likely affect the value down the road. Or, simply live with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Rusting VIN Tag needs replacement... HOW?

Quick Reply: Rusting VIN Tag needs replacement... HOW?