Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Ferrari driver told me once he uses his ferrari ‘for touring’ - what is that?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 07:18 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Sounds better than the knuckle dragger mumbling “Cruizin”.
lol..

But, you can still one up them by wrinkling your nose and asking where the chauffeur sits!
Old 09-11-2019, 07:07 AM
2turbocobra
Racer

Received 307 Likes on 133 Posts

To me

cruising is a short unnecessary trip like going to a car show, out to dinner, ice cream etc.

road trip is a long drive for a mostly necessary purpose.

touring is a road trip, less necessary, with less time constraints.

i like all 3

touring in a ferrari would be way more fun than an e class. Even though I loved my old e55
The following users liked this post:
Haggisbash (10-01-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 02:10 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Have 2 Es...or the other half does anyways. Reliable but boring as hell....like a reliable woman. lol

I dont care what the F car guy says he does long as he enjoys it. People say stuff to try and impress whatever.

Last edited by cv67; 09-12-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:24 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

I understand "Touring" to mean going on a longer trip, maybe going out of town for the weekend or spending a few days driving along the coast, or similar. A trip where you would have to pack a bag or two. Not just cruising around town for fun and not just transportation from A to B.
The following 2 users liked this post by DGXR:
dizwiz24 (09-28-2019), Haggisbash (10-01-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 05:01 PM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Default touring

On my 93, I leave the FX3 suspension selector on "sport" because every time I set it on "touring" I feel the need for an ascot and develop a slight Italian accent!!! No fun at all!!
Old 09-13-2019, 06:26 AM
Charsel
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Being a relatively new C4 owner, I was careful at first, getting use to how the car responds to cornering and acceleration, just happy to be driving it. 2 yrs later, I push it a bit more, and get comfortable each time. Yeah, I get invitations from rice rockets and Speed Racer wannabes. I just look over, and smile. Knowing I can blow their doors off if I want to. Not a Boy Racer anymore, and don't want to support Uber if the Green Hornet is down.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:58 PM
CharlieNC
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Im going touring

Soon I will get my first Corvette, a 96, from the shop following my purchase. I absolutely plan on a lot of touring, as I am retired. Heading to the Outer Banks while it's warm, Blue Ridge Parkway when the leaves turn. And I will get on it at the appropriate spots along the way. That's touring.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:37 PM
auburn2
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

I collect cars and currently have seven. I have never raced anyone, I don't really push them hard other than maybe passing on a country road and I don't do car shows. I do drive all of them and I modify most of them.

To answer your question, I don't really know what touring means
Old 09-28-2019, 03:18 PM
torquenstein
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

in my view, for the money...what you get..any trim is a deal... its a super deal..
Old 09-29-2019, 05:24 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

just my opinon. For me, crazing is just around town or nearby, enjoying the drive, Touring to me brings to mind an easy trip across the country or some long drive like that.
Old 09-29-2019, 09:59 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
My point is if you arent ever ‘racing it’ or ‘romping on it’, then why have it ?

why be cramped up when you could be in an e class or Cadillac?

ive never heard a corvette driver say they use their car for ‘touring’. Its an odd word-choice.

There is a c2 vert owner around me that gets on it every chance he can (with wheelspin) and it looks/sounds amazing.
I understand your post, Diz. I was shocked at the response to a poll on the ZR-1 board asking how many owners of ZR-1s had hit the (7100 rpm) rev limiter. 60% NEVER HAD HIT THE LIMIETER. Furthermore, most of that group admitted they seldom hit 6000 rpm. My thoughts exactly...Why buy a ZR-1 if your not going to wring it out...at least once in a while!??

So, diz, I'm resigned to the theory of WAXERS vs. WARRIORS: There are two main attractions for (Vette) buyers. They're NOT exclusive (like Dems and GOPs in the US Congress are these days); some crossover does happen. But, there are those who relish the potential and reputation the car has, and the prestige (in some cases) of having it brings. "On, you own a Corvette???

Case in point: Why does a C4 Grand Sport cost roughly TWICE as much as a ZR-1? Amazing how a paint color scheme, stick-on fender flairs and a pair of red fender strips affects the price of a car where most never see a track. And, for several years now, the ZR-1/Grand sport communities have gathered the weekend before the Bowling Green C4 event to ride the twisties in the Blue Ridge mountains. The group is typically divided in to 3 groups: Touring, Spirited, and VERY Spirited. Every year, the Touring group contains nearly ALL of the Grand Sport drivers. Some people get their jollies just touring. Knowing the car is capable of much more is only just "nice to know", but never put to the test. Tourers... THEY'RE OUT THERE!:

Last edited by Paul Workman; 09-29-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:54 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
OK , the second point of my post is why is it ‘touring?’

why not just ‘driving around ?’

do i need an italian megabuck car to be able to ‘tour’?

or am i just driving around when im in my c4 (and not getting on it)
It's semantics. Like "dine" or "eat out", or "destination" or "Journey's end". It shouldn't be a "big deal" (or "Ado").

Last edited by 1SG_Ret; 09-29-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:20 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,963 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
So, diz, I'm resigned to the theory of WAXERS vs. WARRIORS: There are two main attractions for (Vette) buyers. They're NOT exclusive (like Dems and GOPs in the US Congress are these days); some crossover does happen. But, there are those who relish the potential and reputation the car has, and the prestige (in some cases) of having it brings. "On, you own a Corvette???:
I agree with your definition of waxers vs warriors. Not sure I agree with your Dem and Rep part. From what I see, we mostly have the Replublicrat and Demopublican so pretty much like me asking you "How would you like your death sentence to be carried out? Hanging, Electric Chair, Lethal Injection or Firing Squad?". People will be people regardless of which flag they fly.

Not sure where I would fit in your definition though. I like the potential the car has and do push it a bit but not enough to get me killed or in deep **** but most of the time, would be relatively law abiding. I absolutely hate people asking me about my car and prefer they don't.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:33 PM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

So its called cruising when one is poor and touring when one has money...Got it - What's median annual household income needed to call it TOURING?
Old 09-30-2019, 04:34 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ElisTwoCents
So its called cruising when one is poor and touring when one has money...Got it - What's median annual household income needed to call it TOURING?
Good point, observation and question....ask this guy, he might know...https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...238-phawk.html

he has s C7 and lives in a resort town....
Old 09-30-2019, 06:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ElisTwoCents
Not sure how you could pin a number on something like that anymore than you can say "Corvette Owners have tiny dicks and are compensating with the car.". Some people have suggested that you might want to "dress up" for an interview? If you want an executive job, perhaps said person can't waltz into the interview wearing what he usually wears at home like say high heels, garter belts and a thong panty with a leather spiked collar, etc? Maybe that person needs to wear a suit and a tie to give the impression of something he is not?
Old 09-30-2019, 06:19 PM
dleibman
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 235 Posts

To me Touring is taking long trips, enjoying the roads and the car. Cruising on the other hand is just riding around really just doing nothing. We all have our own terms. Racing, is racing.

Get notified of new replies

To Ferrari driver told me once he uses his ferrari ‘for touring’ - what is that?

Old 09-30-2019, 07:02 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dleibman
To me Touring is taking long trips, enjoying the roads and the car. Cruising on the other hand is just riding around really just doing nothing. We all have our own terms. Racing, is racing.
Some towns have a "No cruising" policy.

The third passage of the same traffic control point in the same direction of travel within the aforementioned two-hour period constitutes a violation of this chapter.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:43 PM
raymnz
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

People with European or British cars go 'touring', those with American cars go 'cruising'. When all's said and done, they're going for a drive. At least that's what we say DownUnder
Old 10-03-2019, 05:34 PM
Aquasition
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A GT car is a Grand Tour car
meant to be taken on a road trip with confort
Cruising is a short relaxed trip not too far from the stable

One can go "cruising" on any car or motorcycle
but you cannot go Touring on any car, it has to offer enough confort and luggage space and range to go for a relatively long trip
At least thats the theory....cheers

Quick Reply: Ferrari driver told me once he uses his ferrari ‘for touring’ - what is that?