C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Shift Cable

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 09:41 AM
RtStuf
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Shift Cable

Are there any warning signs automatic shift cable is about to break? Should cable be replaced at certain mileage to prevent being stranded by break?
Old 04-23-2019, 10:24 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Mostly observable damage to the cable or the housing, or it stops moving smoothly.

A shift cable loose at both ends should slide just about effortlessly and it should not bind along its travel.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (02-09-2020)
Old 04-24-2019, 09:01 AM
RtStuf
Burning Brakes

Thanks confab. Assume you are recommending viewing cable to know if worn enough to break. If understand correctly, it is the ends that break so would have to view both ends for wear - correct?
Old 04-24-2019, 09:35 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Gear selector will require increased effort to move forward or backward. Transmission shift cable - transmission shifts may become inconsistent.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:35 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RtStuf
Thanks confab. Assume you are recommending viewing cable to know if worn enough to break. If understand correctly, it is the ends that break so would have to view both ends for wear - correct?
Disclaimer: This is an AG area and I work on trucks and suv's.. Not vettes.

But, in my experience, the cables fray and come apart first, and start sticking in the housing. Eventually they will push the ends off or crack the housing and push it apart, instead of moving the transmission shift lever. This is kind of rare. But you don't generally have a lot of trouble from the shift cable itself.

If I was worried about it, I would disconnect the bottom and move the shifter. It should move effortlessly with no binding.

I would look at the housing for cracks. If I was really freaking about it, I would inspect the housing on the top side too, disconnect from the shifter and move it by hand. Again, zero effort. If it binds or has a damaged housing, it is probably on the way out.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:14 AM
RtStuf
Burning Brakes

Thanks again. Understand the OEM cable has plastic ends - is there a replacement cable that is stronger - like with metal ends?
Old 04-24-2019, 12:17 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Not sure? I haven't looked..

I remove and reinstall those cables on trucks with over 300K though.

Moving the rooster comb in the transmission doesn't require a tremendous amount of effort. If it does, the problem is there and not the cable.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:54 AM
RtStuf
Burning Brakes

Thanks Kevova & confab - appreciate sharing your knowledge.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:35 AM
FLACHUSNRET
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

My cable (or the plastic end of it) just broke Saturday on my 05 with only 31k miles on it. I had no warning that there was a problem. I stopped by a store to pick up a cake and when I went to leave, I cranked the car and shifted into drive and the car started backing up. Apparently, it broke as it came out of park and was passing the reverse position. I could not shift to any gear, so I shut the engine off. I called my insurance company and they sent a flatbed which hauled me and my car to my home about 4 miles down the road. The flatbed operator was an expert at his job. He backed the truck up to my center garage stall and put the Corvette right into its stall. We only had to hand push it about a foot or two to close the garage door. I was amazed at how simple he made the whole process look. I have no idea how much my insurance paid for the tow, but I gladly tipped him $20 just for being so courteous and professional.

I called three stealerships today to check pricing and two referred me to other independent mechanics, because they won't work on older cars. The third one quoted me $90.38 for the cable and $524 to install it. I could do it myself and I will if I can't find someone to do it a whole lot cheaper than that. I have all the necessary tools and my mind tells me that I can do it, but my 73 year old body with a feeding tube and only one lung tells me I can't!
Old 02-25-2020, 08:59 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,508 Likes on 3,592 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by FLACHUSNRET
My cable (or the plastic end of it) just broke Saturday on my 05 with only 31k miles on it. I had no warning that there was a problem. I stopped by a store to pick up a cake and when I went to leave, I cranked the car and shifted into drive and the car started backing up. Apparently, it broke as it came out of park and was passing the reverse position. I could not shift to any gear, so I shut the engine off. I called my insurance company and they sent a flatbed which hauled me and my car to my home about 4 miles down the road. The flatbed operator was an expert at his job. He backed the truck up to my center garage stall and put the Corvette right into its stall. We only had to hand push it about a foot or two to close the garage door. I was amazed at how simple he made the whole process look. I have no idea how much my insurance paid for the tow, but I gladly tipped him $20 just for being so courteous and professional.

I called three stealerships today to check pricing and two referred me to other independent mechanics, because they won't work on older cars. The third one quoted me $90.38 for the cable and $524 to install it. I could do it myself and I will if I can't find someone to do it a whole lot cheaper than that. I have all the necessary tools and my mind tells me that I can do it, but my 73 year old body with a feeding tube and only one lung tells me I can't!

You are posting in the C4 sections, and since we own the same year, my 05 cable broke in Oct 2019 with 73,000 miles and the dealership charged me $700.00 to replace it. Your dealership not far off on the price.

My C4 I had for 23 years sold it, and never had broken cable?
Old 08-14-2020, 02:41 PM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 116 Posts

My 1999 A/T Shifter Cable broke at 27,110 miles last week. My local GM dealer has not been able to locate one yet 😞

Any suggestions where to get one? GM Part #12561688

Many places advertise they have them, but they are out of stock. I think I found one at Vette Nuts

Your Help is Appreciated 👍🙏
Old 08-17-2020, 05:36 AM
tmirisola
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 116 Posts

Does anybody know where I can purchase a shifter cable for a 1999 C5 A/T????

I'm having no luck getting one

Get notified of new replies

To Shift Cable

Quick Reply: Shift Cable