C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Is this C4 worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 04:02 AM
Braghu
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this C4 worth it?

Hey guys. I’m looking to buy this beautiful 93 c4.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight

I’m wondering if this thing is available to be daily driven with the mods list. And some clarification on some of the mods (like the EGR delete.)

- Original 5.7L LT1 (modified by previous owner)
- Lloyd Stage 2 Head Porting
- Ported LT1 Intake
- TPIS 58MM TB
- Comp Cams Custom Grind Cam
- Exotic Muscle 1 3/4 Ceramic Coated Headers
- Bosch 3 32lb Injectors from FIC
- Comp Cams Ultra Magnum 1.6 RR
- Trick Flow Pushrods
- Taylor 8MM wires
- Billet keyed crank hub
- All Fel-pro gaskets
- All Fel-pro gaskets
- ARP Hardware
- Bosch 4 plugs
- Air/EGR Delete
- New Delco water pump
- New Delco Opti
- Racetronix Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
- Random Tech Bullet Cats
- Custom X-Pipe

- Original Black-tag ZF 6 speed Manual w/ Hurst short shifter
- Original Wheels
- VBP Front and Rear Sway Bars with Poly Bushings

Last edited by Braghu; 03-01-2019 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:22 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

IMO it comes down to a couple of basic questions (discounting the price question).
First off, how confident are you of the modifications made to the engine and by whom? I don't know this builder and the quality of their work. Could be good and could be crap. In addition, how comfortable are you of taking a trip (assuming you plan to) in the car and have any mechanical issues? If you're at a distance from home and something breaks down, how easy or hard would it be to have fixed without having it shipped home?
On the question of daily driving a 25+ year old car, a car of this age will have things wear out, age out or generally go bad due to time or mileage. How dependent will you be on this vehicle performing properly? I have multiple vehicles including an 86 Vette and a 94 T-Bird. Though I trust both of them I wouldn't consider either one a daily driver. I've had breakdowns with both of them and if I had been dependent on them to get to work it could have caused issues. I think it's safe to say that most do not depend on a Vette to be a daily driver based on what I've seen others comment on.

Value is totally dependent on what one person is willing to sell for and another is willing to pay. The same car in different parts of the country will bring different prices just based on location alone. Based on pictures shown, the car looks good. Whether it's worth $11K, only you can say for sure. Remember that there's always another one out there if this one isn't the one. May not be today and may not be in your back yard, but they are out there if you want to look for them.

Good luck.

Last edited by hcbph; 03-01-2019 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:49 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

No way I would pay 11k for that car. I'm in the northeast, same car, totally stock with that mileage would be $8-9k max in great condition. The fact that it's been modded does not increase the value IMO. Also, go see the car, drive it and have a mechanic check it out before you even think about an offer. If the owner doesn't like that, run, don't walk away.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:17 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

The good points that are listed:

1. just passed DEQ - ask to see paperwork, a copy needs to go with car

2.Tom Wong - a very well known and from what I can tell, respected person, competes in the AUSCC competition

3. there are at least $3000.00 worth of parts/services (head porting) on that car

4. Clean Carfax and Clean title in my name

BUT, you need to take it for an inspection as said. There are a few main reasons why people sell their toys.

A. there is something WRONG with the car. they know it and want to get rid of it before the big expense happens

B. they want something new, in order to help finance or make room for the new toy, the old has to go

C. their interests have changed, they have just gotten tired of it

D. they need the money. something in their life has necessitated selling it

Of course, you need to make sure it is not A, so I agree that it needs to be inspected, but around here, if all is good and the car gets the blessing of a good mechanic that understands Corvettes, that would be a decent deal considering the what I see across the country as far as condition.

NOTICE that the ad says "Asking $11000" not FIRM $11,000.

Last edited by drcook; 03-01-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:06 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

EGR Delete means he is running a custom PROM with the EGR Check function turned off.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:08 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

As or daily driving, it may well depend on what your daily drive is.
If you leave the house hop on the highway and work a couple blocks from the exit is one thing. If your going through 30 minutes of stoplight traffic well that's another.

IMO the 58mm TB, 32 LB injectors and custom cam might make for great performance, but when paired with a 6 speed might make traffic annoying.

"The cam has a nice lump to it, but it is still very street-able" that is a very subjective statement by the seller. One that can only be answered with a complete test drive.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:55 PM
Braghu
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by drcook
The good points that are listed:

1. just passed DEQ - ask to see paperwork, a copy needs to go with car

2.Tom Wong - a very well known and from what I can tell, respected person, competes in the AUSCC competition

3. there are at least $3000.00 worth of parts/services (head porting) on that car

4. Clean Carfax and Clean title in my name

BUT, you need to take it for an inspection as said. There are a few main reasons why people sell their toys.

A. there is something WRONG with the car. they know it and want to get rid of it before the big expense happens

B. they want something new, in order to help finance or make room for the new toy, the old has to go

C. their interests have changed, they have just gotten tired of it

D. they need the money. something in their life has necessitated selling it

Of course, you need to make sure it is not A, so I agree that it needs to be inspected, but around here, if all is good and the car gets the blessing of a good mechanic that understands Corvettes, that would be a decent deal considering the what I see across the country as far as condition.

NOTICE that the ad says "Asking $11000" not FIRM $11,000.

very very helpful. I wasn’t going to buy it sight unseen, I definitely will make the drive down south a bit to test before buying. I have a beater commuter car currently and it works fine, I’ve been obsessed with the C4 for as long as I can remember. My commute is almost all highway too so that makes it easier.

and I would also definitely negotiate the price down to something more reasonable. I like this specific example because it’s got relatively low miles compared to everything else I’ve been able to find in the PNW.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:57 PM
Braghu
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by belairbrian
As or daily driving, it may well depend on what your daily drive is.
If you leave the house hop on the highway and work a couple blocks from the exit is one thing. If your going through 30 minutes of stoplight traffic well that's another.

IMO the 58mm TB, 32 LB injectors and custom cam might make for great performance, but when paired with a 6 speed might make traffic annoying.

"The cam has a nice lump to it, but it is still very street-able" that is a very subjective statement by the seller. One that can only be answered with a complete test drive.
my commute is about 13 miles each way and 95% highway so I’d think that would make it much easier. I will probably go down there to test drive it this weekend or next weekend.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:22 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would also be looking at some of the other systems. Does the A/C and heater work properly? Base system or the C68 Cliate Control system? How are the brakes in terms of wear? And what brakes are on the car; stock base brakes or the optional J55 brakes? What condition are the tires in? What are the date codes? Driving the car will help to give you an idea of the condition of the clutch and the rest of the drive train like hubs, u-joints, suspension and steering.

Tom Wong is a very reputable tuner and builder in the Pacific Northwest. Although it looks like he only did the tune, you may want to ask him what he thought of the components used in the engine build. Certainly take the car for a drive and maybe get a shop to do a Used Vehicle Inspection. For around $150 or so, you would get a written report of the overall condition of the car, a list of work that needs to be done quickly and another list of what can wait. Lists like that can be helpful in getting an agreed upon price.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:57 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I would never buy someone elses hot rod unless the price was right which means at or below the value of a stock car. You may be getting a good deal or you may be inheriting someone elses bad dream. If the car has problems, you wouldn't know where to start. Tom Wong is a respected tuner but apparently didn't do the work on the car.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:37 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Braghu
Hey guys. I’m looking to buy this beautiful 93 c4.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight

I’m wondering if this thing is available to be daily driven with the mods list. And some clarification on some of the mods (like the EGR delete.)

- Original 5.7L LT1 (modified by previous owner)
- Lloyd Stage 2 Head Porting
- Ported LT1 Intake
- TPIS 58MM TB
- Comp Cams Custom Grind Cam
- Exotic Muscle 1 3/4 Ceramic Coated Headers
- Bosch 3 32lb Injectors from FIC
- Comp Cams Ultra Magnum 1.6 RR
- Trick Flow Pushrods
- Taylor 8MM wires
- Billet keyed crank hub
- All Fel-pro gaskets
- All Fel-pro gaskets
- ARP Hardware
- Bosch 4 plugs
- Air/EGR Delete
- New Delco water pump
- New Delco Opti
- Racetronix Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
- Random Tech Bullet Cats
- Custom X-Pipe

- Original Black-tag ZF 6 speed Manual w/ Hurst short shifter
- Original Wheels
- VBP Front and Rear Sway Bars with Poly Bushings
All the money spent on worthless mods and a worn out interior with cloth (cough) seats?
Wouldn't walk across the street to look at that car
Old 03-01-2019, 03:45 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

If it’s all been done correctly, that list of mods easily puts it way ahead of a stock 93 if you’re into modified cars. I personally don’t think that's a bad price to negotiate from if the car checks out. I agree that if things weren’t done right the car could be messed up but that’s no different than any car of that age in that there is always the element of the unknown. I would treat it like any used car and get a good PPI done. If mods have been shoddily done and the car has issues then that will be evident on an inspection and test drive just like inspecting a stock car to make sure everything is on the up and up.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:04 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
All the money spent on worthless mods and a worn out interior with cloth (cough) seats?
Wouldn't walk across the street to look at that car
If performance mods aren’t your thing that’s fine, but what’s worthless to you may have a lot of value to others. Again it all depends on IF the car has been built correctly, but if it has then that list of work will produce a whole lot more power than a stock LT1, and letting someone else take the hit on the original cost of it all could be well worth it. If someone wants leather seats you can put new seats in it for a tiny fraction of the cost of what all the performance work would cost to replicate.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:14 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,957 Posts

IDK about emissions in YOUR part so you need to see how it all plays out. The system might pass emissions or it might not. Definitely go local and ask the shop since they know best. Headers, fluffed intake and heads, cam and dyno tune are the main things. BTW, Random Tech is out of business from what I can see.

Best get a PDI or the Corvette Fever will take over and there might be regrets.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:28 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

This is a forum members car and Id look at it if I were looking.... Nice car... and being a forum member a certain level of trust and integrity comes with the process..... at least thats the experiences I have found here....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...upe-383-a.html
Old 03-02-2019, 01:56 PM
drcook
Safety Car

The ad says it just passed the DEQ which is Oregon's emissions check

https://www.oregon.gov/deq/vehicle-i...s/default.aspx

So it is running clean enough to pass a sniff test which is a hurdle for modified cars. So at least it was done correctly as far as that goes.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:35 PM
drcook
Safety Car

BTW, T J Wong is a board member

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...50-tjwong.html

Get notified of new replies

To Is this C4 worth it?

Old 03-02-2019, 03:37 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
The ad says it just passed the DEQ which is Oregon's emissions check

https://www.oregon.gov/deq/vehicle-i...s/default.aspx

So it is running clean enough to pass a sniff test which is a hurdle for modified cars. So at least it was done correctly as far as that goes.

Would anyone do a visual for the EGR where he lives?
Old 03-02-2019, 04:46 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by JBPC4
If performance mods aren’t your thing that’s fine, but what’s worthless to you may have a lot of value to others. Again it all depends on IF the car has been built correctly, but if it has then that list of work will produce a whole lot more power than a stock LT1, and letting someone else take the hit on the original cost of it all could be well worth it. If someone wants leather seats you can put new seats in it for a tiny fraction of the cost of what all the performance work would cost to replicate.

I'm doing a similar build on my '96 and I will easily spend that amount on parts and labor
Old 03-02-2019, 05:11 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've know Tom Wong for more than 10 years as he did the work and tune on my 95. I have several acquaintances who have had him do mods and tuning work on their corvettes of all generations. He is one of the most reputable Corvette tuners on the west coast.

As pointed out above, TW apparently did not do the mechanical installation on this particular vehicle but .... he did do the tune. As such I would think that his shop would be a great place to take that car for a pre-buy inspection.

If you really want this particular C4 I think it would be money well spent to call Wong Performance Engineering and see if you can arrange a pre-buy inspection of this car. Because of his long term reputation he is often very busy so if you can't get hold of him on the first try don't give up.

Quick Reply: Is this C4 worth it?