Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 05:31 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
All the money spent on worthless mods and a worn out interior with cloth (cough) seats?
Wouldn't walk across the street to look at that car
Respectfully, I don't think that the above mods are worthless certainly not on an LT1. While I didn't have any intake or head porting done on my 95, the addition of
Hot Cam Kit, Timing Chain & sprocket Kit, new lifters, long tube headers and a Tom Wong tune added 40 RWHP to my car (measured before and after on the same mustang dyno). This was all done back when the car had 70K on it and that was 65K ago .... and I still drive the car all the time.

Now I will agree that those mods may not get me a single extra dollar if I was to ever sell the car but that's not why I had the mods done. The money I spent on these mods were sure as heck worth it to me.

Last edited by Mr. Peabody; 03-02-2019 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Typo, I'm getting old it was 40 rwhp improvement not 50.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:00 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by hcbph
IMO it comes down to a couple of basic questions (discounting the price question).
First off, how confident are you of the modifications made to the engine and by whom? I don't know this builder and the quality of their work. Could be good and could be crap. In addition, how comfortable are you of taking a trip (assuming you plan to) in the car and have any mechanical issues? If you're at a distance from home and something breaks down, how easy or hard would it be to have fixed without having it shipped home?
On the question of daily driving a 25+ year old car, a car of this age will have things wear out, age out or generally go bad due to time or mileage. How dependent will you be on this vehicle performing properly? I have multiple vehicles including an 86 Vette and a 94 T-Bird. Though I trust both of them I wouldn't consider either one a daily driver. I've had breakdowns with both of them and if I had been dependent on them to get to work it could have caused issues. I think it's safe to say that most do not depend on a Vette to be a daily driver based on what I've seen others comment on.

Value is totally dependent on what one person is willing to sell for and another is willing to pay. The same car in different parts of the country will bring different prices just based on location alone. Based on pictures shown, the car looks good. Whether it's worth $11K, only you can say for sure. Remember that there's always another one out there if this one isn't the one. May not be today and may not be in your back yard, but they are out there if you want to look for them.

Good luck.
well said
11k will also buy a very nice c5

Car may be just fine take someone with you to look it over carefully ( I didnt read the ad)

Last edited by cv67; 03-03-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:04 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
well said

Car may be just fine take someone with you to look it over carefully ( I didnt read the ad)
Why not ask around the sale area and get a mechanic with some knowledge and equipment and a lift?
Old 03-03-2019, 01:36 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
well said

that is very area and timing dependent. looking around the ne ohio area, with a radius of 200 miles, $11,000 will buy you a C5 with 170,000 or more miles on it. Every car that I have seen that has 170K and not been continually maintained to replace wear items, is going to need a boatload of money just to make it dependable, especially if you can't do the work yourself. (autotrader cars)

there are 2 within 200 miles on autotrader.

i also looked at craigslist, on the ones that show up have been driven hard, have "rebuilt" titles (can be problematic at times), are high mileage or need a lot of work. (I always look to back up what I am saying with facts)

The $20,000 range gets to really nice C5's around here. Otherwise, if you get a manual and it needs a clutch, figure $2000.00'ish unless you have a lift and can tear out the entire transaxle and torque tube all the way to the engine yourself, or the ABS goes or the EBCM goes and needs rebuilt, unless it is one of the codes that can't be fixed then you are at the mercy of resellers etc that know what the units are worth to keep the cars on the road.

This is the real reason I went with a C4. I could still work on it. There are lots of parts available. You aren't going to be held up by a parts reseller if you have one of the catastrophic parts failures. Etc.

Old 03-03-2019, 02:01 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

I personally would not purchase a vehicle that has been modified to that extent. And I would never purchase a vehicle with poly bushings.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:09 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
This is the real reason I went with a C4. I could still work on it. There are lots of parts available. You aren't going to be held up by a parts reseller if you have one of the catastrophic parts failures. Etc.
I have had more than one occasion (e brake parts and ABS sensors come to mind) where you are at the mercy of the junkyard. The 700R4 and the engine, you are right. My Power Steering hoses I had to get from 2 vendors. I got a couple from one guy and he wasn't sure if and when the other piece or pieces would come. I ended up with a couple months wait. Worst part is not knowing if and when it comes and getting the shop it was sitting at getting annoyed at the yard ornament. I had to have it taken apart so we could make sure about which hose it was since nobody could run it off the vin number. "Sorry, friend. They make a run and as and when they choose."
Old 03-03-2019, 11:42 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

I've got a very nice good condition 1992 for sale. Stock for the most part. Has a few tasteful mods. Cheaper too. Message me if interested

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4s-for-sale-wanted/4247398-1992-corvette-lt1-w-34-500-miles.html

Last edited by CVG323; 03-04-2019 at 12:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Is this C4 worth it?