C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Where in the world........?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 12:26 PM
Topload
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where in the world........?

I'm about to embark on the Opti replacement task and wanted to remove the cap so that I can make the mods for the vaccuum lines, but I'm stumped. Those little screws that hold the cap to the base assembly are some kind of foreign looking inside torque screw and I'm at my wits end trying to find the right socket (?) to remove them. I've been to the local Sears, AutoZone, Napa etc. but can't locate anything that even looks remotely similar. I've even asked at the Chevy dealership down the street and they indicated that they don't "do tools" and couldn't offer any solution. Any one out there with the "secret" tool, device or magic tip would be appreciated. :confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 10-26-2002, 02:40 PM
Topless94
Racer

Default Re: Where in the world........? (Topload)

I believe GM sells the tool if no one else can help let me know I know someone that has 2 he bought one new then found one at the flea market.
Old 10-26-2002, 04:10 PM
4_inch_Bore
Instructor

"some kind of foreign looking inside torque screw"

Are they simlar to a Phillips but have six points? If so, they are probably Torx. Available at any auto parts store.
Old 10-26-2002, 09:45 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[ I've even asked at the Chevy dealership down the street and they indicated that they don't "do tools" and couldn't offer any solution. [/QUOTE]

And then they wonder why dealers have such bad reputations with car enthusiasts. That dealership should have taken you to a parts book and helped you determine what you needed...they had a chance to help a customer and they blew it. This is a prime example of what's wrong with so many businesses these days. :(
Old 10-26-2002, 10:14 PM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

torx, :yesnod: post a pic just to make sure :cheers:
Old 10-26-2002, 10:35 PM
Topload
Racer

Thanks a bundle guys - made a run to a couple of auto parts shops and found "the last one we have" in stock. Turns out it's a T4 inside torque socket ($2.69) but the one I purchased was to fat to fit down into the wells of the opti cap......had to do a little modification on the grinder to make it small enough to fit. Never seems that there's an easy way to work on these cars - guess that's what keeps it fun - always a challenge.

Appreciate all your replies - now to get on with the mod!! I'll keep you posted on this piece of work as it unfolds. I'm planning on doing the radiator clean & flush, replace the Opti and the water pump, pull & clean the throttle body and replace the gaskets. Most likely I'll have the car off the road for a couple of days.........wish me luck.

:seeya
Old 10-27-2002, 02:48 AM
GDP
Team Owner

Good luck! :cheers:
Old 10-27-2002, 08:45 AM
93TorchRedC4
Pro

Default Re: Where in the world........? (brdd)

And then they wonder why dealers have such bad reputations with car enthusiasts. That dealership should have taken you to a parts book and helped you determine what you needed...they had a chance to help a customer and they blew it. This is a prime example of what's wrong with so many businesses these days. :(
AMEN to that!

Get notified of new replies

To Where in the world........?

Quick Reply: Where in the world........?