Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 06:52 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default C4 Used Parts Prices...Hmmm?

Hi everyone,
I didnt think this actually belonged in parts for sale since its more of a discussion about used C4 parts etc.

Is it me or does it seem like when there are Used parts for sale such as MiniRams,Super Rams and etc,people seem to be asking nearly new parts prices,minus a hundred or two?

Every now and then theres great deals and prices on this forum and possibly other places as well.Never seen any real price jacking on used parts by most people.Even by the good salvage yards.I admit I sold something close to new cost since it was used a very brief time plus came with new sensors and stuff added by me and the buyer agreed to the sale.

So im guessing thats part of the story with most of the used systems for sale but Im also wondering if its because of the demand is high or because the companies are raising prices and discontinuing the stuff as new?

If so,do you think we're going to see increases in used performance parts prices over time?Will they even get more expensive if theyre discontinued?

Getting back to it,Ive been looking for a Miniram/Super rams for sale over time but usually the price is too high where Im feeling better off buying it new.Just wondering what your thoughts are about the whole thing and would you say its worth saving 200 bucks buying used with unknown problems as to buying a system brand new?
Not trying to insult anyone anything about their prices,whatever they feel is a good deal is fair game and up to the buyer as well.
Just bored and wondering what your thoughts are about it.
:)

Old 10-25-2002, 07:22 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Default Re: C4 Used Parts Prices...Hmmm? (Bill's86Coupe)

Parts like the S/R don't really have moving components to wear out do they?

Some parts like headers and wheels suffer from outside factors like high exhaust tempuratures and curbs. They should drop in price more than things like the S/R.

Makes sense then that both of those types of items would hold their value more than items like shocks and waterpumps or other parts that suffer wear as part of their function.

:confused:
Old 10-25-2002, 07:30 PM
blk90rdstr
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: C4 Used Parts Prices...Hmmm? (Blue 92)

Supply and demand. Look how many posts they get on a used performance part.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:57 PM
Rockthumper
Intermediate

Default Re: C4 Used Parts Prices...Hmmm? (blk90rdstr)

I was wondering about this too. It seems that the parts companies are inflating the prices. Most of these parts haven't been changed in 10 years, ie. no r & d left to do. So why not produce more...cams, whatever, and get the price down. Answer: People get suspicious if they haven't paid enough for something and everyone would be running around with 1000hp engines. Like the man said, Supply and demand.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:04 PM
dtorc4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: C4 Used Parts Prices...Hmmm? (Rockthumper)

I Answer: People get suspicious if they haven't paid enough for something and everyone would be running around with 1000hp engines.
I agree with you there. It seems as if people think (maybe just subconciously) that if they pay more for an item, it will perform better than a like item at a lower price. Case in point: Holley Stealth Ram vs. SR/MR.

Even when I first saw it and the price I thought, "this can't be any good. Look how cheap it is".
Old 10-26-2002, 08:45 PM
Chief Muktar
Racer

Default Re: C4 Used Parts Prices...Hmmm? (Rockthumper)

4. Answer: People get suspicious if they haven't paid enough for something and everyone would be running around with 1000hp engines.
:lol: :lol: totally true, totally true..... :lol: :lol:
Old 10-29-2002, 12:30 PM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Supply and demand.....if money is to be made....someone will do it.... :smash: :smash:
Old 10-29-2002, 01:23 PM
Aggravated4life
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: C4 Used Parts Prices...Hmmm? (oldace84)

Thanks for the replies everyone...I know all about supply and demand logic but was sort of coming across the topic from a different angle.I do think the prices for used stuff,like the good SR and MR's will only increase production is discontinued.
As you mentioned,non moving parts tend to hold good value,which is what I was aiming at.

But my quirk with supply and demand is more likely that someone will Name a price and just wait until someone is going to pay that much for it.

This goes on with new products as well as we all know.Its not that its necessarily actual SUpply/Demand,but the seller's right to make a profit is justified more so by setting prices everyone else is setting or higher and just wait for the few potential buyers to cough up the dough.

An example was a new sway bar from GM was 150 bucks.A salvage yard wanted 150 bucks for the same but used bar that came out of a wreck but didnt appear bent.Usually,a salvage yard will sell them for 50% of new cost.I offered 75 bucks and they refused to sell for that price.I told them what are they waiting for,and they said someone else will eventually buy it for their price.
Made me realize some of these parts are going to be worth their weight in cash someday.
Anybody want to open another salvage business together?
:D

Old 11-05-2002, 08:00 PM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Don't buy used parts.....you never know.....you can if maybe you are buying from a local friend....But otherwise...BEWARE.....
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Used Parts Prices...Hmmm?

Quick Reply: C4 Used Parts Prices...Hmmm?