C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

85 Door lock question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 11:27 PM
joe wilson
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 85 Door lock question

Tried to lock/unlock my driver's side door a few days ago and all of a sudden it won't lock or unlock with the key. The passenger side works just fine and the driver's side will lock from the inside with the slide lock but it just won't work the lock with the key. I messed with it long enough to set the alarm off so I'm kinda wondering if there's a way to fix that lock and also disable the burglar alarm, it always goes off at the most inconvenient times..
Old 07-09-2018, 05:15 AM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 232 Posts

Are you getting any "resistance" when you turn the key? If not more than likely the rod fell off the lock cylinder. If you look down inside you can probably see it just hanging there.
​​​​​​​
Old 07-09-2018, 07:41 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ls777z
Are you getting any "resistance" when you turn the key? If not more than likely the rod fell off the lock cylinder. If you look down inside you can probably see it just hanging there.
there are several threads on bypassing the TDS system.....I'm not sure but I think they sell a "kit".........easy to install a simple "kill" switch....
Old 07-09-2018, 09:43 PM
joe wilson
Instructor

Originally Posted by ls777z
​​​​​​​
No, no resistance on driver's side, really easy to turn. I had assumed I'd probably have to tear the door panel off (again) and hook up something.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:46 PM
joe wilson
Instructor

Originally Posted by playsdixie
there are several threads on bypassing the TDS system.....I'm not sure but I think they sell a "kit".........easy to install a simple "kill" switch....
I sure hope the kit comes with instructions! The only way I know to turn it off is to remove the battery cable right now. I'll see if I can find the threads.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:02 PM
stabac
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by joe wilson
I sure hope the kit comes with instructions! The only way I know to turn it off is to remove the battery cable right now. I'll see if I can find the threads.
I'm going through the same problem, only I broke the pawl on the cylinder. Isn't there afuse we could pull that would disable Alarm system?
Old 07-11-2018, 01:00 AM
stabac
Racer

When the door is unlocked does the outside handle open the door?
Old 07-19-2018, 08:58 AM
joe wilson
Instructor

Originally Posted by stabac
When the door is unlocked does the outside handle open the door?
Yes, everything works except for the key lock. I haven't started working on it yet, figured I'd look for a picture of what I'm getting into before I start.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:56 PM
stabac
Racer

Yes, everything works except for the key lock. I haven't started working on it yet, figured I'd look for a picture of what I'm getting into before I start.
I just came home from the VA Hospital after carpal tunnel surgery. My handle arrived in the mail today, give me a day or so and I'll try to get a pic. I still have the interior panel and the metal brace off so I should be able to get a decent picture.
EDIT: have a few things for you to look at but can't type very well right now....later

Last edited by stabac; 07-19-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:32 PM
joe wilson
Instructor

I just came home from the VA Hospital after carpal tunnel surgery. My handle arrived in the mail today, give me a day or so and I'll try to get a pic. I still have the interior panel and the metal brace off so I should be able to get a decent picture.
EDIT: have a few things for you to look at but can't type very well right now....later
Take your time, I've got another issue with the car as of today. The turn signal quit working because one of the rear bulbs burned out and I'm trying to figure out a way for this fat guy to reach in there far enough to change it out. I started another thread on the bulb changing and got a few suggestions, so I'm probably gonna do that tomorrow if all goes well.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I would BET that the plastic clip that holds the rod to the pawl on the backside of the door lock cylinder broke and the rod has fallen out.

DUB
Old 07-23-2018, 07:33 PM
joe wilson
Instructor

I finished up the grueling task of replacing the tail light bulb and am getting ready to remove the door panel to see why the lock doesn't work. I've done the panel thing before when I installed some radio speakers and repaired the power windows. It surely will be easier than what I went through today with the tail light. I think I might have lost about a fourth pint of blood from my arm before I was done..
Old 07-24-2018, 09:14 AM
BADRACR1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar issue. I bought an '85 a couple of weeks ago. My key will work the console. It will not work the storage bins at all. It will occasionally lock the driver's door but has only unlocked it twice. Doesn't work at all in the passenger door. The key isn't worn at all and the locks work perfectly with the power buttons. I pulled the panel and everything is hooked up. Tried lubricating both door locks and the bins but no go. It won't turn the cylinders. Any ideas?
Old 07-24-2018, 09:43 AM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by BADRACR1
I have a similar issue. I bought an '85 a couple of weeks ago. My key will work the console. It will not work the storage bins at all. It will occasionally lock the driver's door but has only unlocked it twice. Doesn't work at all in the passenger door. The key isn't worn at all and the locks work perfectly with the power buttons. I pulled the panel and everything is hooked up. Tried lubricating both door locks and the bins but no go. It won't turn the cylinders. Any ideas?
For me....if your car where in my shop...I would be getting the lock cylinders serviced ( rebuilt) or replace them. The tumblers in them can be worn out and regardless if the key is good and not worn does not mean anything. It is an internal lock cylinder issue.

IF the key will work by you slightly moving it in and out while going up and down with in in VERY SLIGHT movements...then it is internal issues. And by slight movements I mean like a few thousandths of an inch. B y doing this you are raking the tumblers and can get them to line up so the lock cylinder will rotate. All it takes is ONE tumbler to not line up and the lock cylinder will not turn.

If you have ever seen the inside workings of a lock cylinder and see how it works. It would make complete sense.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
BADRACR1 (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 12:18 PM
BADRACR1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
For me....if your car where in my shop...I would be getting the lock cylinders serviced ( rebuilt) or replace them. The tumblers in them can be worn out and regardless if the key is good and not worn does not mean anything. It is an internal lock cylinder issue.

IF the key will work by you slightly moving it in and out while going up and down with in in VERY SLIGHT movements...then it is internal issues. And by slight movements I mean like a few thousandths of an inch. B y doing this you are raking the tumblers and can get them to line up so the lock cylinder will rotate. All it takes is ONE tumbler to not line up and the lock cylinder will not turn.

If you have ever seen the inside workings of a lock cylinder and see how it works. It would make complete sense.

DUB
The key is actually a copy! I hadn't noticed it was not a GM blank. I took out a lock and dropped it by a friend who is a locksmith. He will see if he can make one that works. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2018, 05:04 PM
stabac
Racer

Joe, Did you get the panels off and were you able to determine your door lock problem?
Old 07-25-2018, 01:32 AM
joe wilson
Instructor

Joe, Did you get the panels off and were you able to determine your door lock problem?
No, I wasn't home today, had a few errands to run. My arms are still healing up from the tail light replacement so it may be a few more days before I feel like working on it again, not sure..I need to get it done so I can drive it to town and not worry about not being able to lock it..

Get notified of new replies

To 85 Door lock question

Old 07-25-2018, 01:57 AM
stabac
Racer

No, I wasn't home today, had a few errands to run. My arms are still healing up from the tail light replacement so it may be a few more days before I feel like working on it again, not sure..I need to get it done so I can drive it to town and not worry about not being able to lock it..
Looks like I'll have to take mine in and have the door handle replaced. Had my carpal tunnel surgery a week ago and it's more than I expected, these fingers won't be turning any nuts for awhile.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:43 AM
DUB
Race Director

. Isn't there afuse we could pull that would disable Alarm system?
YES...without knowing the year model...hard to tell you where it is due to locations changed.

Keep in mind it is not the VATS system we are referring to. Due to some years have two systems in play to keep the car from being stolen.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 07-26-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:14 PM
joe wilson
Instructor

I made a feeble attempt to repair my door lock today with no results. I took the panel off without any problem but couldn't even see the lock from the inside and couldn't get my hand up in the door to feel where the link joined to the lock. I decided to just slap it back together for the time being and wait till I get more information about what I'm doing. I guess I can still lock the car but it takes longer. Have to unlock it from the passenger side, guess I can live with it for now..

Quick Reply: 85 Door lock question