C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

OBD 2 issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 06:59 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by fake
Let the state inspection station bring up the codes. The Ob1 system is just a worth less code system . You can dump a ton of hours into finding codes that lead to dead ends, I know i have a 93 since new and spent many hours trying to bring codes up nothing ever came up correct. You can jump it out with a paper clip and get the same results as a $500.00 scan tool.

Far as OBD-1 SCANNERS GO:
It might depend on the particular scanner. I have an old AutoXray unit that will read both OBD-1 and !! just fine.

Although it won't sniffer test, it will do all the essentials, e.g., ignition timing, O2 cross counts, integrator values (key to emissions too) TPS, IAC, coolant temp, RPM...

Methinks your OBD-1 scanner is the issue. NOT OBD-1. Same issue with a sn AutoZone's "OBD-1" scanner I tried. NO WORKIE either!
Old 06-01-2018, 08:35 AM
jesters94
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C4 of the Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Paul Workman

Far as OBD-1 SCANNERS GO:
It might depend on the particular scanner. I have an old AutoXray unit that will read both OBD-1 and !! just fine.

Although it won't sniffer test, it will do all the essentials, e.g., ignition timing, O2 cross counts, integrator values (key to emissions too) TPS, IAC, coolant temp, RPM...

Methinks your OBD-1 scanner is the issue. NOT OBD-1. Same issue with a sn AutoZone's "OBD-1" scanner I tried. NO WORKIE either!
This was true. The scanner the mechanic was using could not talk to OBD1 nor can my scanner.

In the end it turns out I did not need emissions any way and the clerk at the DMV laughed when she saw the failed emissions test! To quote her "Why are they doing an emissions test on a 1994 vehicle? This isn't required."
Old 06-01-2018, 08:41 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by jesters94
This was true. The scanner the mechanic was using could not talk to OBD1 nor can my scanner.

In the end it turns out I did not need emissions any way and the clerk at the DMV laughed when she saw the failed emissions test! To quote her "Why are they doing an emissions test on a 1994 vehicle? This isn't required."
Exactly. That is why the state-networked scanner wouldn't work: it is specifically only designed to read OBD2 cars. That is to say, it isn't an OBD1 scanner! It's not a scanner intended to diagnose problems for the sake of fixing them. It has a very specific purpose: to verify that OBD2 cars are compliant with emissions regs. It's working exactly the way it's intended. I suspect your personal reader is the same: it's intended only to read OBD2 cars.

Quick Reply: OBD 2 issues