C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rust!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 12:20 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 182 Posts

Default Rust!!

Last night I picked up a parking brake assembly from the wreck yard.. Its pretty rusty as seen here:

Name:  BNBuTIh.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  565.2 KB

My questions are, considering there are some moving parts and (bearings?) in this thing what can I soak it in to both clean the part and remove rust without fcking the part up?

Also, what lubricant would be best after said cleaning bath?
Old 05-10-2018, 12:25 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Eastwood is a reputable brand. Some research reading:

https://www.eastwood.com/paints/rust...14c72b6388e9d2
The following users liked this post:
AgentEran (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 12:33 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

I cleaned the one I purchased from a salvage yard with brake cleaner first. I washed a lot of grit out of the mechanism. Got every thing cleaned and working smoothly and then coated every thing with pb blaster and set it out to dry.

After allowing the pb blaster to dry out, I the lubed the moving parts with some spray lube and it has worked flawlessly for over two years now.

Take your time cleaning and make sure that you lube the moving parts and it will work out for you.
AgentEran (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 01:24 PM
SimonZ06
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I restore old bikes and use white vinegar diluted with water and let soak. It will even clean up chrome parts to look as good as possible without a re-plate. There's plenty of info on Google. As far as lubricant, I'd use a good white lithium but there are a gazillion different options.
AgentEran (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 02:24 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

EvapoRust will remove rust, not remove paint. Is water soluble and not acid based.

Then after you have it clean, Eastwood has a bare metal clear that can be used if you don't want to paint it with color.

If you stick that end down in EvapoRust and let it sit for 24 hours, the rust will be gone.

https://www.evapo-rust.com/

Last edited by drcook; 05-10-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:30 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by drcook
EvapoRust will remove rust, not remove paint. Is water soluble and not acid based.

Then after you have it clean, Eastwood has a bare metal clear that can be used if you don't want to paint it with color.

If you stick that end down in EvapoRust and let it sit for 24 hours, the rust will be gone.

https://www.evapo-rust.com/
Old 05-10-2018, 02:43 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Originally Posted by RUU
Looking like ill be going to grab some evaporust on the way home today!
Old 05-10-2018, 06:42 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,401 Likes on 923 Posts

I've been experimenting with rust removal using various liquids lately. Sort of a home science experiment. Nearly any acid will attack iron oxide. Some have proven to me to be preferable for a variety of reasons.

White vinegar works.

Molasses works, but is messy and harder to clean up afterward.

Diet soda also works.

I've settled on lemon juice as my preferred liquid. It's environmentally benign, can be dumped down the drain, and cleans up easily with running water.

If that were my project, I'd soak that critter in some lemon juice, checking frequently on its progress, and pull it out as soon as it seems clean enough. Flush thoroughly with tap water, dry with compressed air and/or elevated temperature, then lube any moving interfaces sparingly with a light oil or ATF.

Good luck with it.

Live well,

SJW
AgentEran (05-10-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 10:45 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Lemon juice would work because of the citric acid. It is chemically removing the rust as well as base metal.

EVAPO-RUST® works through selective chelation. This is a process in which a large synthetic molecule forms a bond with metals and holds them in solution. Most chelating agents bind many different metals. The active ingredient in EVAPO-RUST® bonds to iron exclusively. It can remove iron from iron oxide but is too weak to remove iron from steel where the iron is held much more strongly. Once the chelating agent has removed the iron, a sulfur bearing organic molecule pulls the iron away from the chelator and forms a ferric sulfate complex which remains water soluble. This frees the chelating agent to remove more iron from rust.

Evapo-Rust FAQs - Evapo-Rust
https://www.evapo-rust.com/product-info/faqs/
Rust is iron oxide. EvapoRust will only remove the iron from oxides of iron (if there is iron oxide used a color in paint, it can harm that). Unlike acids which will also attack the base metal.

Now I am not saying all uses of an acid based product are bad. In fact, I use Ospho, which is a phosphoric based rust removal product a lot. I am just selective as to what I use each on.

Last edited by drcook; 05-11-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:01 AM
AgentEran
Drifting

Lemon juice would work because of the citric acid. It is chemically removing the rust as well as base metal.

Rust is iron oxide. EvapoRust will only remove the iron from oxides of iron (if there is iron oxide used a color in paint, it can harm that). Unlike acids which will also attack the base metal.

Now I am not saying all uses of an acid based product are bad. In fact, I use Ospho, which is a phosphoric based rust removal product a lot. I am just selective as to what I use each on.
So you are a proponent of using lemon juice for my rusty parking brake, right?
Old 05-11-2018, 11:44 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AgentEran
So you are a proponent of using lemon juice for my rusty parking brake, right?
No, not at all. I still go with my original suggestion of EvapoRust because it will not damage anything in the assembly. It won't loosen it up due to removal of metal, etc.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:07 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

No, not at all. I still go with my original suggestion of EvapoRust because it will not damage anything in the assembly. It won't loosen it up due to removal of metal, etc.
lol okok thanks, its early here and I don't think my comprehension is up to par yet.

Get notified of new replies

To Rust!!

Quick Reply: Rust!!