C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 versus C5

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 01:58 PM
LT4_383
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 versus C5

What are the main differances ? In you oppinion who do you like better and why ?
Old 10-17-2002, 02:04 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: C4 versus C5 (LT4_383)

What are the main differances ?
EVERYTHING.

There is nothing carried over from the C4 to the C5. Not even the engine. it was all new... the transmission, chassis, suspension.

I do suspect the electrical is somewhat a carry over, but that is debatable.

In you oppinion who do you like better and why ?
I don't have enough experience with a C5 to answer this question... but I do know people who have bought C5's and ended up selling them to get a C4....

The C4 is apparently much more in your face. more elemental. but still refined enough to use as a daily driver... they are not nearly as tempermental as the C3's, or earlier.

however, the C4 is rather complex, alas, not as complex as the C5.

From what I have seen, the C5 is very nicely put together, tho... and much stiffer.

I was talking with a corvette recycler, Vette2Vette (a forum vendor), she told me that it takes 3 men 2-3 days to take a C5 apart - and 5-7 days to take a C4 apart!!!!

whichever you decide on, you will have a very special car in your garage!!!

are you really from Iceland???
Old 10-17-2002, 02:35 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

C5 feels more refined, you dont feel the power nor do you hear the rumble of the engine as much as a C4.

C4 just feels more raw, and more like a race car.

There are no similarities between the two cars, the frame, the engine, the interior and exterior are all entirely different. The manual transmissions are different too.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:47 PM
fullboogie
Burning Brakes

Default Re: C4 versus C5 (vader86)

That, and the fact that the C5 looks like a cross between an NSX and a wedge of cheese.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:34 PM
MeanGreenVette
Instructor

Default Re: C4 versus C5 (fullboogie)

That, and the fact that the C5 looks like a cross between an NSX and a wedge of cheese.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bought my C4 almost 2 years ago. I specifically looked for a nice 95 or 96, because I wanted one of the last years of the C4 and not a C5.

We have to be careful how we tread here, because as stated, they are vastly different cars and this line of debate could insult some fellow vette enthusiasts and we do NOT want that to happen. But aestetically, I prefer the C4. There is much to love about the C5s, however, the NSX/Cheese comparison is not too far off the mark. Technologically, they are superior in most ways. Call me predjudice, but I prefer an LT1/LT4 over an LS motor when modified.

Bottom line, drive them both and go with your gut feeling. Either way, you can't go wrong. :yesnod:
Old 10-17-2002, 03:42 PM
fullboogie
Burning Brakes

Default Re: C4 versus C5 (JConforti)

:
We have to be careful how we tread here, because as stated, they are vastly different cars and this line of debate could insult some fellow vette enthusiasts and we do NOT want that to happen. But aestetically, I prefer the C4.
You're right. No insult intended, just kidding around.

But ask me what I prefer, my 96 CE or my 71 440 'Cuda? I'll take the 'Cuda any day. My 'Vette is superior in every way except one: character. The old musclecars just drip with menace, and there's something really special about owning one. I kinda feel the same way with the C4/C5 comparison. My 96 isn't as "refined" according to everyone, but it has more "character" to me, whatever that is.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:57 PM
Phil-tha-Rush
Le Mans Master

[quote]1st - if you're looking for a Corvette, go with the C5. Don't waste time with the C4[quote]

the above comment was made in the C-5 section, so it is apparent that opinions do differ.

BOTH are nice cars, with the C-5 having a little more of a technological edge. The C-5 was also built with "luxury" in mind, and really IS a fantastic car.

Someone above, commented that some have sold thier C-5s to buy another C-4, and that is true, perhaps because the C-4 is more of a "pure" sports car, with little or no consideration to luxury, but evrything devoted to performace.
I read somewhere that the C-4 was the last Corvette devoted STRICTLY to performance, and I believe it.
I also believe that BOTH are incredable cars, just different.

I have seriously considered a C-5, but they just dont make my blood boil like a C-4 does :yesnod:

My suggestion??

If you want a daily driver that is comfortable, AND has a lot of performance, AND is at home at the country club, as well as on a twisty road....think about a C-5.

If you want a "throwback" kindof car, with a feeling of RAW performance, and not all of the benifits of a Lexus, consider a C-4.

just my $.02 and no flames intended. :seeya

my personal thoughts are that a C-5 is a great car, and a C-4 is a HOT-ROD :cheers:

[Modified by Phil-tha-Rush, 2:10 PM 10/17/2002]

[Modified by Phil-tha-Rush, 1:11 PM 10/18/2002]
Old 10-17-2002, 04:40 PM
LT4_383
Cruising

I understand, thanks for greate response. I am looking for the feeling of power, and my LT4 engine will be delivering a good some of RWH so I´d defenetly go by the C4 by what I hear frome you guys :cool:

As far as performance go´s I think the C5 is a little better. The gearbox is rearaxle mounted and there for taking weight from the front and moving it back for better balance, but is that american ? In my mind american muschle is a sick RD touqe machine that never stops on the staight lain, there for the C4 must feel more american.

I´m checking out some C4´s theyse days and maby I will end upp as a proud corvette owner here in Iceland instead of camaro owner ...

[Modified by LT4_383, 8:42 PM 10/17/2002]
Old 10-17-2002, 04:59 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Well, if you got a 96 LT4, then you would be able to beat 97-00 Corvettes with the LS1 engine in a 1/4mi run.

The LT4 was rated at 330hp from the factory, but most dyno tests show that it puts down 300hp to the rear wheels, giving it 350hp. Early LS1s are 345, barely. Only the newer ones will beat you consistently, and any Z06 should beat you as well.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:18 PM
LT4_383
Cruising

Here are the specs of my motor ...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=413250

Its no longer a LT4, just sounds cooler than a LT1 you know :) I will hopefully be able to beat the Z06, end whippe it with NOS. But its not good to say this and that about things that haven´t been tested, so time will show what my 1/4 mile times are going to be :cool:
Old 10-17-2002, 06:07 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

its only fair for you to also post this on the C5 site...(if you haven't already).

Well, we all know the C4 is somewhat less reliable. If you are considering buying one, consider buying a new opti-spark if its a 92 through 94.

C5 seems more of like a gentlemans car with a Camaro-like interior (I am not saying the C4's interior is ideal...but its more interesting looking, instead of plain-like). I do love the center C5 console pillar that has the Corvette logo though.

I don't like the front end styling. It looks like a 91 Trans AM GTA with the air scoops. Also C5's must be leased a lot because I see them everywhere.

But I do like the C5 back end styling better (looks more modern, C4 looks more antiquated)

. C4 is more bumpy, in your face, engine noise, ferrari 308/328 like looks, etc.

Going away from the subjective stuff, the C5 shines. Its chassis and stiffness aid in putting that power to the ground.

At the limit I hear from testdrivers where I work they are about equal, but the C5 might trick you into thinking its got more. The C4 when you are working it around a track you know you are pushing it into the danger zone. The C5 (non Z06 is the only one I have had experience with)has a little bit of dead on-center steering feel...great for long trips. Get it past that on-center and bam! it handles beautifully.

The C4 is more darty like a race car, hardly any deadness on-center.

But....that active handling system on the C5 is far superior to the ASR traction control on the C4 so that theoretically should prevent any mishaps..!

There are goods and bads to both and I don't want to offend anyone. I am kinda curious to hear what the C5 owners say about the C4. Or especially some people own both!
Old 10-17-2002, 06:24 PM
LT5
Le Mans Master

Default Re: C4 versus C5 (dizwiz24)

The C5 is a quieter, more comfortable ride. Its easier to get in and out of. The interior ergonomics are also wonderful and the LS1 is the best mass produced push rod engine in the world. But most of all it wasn't for me........I needed a raw, screaming beast. I didn't care how comfortable it was or how difficult it was to live with. Thats why I picked the ZR1. I've never driven anything like it and I think its everything a sports car should be. And theres something about that clamshell hood..........
Old 10-17-2002, 06:39 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

C5 feels more refined, you dont feel the power nor do you hear the rumble of the engine as much as a C4.

C4 just feels more raw, and more like a race car.

There are no similarities between the two cars, the frame, the engine, the interior and exterior are all entirely different. The manual transmissions are different too.
Ever driven a C4 with stock exhaust and a C5 w/ stock exhaust? The C5 will defenitely be louder when you open up the throttle.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:41 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Default Re: C4 versus C5 (Twinnie)

Ever driven a C4 with stock exhaust and a C5 w/ stock exhaust? The C5 will defenitely be louder when you open up the throttle.
Yes, and i didnt like the stock sound of the C5. Of course, i dont like the C4s much better.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:11 PM
Shriker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As most have stated , there are few similarities between the two.

First and foremost the C5 primarily had to "cure" the ailments of the C4 , or what was most complained about by average owners.....build quality, structure/stiffness, comfort/luxury, ease of entry/exit, reliability....etc. It easily did all of these things. It has a longer wheelbase for more interior space and a better ride. Tranny is rear mounted for more interior leg room and more stability. But......

As has been noted , in the process , it moved a little more to being like a mainstream car (its impossible to acheive those goals and NOT be more like a regular car). The C4 has a very short wheelbase for quick agile handling. It has most of its mass in the center of the car (engine/tranny) . Its styling is not derivative of anything on the interior and on the exterior only previous Vettes. The C5 (though it looks great) is highly derivative mainly of the last gen RX7 Turbo especially from the front. The C4 is indeed a more complex car (many more parts, almost 1/3 more than the C5) and more engineering man hours went into its design than any Corvette in history (and probably of any to come because of the vast constant improvements in technology).

In terms of performance it is remarkably close if you try to compare the right cars together C4 v. C5. The 01 Z06 and a 95 ZR-1 would probably be very close in straight line acceleration , but having the ZR walk by from 165 on up to 180+. If clad with similar rubber, the ZR-1 would most likely be able to stay close around a road course as well, though it would probably lose. C5 brakes are better and C5's (especially hardtop models) are lighter. The newer 02+ Z06's would give the ZR a harder time in acceleration though, but it does have shorter gearing, if they were the same......hmmmmm.

Take a 96 Z51, LT4 C4 vs. a 97-00 C5 and again , things would probably be very close. In acceleration they would most likely be within a tenth or two of each other in the quarter mile and nearly identical on top speed . The C5 would again have better brakes (but the J55's are no slouches , just relative to the newer ones....) . On autoX courses or roadcourses they would most likely be VERY close with equal rubber.

I remember reading a Vette engineer's comment that the new (C5) would not necessarily offer performance that was that much better but that the rest of the car would be a drastic improvement . That is pretty close , I think :seeya
Old 10-17-2002, 08:31 PM
VQT88Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about newer C4, but to compare between an older C4 to a C5,I'll would say. You get to drive a C5 more often than fixing it. With an older C4, you'll be fixing it constantly :mad
Old 10-17-2002, 08:58 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

moving to "General" I'll review this later, last time it got real ugly.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 versus C5

Old 10-17-2002, 11:11 PM
Denney
Melting Slicks

OK, first off, I like them both. I had a 94 vert until recently and sold it in order to find a 96 GS. THEN GM offered 0 down, 0% financing (for 5 years) for 02 leftovers and that seemed like a deal I could not pass up. I just purchased an 02 Electron Blue coupe (pick it up on Saturday) and I was able to keep my money in the bank while I continue the search for the right GS. I can agree with most of what has been said, but as mentioned earlier you should post this on both C4 and C5 forums to get a "fair" hearing from both sides. An awful lot of C5 owners were once C4 owners and, from what I have read, they are never looking back. I also own 2 C2's and honestly think from an aesthetics perspective, nothing beats them. So I return to my opening statement, I like them both but for completely different reasons.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:37 AM
DarkHalo
Safety Car

Location: SCMR Rat Pack'r Charter Member, Inland Empire Chapter
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy, talk about a topic to get the groups blood boiling...in the C4 and C5 sections.

Ill keep my opinion simple and to the point. My '91 is hard to get in and out of. Its loud inside (partly due to flowmasters granted), the ZF6 trannie is loud as hell and HOT all the time. The top is a royal pain to get on and off most of the time. It has quirkie electrical issues and when I do have the top off (which is almost all the time) I can feel the body flex a LOT. Especially under aggressive driving.

And I wouldnt change a damned thing.

Im sure I could have afforded a C5 but damnit I crawled into the cockpit of my C4 and it so much reminded me of the fighter jets I worked on in the USAF years ago.... It was love at first drive. I look into a C5 and it reminds me of my ex wifes Camaro. Nothing against the Camaro mind you...but its not a vette.

A vette should fit me, a tall gorgeous blonde and have enuff room left over for a couple bottles of wine and not much more. (well, maybe a thong or two for her...) But a trunk thatll hold 2 golf bags like the C5 does? (Whats next Grey Poupon?) Thats not for me. Maybe its for the country club crowd .....but not for me.

I can jump into it, grab the stick and be gone in a cloud of L98 induced tire smoke. Dood...it makes my blood boil like no other car Ive ever driven. Stop light to stoplight...on the freeway blasting past people in the fast lane or screaming thru the twistie turnies in the mountains at 2+ times the posted speed limit...Ill keep my C4.

Its funny how the car mags trashed the C4s when they were brand new for being too refined and too smooth, lol.

Im already making plans for 2 more C4s...Id like to get a late '80's vert (I want one with round tail lights) as a daily driver and after that a '96 LT4. Im gonna be one of those crazy old coots with a garage fulla vettes when i retire :yesnod: :blueangel:

Dont worry Frank....it doesnt look like this one will get ugly :cheers:

[Modified by DarkHalo, 8:46 PM 10/17/2002]
Old 10-18-2002, 01:05 AM
GDP
Team Owner

Main differences are pretty much everything. There are, IMO, quite a few styling cues from the C4 in the C5. The C5 is a much more balanced and refined Corvette. There are less rattles, more power, less problems, handle better, weigh much less, and I really love the way they look. Lots of people don't like the rear end, but I think it looks awesome. Another difference is the overall quality. I'm not saying the C4 is bad, in fact I love the C4. The C5 is just an improvement over the C4. The C4 has more aftermarket parts, costs less, but has a more... for lack of a better word, sporty feel to it.

And to the first reply: The LT1 and LS1 engines share the same block, but the LT1 is iron, the LS1 is aluminum so it weighs MUCH less and runs cooler. So there is at least one carry-over.

Quick Reply: C4 versus C5