C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How to align a roof panel

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 11:43 AM
Scoob
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How to align a roof panel

I'm not sure this qualifies as a (TECH) post so I put it here in C4 General.

====

How fun is trying to align a roof panel to properly fit a C4? Not much.

I bought a GM transparent top to compliment my factory solid black top. The first time I tried to install it I spent about 90 minutes trying to get the front brackets to line up right for a snug fit. I used the Sharpee marker pen method. First I loosened the front mounting brackets, installed the roof, marked the position with the pen, carefully removed the roof so as to not disturb the position of the bracket, tightened the bracket, re-installed the roof. It worked but somehow the top never fit exactly right. So I said to myself, “Self, there’s got to be a better way.” So I set out in search of it. And I’m pretty sure I found it. It’ll take you about an hour to do this but it is real easy. So easy I thought of it, that’s how easy.

Step 1: This is the front mounting bracket I’m talking about. There is one on each front corner of the roof. Go ahead and loosen the 2 bolts holding the brackets to the roof. Loosen them just enough so that the bracket can move around. You do not need to remove them. You can use your roof removal tool to loosen these bolts. Loosen both brackets.

[img]//temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/scoob//roofalign01.jpg[/img]

Step 2: Outside the car. You need to remove the 2 small trim piece that runs along the top of the windshield by the sun visors. Driver side piece shown below. Each piece is held on by 2 screws. Remove the trim piece from each side.

[img]//temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/scoob//roofalign02.jpg[/img]

Step 3: You now need to remove the sun visors. This is easily accomplished by using a regular screwdriver to pry up the fastener shown below. Do this carefully as there is a spring under there that you do not want to lose. There is not a lot of tension on the spring so you shouldn’t have to worry about it popping up and taking your eye out. But just in case maybe you should wear eye protection. Remove the fastener from each side. With the fastener removed the sun visor just pulls out from inside the car. If you have vanity mirrors on your visors be careful so that you don’t break the wires. Gently let the visors hang.

[img]//temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/scoob//roofalign03.jpg[/img]

Step 4: Inside the car. Now you need to remove the trim piece that runs along the length of the top of the windshield. This is held on by 6 (if I remember correctly) small screws. Once you get all the screws out you can pull the piece down and out of your way.

[img]//temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/scoob//roofalign04.jpg[/img]

Here is what it looks like with the trim piece out of the way.

[img]//temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/scoob//roofalign06.jpg[/img]

Step 5: Now install your roof. With the roof installed and all the trim out of the way you will see that there are access holes for the roof mounting brackets now easily accessible to you. (Sorry the pics are blurry.)

[img]//temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/scoob//roofalign07.jpg[/img]

[img]//temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/scoob//roofalign08.jpg[/img]

Get the roof panel situated correctly so that the fit is good. Insert and slightly tighten the front roof mounting bolts. Do not tighten them all the way yet. This is how you get the front brackets aligned properly. Now, using your roof removal tool get up there and tighten the bracket bolts securely. After you tighten both roof brackets go ahead and finish installing the roof by securely tightening all 4 roof mounting bolts. You should now have a properly fitting and aligned roof panel.

Step 6: Re-install all of your trim pieces and your sun visors.

As I mentioned at the top I used this method to properly align a top I bought that was originally on a ’96 C4. I then used this procedure to align my factory top. I was pleasantly surprised to find that re-aligning the factory solid top actually reduced the amount of water that would leak in when it rained or when I washed it.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:11 PM
Arisa
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How to align a roof panel (Scoob)

You REALLY need to submit this as a tech tip.

Thanks for the info.

Neal
Old 10-09-2002, 05:06 PM
388 SOLid RoLLeR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to align a roof panel (Arisa)

now THAT is what i was looking for. Scooby ur the best!!! im running to do it now!!!!
Old 10-09-2002, 05:30 PM
T1Kilr
Drifting

Job well done!! Now finish it by submitting it as a Tech Tip. Can a moderator help with this? :cheers: :cheers:
Old 10-09-2002, 05:37 PM
your drinking buddy
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Default Re: How to align a roof panel (T1Kilr)

Great idea! You really need to submit it as a Tech Tip like someone else said :cheers:
Old 10-09-2002, 06:36 PM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just went thru this and the first time I did it I found I had a water leak if you sprayed high pressure around the front of the roof. Someone was nice enough to FAX me instruction on how to do this and I followed them exactly. Now all is well and no leaks. The only things you did not mention is the space from the roof to the back should be 6mm. Make sure this is correct and then start adjusting the front. If the top will not snug down, you can adjust the up and down fit with the piece the top bolts are held onto. I had to do this a couple of times to get everything down correctly.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:51 PM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the explanation and illustration. I have been wanting to do this, but have been too lazy, lol.

J :seeya
Old 10-09-2002, 07:12 PM
No Ordinary 91
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: How to align a roof panel (JCAIRE2)

Thanks I have been fighting to get mine aligned this will help ALOT
Old 10-09-2002, 07:57 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I might be able to add something to this. When removing the sunvisor, you can use a pair of needlenose pliers to "unscrew" the thin round fastener from the visor, as the visor shaft is threaded and you will reduce your chances of bending or ruining the fastener. When reinstalling the visor, the easiest way to press these fasteners back on is to use a hand clamp with rubber jaws like the ones they sell at home improvement stores to hold the visor shaft up tight in the windshield frame, then use a nut driver to press the fastener down as far as you can get it. This will put enough tension on the springs below to keep the visors from flying into your face every time you hit the gas.
Old 10-10-2002, 02:58 AM
388 SOLid RoLLeR
Pro

Default Re: How to align a roof panel (vetracer)

i did this and it seems better, alot better. but what bothers me is the gap from the roof -rear hatch. on the drivers side its slightlymore than the passenger side, maybe 2 mm . i also noticed on the front of the windshield frame/moulding the roof is closer to the windshield on the drivers side. Does this mean that soemthing is out of whack?? :confused:
Old 10-10-2002, 04:05 AM
paintdaddy
Drifting

Default Re: How to align a roof panel (388 SOLid RoLLeR)

Thanks for the info.Ill be doing that this weekend. :cheers: :seeya
Old 10-10-2002, 12:40 PM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a way to adjust this. If I have time at lunch (that means no senior moment and forget to get the papers) I will try to key the adjustment procedures I have. Someone was nice enough to FAX full adjustment instructions when I bought my top in April.

:seeya
Old 10-10-2002, 07:08 PM
blk90rdstr
Drifting

Default Re: How to align a roof panel (aj1988)

Im so glad you posted this. I just put my hadtop on and just couldnt get the left front bolt in. NOW I know how i will get it. Thanks :cheers:
Old 10-10-2002, 07:27 PM
Wilson6t7
Race Director

Default Re: How to align a roof panel (vettes rule)

:cool:
Old 10-10-2002, 11:27 PM
388 SOLid RoLLeR
Pro

Default Re: How to align a roof panel (Micky T)

wow. Rides waaaaay better and tight. No sqeaks at all. Cant wait for the x-brace tho.

Anyone know why the rear of the roof is a little closer on one side than the other to the hatch?? its very minor.. like 1-2 mm but ti still bugs me. Makes it look liek the windshield frame is bent !
Old 10-11-2002, 12:44 AM
jsquared94
Drifting

NICE TIP!!!!! you da man, Scoob! another project now! :cheers:
Old 10-11-2002, 08:48 PM
The Paladin
Intermediate

Default Re: How to align a roof panel (jsquared94)

Ensure that when you are doing this work, your car is parked on a very level, very flat piece of ground, just as you drive her, with no extra load, and try to avoid putting your own body weight on the car when you are doing the final adjustments. The car should be in as close to a "free state" as you can ideally make it.

A caveat - be careful of the small spring retainer pieces and the threaded end of the sun visor bar. It is possible to damage the threads on the sun visor pivot so that the spring retainer will no longer effectively bite into the pivot.

Take care of your interior screws. Do not over-snug interior screws, for often times, they are set in poor material that strips easily. Also beware damaging the poor painted coating on the interior screws, for if you scratch the coating, you will have a rusting screw post haste.

Paladin

Get notified of new replies

To How to align a roof panel

Old 10-11-2002, 08:53 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Hmm.... I do the same thing but different.

Instead of removing all the trim I just loosen the adjusting plate, put the top on, run the bolts up into it and then run a sharpee marker along the edge of the adjusting plate. Take the top off and line the plates up. Tighten and put back on car.
Old 10-11-2002, 10:37 PM
Scoob
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: (scorp508)

Hmm.... I do the same thing but different.

Instead of removing all the trim I just loosen the adjusting plate, put the top on, run the bolts up into it and then run a sharpee marker along the edge of the adjusting plate. Take the top off and line the plates up. Tighten and put back on car.
Yeah. I went with the Sharpee method (as mentioned above) the first time but I just wasn't 100% satisified with the fit. It seemed to creak a bit too much at times. After doing it the other way it seemed to fit much better.
Old 10-13-2002, 08:32 AM
388 SOLid RoLLeR
Pro

Default Re: (Scoob)

:blueangel:

Quick Reply: How to align a roof panel