Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 for Daughter

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 10:46 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Peeling clearcoat is hardly a GM problem, nor unique to American cars. Most shops shun working on non-metal cars, thus charge more.

Only you know your daughter and what her true motives are in wanting a Corvette. It can be real cool that she wishes for one, but can alos be a disaster or even fatal for a new driver. We bought an extra car, nice used Volvos which my sons first learned on. Sometimes fender benders were involved, which is part of many new drivers path to experience.

When my eldest graduated college, I bought the new Ensign a nice, used BMW 5er AND a high performance driving course. He wanted more than two seats. The C4 may be maligned by some, but still has way more performance potential than 85% of cars on the road, thus can be dangerous for some.

Personally, I'd recommend a relatively mundane first car, either from a rental fleet or from an elderly person who took fantastic care of it. My son sneered at the 'brick' wagon, but I shrugged it off and said he could walk, ride his bike or whatever instead. He later learned the wisdom of our choice.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:10 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,964 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
For those of you with sons, it's even worse. Because there is 2 major motivation at that age, girls. They will do anything to try to impress them and maybe get a little affection. They will drive way too fast, do burnouts, slide the car, race Billy with his mustang, and do anything they can to try to see some *****.
Unless she "drives on both sides of the road" she won't be trying to see ***** as much as most guys.

OP. I'd check around and see what KBB and eBay has them SOLD, not asking, SOLD for. Might be a good time since winter, or at least up north, is coming and might depress prices some.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:57 AM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

call your insurance agent FIRST !
Old 10-26-2017, 05:36 PM
sray454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NeFloridaC6
I guess I'm a bad influence. I have owned a C6 for 6 years now, since my daughter was in 6th grade. Now she is in her first year at the local community college and needs a car. She wants a c4. I'm not against it, she would likely drive 20 miles a day doing easy driving.

Is it possible to get a decent c4 for around $5k? I told her as with any older car you need to consider repair costs. I've seen some junk and some nice overpriced cars but wanted to ask you guys and gals who drive them.

Nice down here in the C4 section, might have to stop by more often!
One more piece of advice - what ever car you buy them ... make sure its a manual shift. Reasons:

1. Can't drive and text at same time ( or very hard to )
2. No/few 'boys' will be able to drive it
3. I think driving a stick requires them to be more focused - I live in a college town and I've seen students doing all kinds of things while pointing the car in generally the right direction ( worst was a girl painting her toenails while doing 70 ).

Good Luck !!!
Old 10-26-2017, 06:55 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,964 Posts

Originally Posted by sray454
One more piece of advice - what ever car you buy them ... make sure its a manual shift. Reasons:

1. Can't drive and text at same time ( or very hard to )
2. No/few 'boys' will be able to drive it
3. I think driving a stick requires them to be more focused - I live in a college town and I've seen students doing all kinds of things while pointing the car in generally the right direction ( worst was a girl painting her toenails while doing 70 ).

Good Luck !!!
1. You know we can text verbally, right?

2. Seriously? I think the boy getting her pregnant is a bigger worry.

3. Only if you are shifting. When you are not......

4. If you are that worried about her bad behavior at this point, assuming she is an adult, why would you reward her with anything? Can't nanny the girl till she is 50.

Last edited by aklim; 10-26-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:01 PM
gman35
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Default nice one

I know of a nice manual trans c4 that I would like to have,, if you would buy my black 87 c4 that has a L98 with a auto trans.. my car is a very nice daily driver,, thanks gary I am also in north florida.. orange park
Originally Posted by NeFloridaC6
I guess I'm a bad influence. I have owned a C6 for 6 years now, since my daughter was in 6th grade. Now she is in her first year at the local community college and needs a car. She wants a c4. I'm not against it, she would likely drive 20 miles a day doing easy driving.

Is it possible to get a decent c4 for around $5k? I told her as with any older car you need to consider repair costs. I've seen some junk and some nice overpriced cars but wanted to ask you guys and gals who drive them.

Nice down here in the C4 section, might have to stop by more often!
Old 10-26-2017, 09:49 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 620 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Just to add, I think it's an absolutely terrible idea to get them a lt1 car. They are 16, they will be young. I know what you're thinking "well my child is a responsible kid, a good stufemt, etc". Let me be clear, I was all those things, but I'm young enough to remember what it was like at that age. They will race EVERYONE, they will do stupid things drivong, and a lightweight rwd 300hp car will get wrecked, and them hurt or even killed.

For those of you with sons, it's even worse. Because there is 2 major motivation at that age, girls. They will do anything to try to impress them and maybe get a little affection. They will drive way too fast, do burnouts, slide the car, race Billy with his mustang, and do anything they can to try to see some *****.

Obviously, the decision is yours. But take it from someone young enough to remember what it was like at that age, it's is a VERY VERY BAD IDEA. Get them a Corolla or Cobalt, they will get themselves into enough trouble with that.

I've had a C4 since I was 16. Happy to say I am still here(knocks on wood) Even if you are an older person, you will floor it. Just the nature of having something powerful I guess.

Quick Reply: C4 for Daughter