C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hard Top Installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 12:27 PM
jimb500
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Top Installation

I put the hard top on my 94 Vert for the first time this morning. I got the top a couple of months ago and I've been itching to try it out but it seemed like such a hassle I wanted to wait until Vert season was about over here in NJ.

Going by the instructions in the manual it was a bit of a struggle although the next time it will be a lot easier. What the book doesn't mention is that every thing has to be loose until the front gets locked down then the rest can get tightened.

I took it out after I'd tightened everything, figuring things would loosen on that first ride and I was right. About half way through things started to thump so I headed home and about half the bolts needed tightening.

Now she's on there good and most of the Vert squeals are gone. I can tell which are the suspension thumps and which were the top thumps.

I think I'm going to like the hard top for the winter even though the car isn't my daily driver. It a lot more airtight with the hard top, it actually fits quite well and snug all around.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:11 PM
Phil-tha-Rush
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Hard Top Installation (jimb500)

I just got mine on last Saturday also. Pics at this link

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...3345&members=1

I had a "rattle" to chase, and thought it might be in my storage area, and have had my top off and back 0n 2 times this week, and can now remove or replace it in about 10 minutes.

DEFINATELY, connect the 2 bolts on top of the windshield 1st.
Then I connected the 2 small rear corner bolts, and everythin went smoothly from there.

And YES, the bolts do loosen during the 1st trip out.

LOL :D :D

I like the looks with the top on way better than I liked my 91 coupe.

Looks like a different car than it did a week ago.

HIghway driving is actualy quiet now. :seeya
Old 10-03-2002, 04:17 PM
carguru
Advanced

One other tip. Don't forget to make sure that the hatch is closed tightly before putting the hardtop on. It is a real pain to have to take it back off to close it completely. :seeya
Old 10-03-2002, 10:23 PM
Raysur
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Hard Top Installation (Phil-tha-Rush)

Phil,
It's been a while since you posted. Where have you been?

There is only enough room for one red hardtop here.:lol:

Your car looks great. :cool:
Old 10-03-2002, 10:30 PM
baddmann
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How exactly does it bolt on? I have been considering purchasing one, but I am a little curious about the details...

I am pretty sure it uses the front two bolts in the windshield pillar, but how does the back attach?
Old 10-03-2002, 11:56 PM
carguru
Advanced

Default Re: Hard Top Installation (baddmann)

There are 14 screws total. There a the 2 screws in the windshield pillar (should be on the car already). These 2 require a long narrow torx tool (roof wrench from the coupe works best). There are 2 screws in the back corners of the top that screw into the softop pin latch. And 1 bracket per side with 5 screws each. The brackets fit into a slot in the hardtop. 2 screws attach to the hardtop and 3 screws secure to the car right on the black metal structure that the soft top bows are mounted to (just to front of the seat belt mount). All of the screws except for the 2 on the back corners of the hardtop are torx T-40. The 2 on the back corners of the hardtop are 8mm. After all of this, put the rear deck cover. If you buy one, make sure you get the brackets. Getting the wrenches and the cover would be good too. Hope this helps. :cheers:

[Modified by carguru, 11:18 PM 10/3/2002]
Old 10-04-2002, 12:12 AM
jimb500
Racer

I drove around for a while tonite with the hard top on, wow! Its really something.

I would never buy a coupe! I don't know about the C5 but the C4 Vert with the hard top is one quiet car! I prefer the looks of the Vert with the hard top to a coupe too.

Best of both worlds here, Vert in the summer, sealed up in the winter. Can you tell how pleased I am with my hard top purchase?
Old 10-04-2002, 12:38 AM
baddmann
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Hard Top Installation (carguru)

Holy cow... I was expecting something a little more simple I guess. I need to take a look at one before I make up my mind.

Thanx for the info!

:cheers: :cheers:
Old 10-04-2002, 12:43 AM
DON M
Drifting

I think the convertible with a hard top on is the way the Corvette should look. I feel like the coupe looks like a mobile greenhouse. I love my top.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:09 AM
Astro7
Racer

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Just took my hardtop off Sunday. It's cool enough here now for the ragtop. It's just too dang hot here in the summer. I'll be putting it back on sometime in late Novermber for the cold season. It wasn't that difficult to take off. Now just need to figure out where to store it so it will be safe.

[Modified by Astro7, 12:10 AM 10/4/2002]
Old 10-04-2002, 07:58 AM
Phil-tha-Rush
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Hard Top Installation (Raysur)

Phil,
It's been a while since you posted. Where have you been?

There is only enough room for one red hardtop here.:lol:

Your car looks great. :cool:

:D

At least we are on opposite coasts :D
Old 10-04-2002, 08:07 AM
Phil-tha-Rush
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Hard Top Installation (baddmann)

How exactly does it bolt on? I have been considering purchasing one, but I am a little curious about the details...

I am pretty sure it uses the front two bolts in the windshield pillar, but how does the back attach?

Actualy, it only taks a few minutes to remove or add the top.

The 1st time I installed it, it took avout 30 minutes, figuring which bracket goes on which side.
Also made the mistake of connecting the windshield bolts last.

I have had the top on and off a couple times this week for various reasons, and now I can install in 10 minutes or less.

Its not something to do on a daily basis, but it is well worth the time.

As mentioned earlier, the appearance alone makes this a worthwill option.

I believe that RAYSUR actually removed his ragtop because he was so happy with the hardtop that it is now a permanent addition.
Old 10-05-2002, 02:09 AM
Raysur
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Hard Top Installation (Phil-tha-Rush)

I sold my cloth top and will never go back. I call my car a hardtop not a convertible:D. The cloth top weighed 55lbs and my hardtop weighs 63lbs. Pretty even trade:yesnod:.

I had some noise problems with my top. It was a cracking sound. It drove me nuts. I've been screwing with the adjustments but I think it's fixed.:confused: It was silent after messing with it yesterday. Hopefully it is fixed.

Phil one red hardtop on each coast is cool by me. :jester

[Modified by Raysur, 10:14 PM 10/4/2002]

[Modified by Raysur, 10:15 PM 10/4/2002]
Old 12-20-2015, 01:20 PM
skullandbones
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Reviving this old thread from Oct 2002. I don't think the OP will mind.

Purchased a used top from a local vette shop. I looked long and hard for one on the web. As advertised, this one is "pristine". It could have been passed off as new if in the box. It did have one small cut on the driver's side weather striping though. It also has the hardware including the side brackets which go for $80 to $110 on line.

So I learned from this thread that you should install and tighten the forward bolts first and then pull the side bracket bolts down. The rear corner ones use an 8 mm wrench and the side ones use Torx40 style screws. I think the front ones require a special wrench but I am not quite sure about that. From what I have here and a few other sources for small hints, I think it is doable: probably 30 minutes to an hour the first time.

I'm looking forward to very comfortable driving conditions even with the few cold spells we have here in winter (AZ).

If anyone wants to share their experiences and/or hints for doing this task easier or better, feel free to chime in. (with pics would be good. I will add pics after I get mine on Monday).

Thank you,

WEK.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:17 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Even though it's a 13 year old thread, anyone with the factory hardtop should make sure to use the heavy steel brackets that bolt to the sides of the top and to the B-pillars!! These brackets are what creates the strength and increases body stiffness.

Without these in place, there will still be some movement in the windshield pillar and that can easily pull the latches out of the rear decklid.

For the front windshield pillar bolts, you can either carry a small 1/4" drive ratchet, a 3" extension and a T-40 bit. The various accessory catalogs have replicas of the OEM ratchet that came with the coupes. That would work too. For the rear bolts, a small 8mm ratchet box-end wrench will be a good one to use.

Here's pics of the original install instructions

The following users liked this post:
skullandbones (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 03:29 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Note that the factory convertible hardtop will not work on 86-88 convertibles. The Smoothline brand will work but they do not have the built in GM designed roll bar.
Some people have retrofitted the GM top to the earlier verts but it is quite a bit of work. I did the conversion on my previously owned 87. If anyone wants to know how to do this then drop me a PM.
My 87:

Old 12-20-2015, 03:35 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

I just love the look of the verts with a hard top. That's the way coupes should have been made.

Get notified of new replies

To Hard Top Installation

Old 12-20-2015, 04:01 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

And with a trunk lid !

The following users liked this post:
skullandbones (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 04:11 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
And with a trunk lid !

Old 12-20-2015, 07:22 PM
skullandbones
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I just realized what those box tubing protrusions from the hard top are. For some reason I thought they were for defrost vents. Don't know where that came from but after looking at the instructions above, I see how they add some real support to the top, like a roll bar. So I'm really glad those were added. A picture is truly worth a 1000 words, sometimes. Thanks, C4cruiser! I really like the looks of the hard top too. It's like having a different configuration (3 in one).

OK. I give up. That pic has to be an aftermarket thing right? I don't remember ever seeing a corvette with a trunk. Or is it photo shopped???

Thanks for all the info.

WEK.

Quick Reply: Hard Top Installation