C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Paint Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 08:32 AM
Fireeagle
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Paint Issue

This is my 1986 C4 hood. Over the last year, I have started seeing what looks like water stains on the hood. I've tried to hand compound them out with Maguires ultimate compound. I've tried claying the hood. Nothing seems to take these marks our and the two circular ones just showed up this week. It's covered whenever not being driven by 2 car covers.

It's a survivor and has never been repainted. Any recommendations short of a respray?
Old 07-31-2017, 12:53 PM
Fireeagle
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

There has to be some suggestions from this knowledgeable group.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:21 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

cant tell much from the picture but it looks like the clear coat is damaged/fading.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:27 PM
leadfoot33
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like the clear coat is coming or getting ready to.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:59 PM
rgauchey
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
if you leave a car with a two stage paint job outside, under a cover the clear coat will turn milky, or chaulky/white

usually happens in winter months after heavy rains, and it's well documented search google car cover ruined my paint

Most replies ironically are from guys suggesting the wind will cause the cover to scratch the car, which has never been my experience

after(and during) rains the cover must be removed
Every winter I cover my toy cars and have that milky colored residue on my cars. However, it's on the glass also. I wax my glass when waxing the car and have always suspected it was the wax outgassing.
The following users liked this post:
Fireeagle (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 02:32 PM
RWDsmoke
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

If you post this in the paint/body section you might get better results. Several very knowledgeable body shop guys are regulars on that forum.
Fireeagle (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 08:23 PM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

It's moisture getting in between the car and the cover. My gar is garaged so I do not have this problem, however... earlier this year I had just washed the car and dried it with my large microfiber towel. For some reason I draped the towel over the drivers side mirror and forgot about it until the next day. The clear coat on the mirror got all milky white and spotty. Luckily it aired dried after a day or so and returned to normal.

If yours has been there for a while I would do a lot of research on the subject. I'm sure Meguiar's forums and such have a lot of experience with this. I'm confident you do not need a repaint!
Fireeagle (08-01-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Issue

Quick Reply: Paint Issue