C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Wipers. Turn off problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 04:51 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Default Wipers. Turn off problem.

A lady friend took her '96 LT4 for inspection today and when they went to turn the wipers OFF, they wouldn't stop unless you turned the car Ignition off. After that, they will park and remain off. What should I look for when I see her car? Stalk switch contact problem or is there any park contacts in the motor housing that need to be checked?
Old 03-29-2017, 05:19 PM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Klondike
A lady friend took her '96 LT4 for inspection today and when they went to turn the wipers OFF, they wouldn't stop unless you turned the car Ignition off. After that, they will park and remain off. What should I look for when I see her car? Stalk switch contact problem or is there any park contacts in the motor housing that need to be checked?
I have had this happen on some of my other non corvette vehicles...some with park feature...some without. I would like to know what causes this problem so hopefully someone who has fixed it will chime in soon.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:46 PM
Went
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 69 Posts

I had the same issue but intermittent. The wipers would run till I shut the car(1989) off then they'd park. What I tried and it worked was: I pulled the end of the wiper motor off that has the circuit board on it. I cleaned the whole thing with contact cleaner. You could use Deoxit, MG Chemicals Super Contact Cleaner...any product like that. So I sprayed the assembly, circuit board, micro switch that was on the board several times. I lightly blew off the excess with my compressor and set it aside to dry. Then I put it back on the motor. It has worked without a hitch since then. Someone had told me there was a "park" micro switch that gets gunky and a cleaning might fix it. I really didn't have the $$ for a replacement part right then. I have found the contact cleaner to be an invaluable addition to my "tool box."

Went

Last edited by Went; 03-29-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:25 PM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Went
I had the same issue but intermittent. The wipers would run till I shut the car(1989) off then they'd park. What I tried and it worked was: I pulled the end of the wiper motor off that has the circuit board on it. I cleaned the whole thing with contact cleaner. You could use Deoxit, MG Chemicals Super Contact Cleaner...any product like that. So I sprayed the assembly, circuit board, micro switch that was on the board several times. I lightly blew off the excess with my compressor and set it aside to dry. Then I put it back on the motor. It has worked without a hitch since then. Someone had told me there was a "park" micro switch that gets gunky and a cleaning might fix it. I really didn't have the $$ for a replacement part right then. I have found the contact cleaner to be an invaluable addition to my "tool box."

Went
Excellent information...i an not currently having the problem like to OP but have had it in the past...like you intermittently...so I never repaired it. But now I know how.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:36 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Went

Went
That's the kind of thing I was thinking about; something that's different from the pages of the FSM that somebody has tried for themselves that worked. It may be a week or two till I see this lady and get a chance to work on her car. I wanted to get some ideas from those who have seen and cured this problem before I get into it myself.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:39 AM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Your problem is the circuit board or brain or the rear of the wiper motor. It is easy to remove qnd in my case replace. There ere new and febuilt ones, as well as
used.
I got one from Jason at Vette2vette and as always works great. Mine had lost its mind completely.
It takes 2 minutes tu change and is thankfully fully accessible. One of the commonl faults of a 96.

Get notified of new replies

To Wipers. Turn off problem.

Quick Reply: Wipers. Turn off problem.