Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Prospective new purchase price question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 08:20 AM
jpipx
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Prospective new purchase price question...

Looking at a 1995 C4 Automatic Convertible, owner listed at $11k. It was described as being "excellent condition", 44k miles, custom turquoise color. Owner describes that he never did anything to it in the past 6 years of ownership, believes he is the second owner.

Closer inspection revealed a leaking water pump which leaves a significant puddle (advised that it not be driven any further so as not to risk the opti), the "check gauges" light is on probably because the fuel gauge is buried in the "reserve" area even though tank is full, weatherstripping needs replacement.

Bushings look good (always garaged), trans fluid clean (no burning smell), oil condition appears reasonable. udders were clear and no signs of water inside cabin. Customary oil seepage around engine... nothing serious. Top is in good condition and the interior is reasonable wear for age. Has dual power seats, ride control, electronic climate control, stock rims.

Northeast region.

What do you think a fair and reasonable price would be?

I've already done calculations based upon repair costs for the items and kbb.com pricing.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:06 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,959 Likes on 943 Posts

You should look at Corvette DNA - its an app on Apple or Android...to me its the bible of Vette Values...so much more accurate than KBB.

Now a few concerns.

1) What does "custom color" mean? Was the car repainted? If yes, why? If its some off the wall color, it may hurt resale value.

2) If it has a water pump leak - I would not consider it in "excellent" condition. Alot of sellers think that you slap on a nice paint job that shines and your Vette in now considered "excellent"...then you open the door and all the leather is worn or ripped, or you pop the hood and the motor looks like a lego set. If I were you, I would look at "DRIVER" condition values.

3) Can you share pictures of the car (inside and out)? That would absolutely help us determine a more accurate value...there are guys on this forum that see things in pictures that an average buyer wouldnt see.

Looking at Corvette DNA - it shows a 95 Convt, auto, LT1 motor, w/ under 50k miles in "DRIVER" condition as: $10,000 - then deduct the cost of all the repairs from that...

In "excellent" its valued at: $13,500 (which is aggressive) but something tells me the seller knows its in "DRIVER" condition.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-25-2017, 09:27 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 846 Posts

8-ish maybe 9 if the interior was flawless.

Either way you will buy it and need to drop 2-3k in the car.

We all do.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:03 PM
jpipx
Instructor

Default All great comments

Here are some pictures to help size it up:

What are your thoughts? The color was described to me as being custom from the factory.... Thanks!
Old 02-25-2017, 03:13 PM
jpipx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mayor111
You should look at Corvette DNA - its an app on Apple or Android...to me its the bible of Vette Values...so much more accurate than KBB.

Now a few concerns.

1) What does "custom color" mean? Was the car repainted? If yes, why? If its some off the wall color, it may hurt resale value.

2) If it has a water pump leak - I would not consider it in "excellent" condition. Alot of sellers think that you slap on a nice paint job that shines and your Vette in now considered "excellent"...then you open the door and all the leather is worn or ripped, or you pop the hood and the motor looks like a lego set. If I were you, I would look at "DRIVER" condition values.

3) Can you share pictures of the car (inside and out)? That would absolutely help us determine a more accurate value...there are guys on this forum that see things in pictures that an average buyer wouldnt see.

Looking at Corvette DNA - it shows a 95 Convt, auto, LT1 motor, w/ under 50k miles in "DRIVER" condition as: $10,000 - then deduct the cost of all the repairs from that...

In "excellent" its valued at: $13,500 (which is aggressive) but something tells me the seller knows its in "DRIVER" condition.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the advice, I downloaded the app and it seems great! I also posted some additional pictures so would like your opinion again.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2017, 03:52 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,475 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Sounds like your typical driver quality car. I'd say if vette DNA says 10k, it's probably worth that. Water pump is easy to do, and basically all of these cars need weather stripping at this point. That's the sort of stuff that makes a car a driver car vs a pristine ornexcellent or whatever.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:53 PM
Arctic91
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
2016 C4 of Year Finalist

That was a standard color: Bright Aqua Metallic (paint code 43); Light Grey interior. Car looks clean, though.

Scott
Old 02-25-2017, 04:49 PM
Retxpres
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jpipx
Looking at a 1995 C4 Automatic Convertible, owner listed at $11k. It was described as being "excellent condition", 44k miles, custom turquoise color. Owner describes that he never did anything to it in the past 6 years of ownership, believes he is the second owner.

Closer inspection revealed a leaking water pump which leaves a significant puddle (advised that it not be driven any further so as not to risk the opti), the "check gauges" light is on probably because the fuel gauge is buried in the "reserve" area even though tank is full, weatherstripping needs replacement.

Bushings look good (always garaged), trans fluid clean (no burning smell), oil condition appears reasonable. udders were clear and no signs of water inside cabin. Customary oil seepage around engine... nothing serious. Top is in good condition and the interior is reasonable wear for age. Has dual power seats, ride control, electronic climate control, stock rims.

Northeast region.

What do you think a fair and reasonable price would be?

I've already done calculations based upon repair costs for the items and kbb.com pricing.

Thanks.
I would consider selling mine...
1994 all original, except for wheels, I have the Sawblades boxed
I am the original owner. 38,000 miles. Tires may need to be replaced.
Located on Long Island
631-885-3612

Last edited by Retxpres; 02-25-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:50 PM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Nice looking car. Have you looked at the car and confirmed everything works?

As already said a leaking water pump is not a big deal. Are you saying you cannot test drive it because of the leaking pump? That would be a huge negative for me.

I would not guess and want to know exactly why the check gauges light is on.

If the owner is like me, he is asking 11, hoping for 10, will take 9 but won't turn down an offer of 8500.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:22 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,959 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by divotdug

As already said a leaking water pump is not a big deal. Are you saying you cannot test drive it because of the leaking pump? That would be a huge negative for me.

If the owner is like me, he is asking 11, hoping for 10, will take 9 but won't turn down an offer of 8500.
If you cant test drive the car - WALK AWAY - PERIOD!

Now Im going to be super picky...so bare with me...

So it may be the pictures, but the back trunk area looks like the clear coat has or is starting to fade (again might just be the picture). Also, anyone that takes pictures of a car they are selling from 20 feet away (like that aerial shot) is hiding something...

Also, as one of the other guys said, that is NOT a custom paint job...so to me this guy is trying to sell you more than this car is. Whats he going to say next that the tires are custom because they are made of rubber? LOL

The nose looks like there are some chips (which is normal) but again, doesn't qualify as an "excellent" car.

No pictures of the convertible top UP...(why?)

Lastly - the pictures (conveniently) don't show a full frontage of both seats - that usually means the seller is hiding rips or worn areas on the seat (usually in the side bolsters).

If you do decide to move forward with it...without a doubt run a CarFax just to make sure the mileage is accurate.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:02 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Unless you are in love with the color combo I would pass. Like the other gentlemen said you can plan to spend about 3k working out the worms of a garage queen who has sat around for a long time. I don't understand the prices I am seeing on this forum, in the atl you can get a pristine lt4 for that kinda coin, that car would be lucky to pull 8k with that leaking pump around here. But if you like the color jump cause I don't see those very often.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:09 PM
Lt4-396
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Retxpres
I would consider selling mine...
1994 all original, except for wheels, I have the Sawblades boxed
I am the original owner. 38,000 miles. Tires may need to be replaced.
Located on Long Island
631-885-3612

Very nice car, I see your in suffolk, I'm right off exit 63 on LIE. You ever go to any cruises or shows?
Old 02-25-2017, 09:25 PM
Retxpres
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt4-396
Very nice car, I see your in suffolk, I'm right off exit 63 on LIE. You ever go to any cruises or shows?
Thank you for the compliment. I have owned this car for 23 years. That is crazy!
Once in a while I go down to the OBI parking lot on Sunday mornings. Usually in the Spring.

Last edited by Retxpres; 02-25-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:26 AM
jpipx
Instructor

Originally Posted by divotdug

I did look the car over, the seats are really in much better condition than the pictures show. I believe that the check gauges light is on because the fuel sender is shot, the tank reads 'reserve' even though there is plenty of fuel. I did get a chance to test drive it and it handled well and the engine sounds good. I am comparing this one to my 95 coupe... my wife doesn't like to drive a stick and having a convertible would make a nice pair of C4's. I convinced him not to take it out anymore because of the opti risk...
Old 02-26-2017, 06:28 AM
jpipx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mayor111
If you cant test drive the car - WALK AWAY - PERIOD!

Now Im going to be super picky...so bare with me...

So it may be the pictures, but the back trunk area looks like the clear coat has or is starting to fade (again might just be the picture). Also, anyone that takes pictures of a car they are selling from 20 feet away (like that aerial shot) is hiding something...

Also, as one of the other guys said, that is NOT a custom paint job...so to me this guy is trying to sell you more than this car is. Whats he going to say next that the tires are custom because they are made of rubber? LOL

The nose looks like there are some chips (which is normal) but again, doesn't qualify as an "excellent" car.

No pictures of the convertible top UP...(why?)

Lastly - the pictures (conveniently) don't show a full frontage of both seats - that usually means the seller is hiding rips or worn areas on the seat (usually in the side bolsters).

If you do decide to move forward with it...without a doubt run a CarFax just to make sure the mileage is accurate.
I did a test drive... handles fine. When I checked it out the top was up and there are no tears or breaks. Seats are actually much better than these pictures show. Good idea about the CarFax though. Hadn't thought about that. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:29 AM
jpipx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arctic91
That was a standard color: Bright Aqua Metallic (paint code 43); Light Grey interior. Car looks clean, though.

Scott
I saw that color option, but since I had never seen it I wasn't sure if this was that color. Thanks for the confirmation! Car is clean.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:36 AM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I did look the car over, the seats are really in much better condition than the pictures show. I believe that the check gauges light is on because the fuel sender is shot, the tank reads 'reserve' even though there is plenty of fuel. I did get a chance to test drive it and it handled well and the engine sounds good. I am comparing this one to my 95 coupe... my wife doesn't like to drive a stick and having a convertible would make a nice pair of C4's. I convinced him not to take it out anymore because of the opti risk...
You're looking at $300 for the fuel sending unit. Pulling the fuel pump is an easy DIY. I wish all cars had this design for the fuel system. It's a cake walk not having to drop a fuel tank. Then the water pump is like another $250 for the AC Delco. Original optispark would be sitting in the back of my mind.

I think 11k for this car WITHOUT these problems is fair as convertibles do fetch a premium. A lot of people are going to walk away with these issues. I wouldn't be surprised for a shop to quote 2k to fix it.

Get notified of new replies

To Prospective new purchase price question...

Old 02-26-2017, 07:46 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

I saw that color option, but since I had never seen it I wasn't sure if this was that color. Thanks for the confirmation! Car is clean.
What color is the top? I find the blue on grey very appealing. Not so sure it appeals to everyone.

Since you already have one, you have and idea of the cost of the repairs as well as the value.

The two items you know about, the water pump and fuel sending unit aren't a big deal. I would be concerned as to how long the water pump has been leaking and whether or not there is already any damage to the optispark.

Assuming a clean car fax I would think a good price would be $8-9k......of course my first offer would be $6500.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:41 AM
yd328
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

Good looking car, I like the color combo. Make sure to check the date codes on the tires. Even if they look good old tires need to be replaced. A lot of these cars aren't driven so the tires age before they wear out.

Gary
Old 02-26-2017, 11:48 AM
Weck86
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Post #3 nails it. You can find a better car with less problems for his asking price. Although a vert will take a little longer. You good with wrenches? Planning on the water pump yourself. Also with it leaking do you feel lucky on the original opti? Well do you, lol. As suggested if you can get it for $8500 yes, if not then no.

Quick Reply: Prospective new purchase price question...