Some OEM wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 02:10 PM
cormorant71
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Some OEM wheel questions

Hi Everyone,

I have a few wheel questions associated with the pictures I have attached. First, the mounted wheel is currently on my 89. They are in good shape and I like them. I have a chance to purchase for $200 a set of the 12 slot wheel with the center caps. My first 2 questions are: 1. are they the same size wheel? I looked in my corvette black book and could not get an answer. 2. I need the key to get the center cap off, help with ideas? I dont want to pay $90 for a new key and bolts. I was thinking of cutting a slot in them with a Dremel. Or if anyone has just the key and wants to sell it that would be great too.

Finally if I get the wheels I want to coat them in the black spray on peel coat. Has anyone done this? I have a friend that did it on his Charger and it looks great. I attached a pic of a painted black one as just a little visual.

As always all advice is appreciated. Thank you

C
Attached Images    
Old 02-05-2017, 03:32 PM
corvetteracer72
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi ,

Check the link below - they seem to have the correct info on C4 wheels.

http://www.mirrockcorvette.com/corve...de-wheels.html

It seems that the wheels you want to buy are from an 88/89 (OEM) and will fit yours .

Regarding restoring those you want to buy - the center has to be sanded then powdercoated - I don't think spraying will be a good option - I tried it on several rims and doesn't seem to last.

I wish I could find a set with 200 USD ...
Old 02-05-2017, 04:05 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

If the wheels you've mentioned are truly a set of 4 with 2 RH and 2 LH with no physical damage complete with the caps I'd say you're doing OK - great maybe NOT but if you like then it's all good. I've seen those wheels done in "gloss black" with the flanges polished as they're supposed to be and on a '90 or earlier car looked great with the black b/s moldings.

I nearly did my '90 wheels in black gloss with the earlier black center caps, did A-molds instead.

Perhaps there's some "wiggle" in the $200
Old 02-05-2017, 04:58 PM
cormorant71
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for the info! The ones I am looking at are 2 rights and lefts. the picture i posted was just one i got off line, they are in good shape, maybe even a little better than mine.

The locking center plate is the major issue. I dont want to spend $90 or so...
Old 02-05-2017, 11:47 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

all things considered I would just contact a business that does wheel refinishing, present them with your problem, and see what they have to offer.

Agree about the black peel paint, won't adhere unless you rough up the wheel finish.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:10 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The wheels you want are 1988 wheels and they will be the same size as the wheels you have on your '89.

You might try contacting a local powdercoating shop to see if they can clean up the wheels and then powdercoat the centers (as shown by the black wheel). Another good color might be a dark gunmetal gray like the color of the C7 Z06 wheel.

For that center cap, you could take the wheels to a tire shop and ask if they could remove the lock for the centercaps. Even if they had to bust the lock, you should be able to use a bolt as a replacement.

Get notified of new replies

To Some OEM wheel questions

Quick Reply: Some OEM wheel questions