C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 06:53 PM
petecaballero
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Clutch Question

I have an 86 4+3 that sat for many years. I have recently been doing some work on it getting it back into shape. One thing I noticed is that over the past few months the gears would rub from time to time when I was switching gears. I noticed it started happening more and more and the clutch pedal started to feel very week. Today, I went to start it with the clutch down but the car in reverse like I always start it and the car immediately kicked when the starter engaged. It is like the clutch isn't working any longer.

What should I check for? Is this a result of air in the system or something else? I am not very familiar with clutches so any specific information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2016, 06:56 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Master cylinder fluid level
Old 07-15-2016, 09:09 PM
petecaballero
Pro

Thanks. I checked and the fluid level is right but it is a bit murky. Any other ideas?
Old 07-16-2016, 01:30 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

All the symptoms of a clutch hanging up. Most common cause is in the hydraulic clutch mechanism. First make sure the clutch master cylinder is full. Next up is air in the system. Try to bleed. Several methods on the forum. Finally get a new slave and master cylinder. They are all Chinese crap now so auto zone is as good as any. Install it carefully and you should be ok. This system is prone to periodic maintenance and is critical to transmission health. Particularly the ZD 6. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:35 PM
petecaballero
Pro

Originally Posted by 73n95
All the symptoms of a clutch hanging up. Most common cause is in the hydraulic clutch mechanism. First make sure the clutch master cylinder is full. Next up is air in the system. Try to bleed. Several methods on the forum. Finally get a new slave and master cylinder. They are all Chinese crap now so auto zone is as good as any. Install it carefully and you should be ok. This system is prone to periodic maintenance and is critical to transmission health. Particularly the ZD 6. Good luck.
Thanks. Will look into your suggestions.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Question

Quick Reply: Clutch Question