C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Anyone jump from a C4 to C6??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:54 AM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE
Pictures always help, here's a couple photos of both.

The current:

The candidate (also has a set of z06 replicas to go with it)

Ok it could just be me,But your car looks better than the C6
The following users liked this post:
9T3VETTE (06-24-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 01:16 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I had two C4s; Betty Boop and The Ghost.

Bought a C5Z, and kept other C4s for a while

In late 2014 I started to have demonic thoughts, and in May 2015 I sold Betty Boop to a Forum member

In October 2015 I decided to take one of the biggest calls Ive done in my Gear-Head history, and ordered a C7Z06. Right away I put up the C5Z for sale.

On December 24rd 2015 I drove off the dealer after a 30 day wait for courtesy delivery with my Silver C7Z06 2LT

Took 6 moths for The Stallion to sell

Many have asked me why Did I sell a superior car like a C5 Z16 Z06, and the question is Simple, very SIMPLE

The Ghost is a special Corvette, the C4 is not superior to any C5, C6 or C7, but they are unique, and the C4 feel is the greatest sports car feel you can have. Yes, the Z06 its a beast, it is faster than a fart, it is beautiful, every car guy admire it, and wants it. BUT I still prefer The Ghost's feel.

So OP what I'm trying to tell you is this. The C6 it is a superior car, it's faster, it handles twice as better than a base C4, but you will not be impressed by it's lame look, it's lame interiors.

Its like been married to a blonde model with big *****, and firm ***, BUT she doesn't know how to clean, cook, ring your bell, nor take it up the rear.
thunder1951 (06-26-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 01:21 PM
AllGensAdmirer
Intermediate

Location: Saratoga Springs, New York (Trinity, Florida January through April)
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 4me
Ok it could just be me,But your car looks better than the C6
Just my opinion, but I also agree. I think you might regret parting with the C4. It looks like a beautiful car and, to me, has more 'pop' than the C6 pictured.

If you really want to get the C6, and there's any way you can keep the C4, you may want to consider it. I don't know how much you would get for the C4 anyway.

You can see what my solution to the problem was...

The following 3 users liked this post by AllGensAdmirer:
9T3VETTE (06-24-2016), C5 4me (06-23-2016), jay23ls (06-25-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 01:25 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
I had two C4s; Betty Boop and The Ghost.

Bought a C5Z, and kept other C4s for a while

The Ghost is a special Corvette, the C4 is not superior to any C5, C6 or C7, but they are unique, and the C4 feel is the greatest sports car feel you can have. Yes, the Z06 its a beast, it is faster than a fart, it is beautiful, every car guy admire it, and wants it. BUT I still prefer The Ghost's feel.

So OP what I'm trying to tell you is this. The C6 it is a superior car, it's faster, it handles twice as better than a base C4, but you will not be impressed by it's lame look, it's lame interiors.

Its like been married to a blonde model with big *****, and firm ***, BUT she doesn't know how to clean, cook, ring your bell, nor take it up the rear.
Your summary is exactly what I'm afraid of by moving out of the C4 Thanks for the feedback.

The ultimate solution is to keep both so that's the direction i'd like to go. If that means passing up on the opportunity at hand, so be it.

The other comments about depreciation is really something I hadn't thought of but is a great point. Honestly, i've loved C6 Grandsports since they came out so maybe it's best to wait for them to depreciate more and pull the trigger then.

Decisions, decisions!
Old 06-24-2016, 01:36 PM
maddogwyatt
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I had 2 C6s, '09 Z51 3LT, and a '10 Grand Sport.

For being "the same car" they're incredibly different. My C6s were great cruisers, and wickedly fast. Actually, they were too fast. They were not fun cars to drive as a result, because if you stomp the gas you've got 4-5 seconds of fun before you're speeding anywhere in the country. You can't really "run them through the gears", you're not going to get out of 2nd gear getting onto the highway. The steering is vague and numb and not engaging (not as bad as the C5, but still totally dead compared to a C4). As far as a driving car goes, the C6 is terrible - the C4 is more fun to drive hands down.

Where the C6 shines is touring. It is an amazingly comfortable car, I made several 12 hour trips in both of them and they were great. The AC works great, the stereos are good, the removable roof is a gem to operate, getting in and out is a piece of cake, ad the toys that come with the 3LT are really nice (the steering wheel and seats will move when you start it up and shut it off to make getting in easier, etc.) I had a lot of fun as a young single guy in his mid 20s with those cars, they're a fantastic "take a girl out on a nice date" or "take a vacation to the beach" cars. They're also extremely capable on road courses (which hilariously enough is the only time its fun to drive for more than a handful of seconds), but they're a LOT more car. Good news is, they take all the hard work out of driving them and will fix your screw ups for the most part. The chassis and electronics will bring the hand of god down to save you so quickly I wonder how people manage to crash them.

So, I had both for a while, and I found myself driving my C4 more than my C6 because of how much more fun it was to drive. That's a big reason I didn't mind all that much when I traded my C6 for a nicer daily truck. So that's my personal take on it, the C6 is better in every way, except for the amount of fun it is to drive. But it's better than the C5 in that respect. But if you're looking for a pretty car to take the roof off and go cruising in, it's fantastic, and much better than the C4 in the ease of top operation and comfort to drive.

Not sure what you're expected price on that car is, but that's a $24-25k car or so.
Interesting point. I used to be a car salesman, and my last garage was a BMW dealership. I drove all sorts of fast cars at that time (1990), Porsche 944, 928, Toyota Supra Turbo, Sierra Cosworth, etc etc, and found the same problem - they didn't start to be fun until you were going homicidally fast. I came to the conclusion that they were pretty pointless. You can have more fun in an old Mini or similar (I'm from the UK).
Old 06-24-2016, 03:40 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

I've had my 95 vert for five years now. Used it as a dd for 3 1/2 until I picked up my 08 base coupe. I love them both. They are two different ways to accomplish the same thing. Like two different hammers to drive the same nail. There's about 20 years difference from the newest C4 to the oldest c6. So, aesthetics and drive trains have come a long way. But the biggest thing for me is that the driving experience in the C6 is more sterile then my 95. Less road noise and less noise in general. That's not really a bad thing, but when I get into the 95, I feel like I'm ready to race! Haha. On the interstate , you can't beat the 08, but for fun around short trips and twisties, the 95 is the winner.
My money is on, if you can get and keep both, do. If not, then do what will make you happy. We've all given opinions, but now the ball is in your court.
And really, either way you go, you're a winner. Because a Corvette is just plain awesome in my book.
9T3VETTE (06-24-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 04:05 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Lots of great opinions on this post and from my perspective everyone is dead-on when it comes to comparing the driving experience.

I put 100K on my 95 Z07 and when I got my 04 C5 it was indeed better in every way except one. that one area was the "fun to drive".

The C4 is much more of a sports car, The feel of the road is significantly reduced in the 04.

I've been very lucky in that I've been able to keep both and I'm sure glad that I did. I have no regrets about buying the C5....... but I would have had real regrets if I had given up the C4.

Your experience may differ.
9T3VETTE (06-24-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 04:28 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Originally Posted by sluggballz
I've had my 95 vert for five years now. Used it as a dd for 3 1/2 until I picked up my 08 base coupe. I love them both. They are two different ways to accomplish the same thing. Like two different hammers to drive the same nail. There's about 20 years difference from the newest C4 to the oldest c6. So, aesthetics and drive trains have come a long way. But the biggest thing for me is that the driving experience in the C6 is more sterile then my 95. Less road noise and less noise in general. That's not really a bad thing, but when I get into the 95, I feel like I'm ready to race! Haha. On the interstate , you can't beat the 08, but for fun around short trips and twisties, the 95 is the winner.
My money is on, if you can get and keep both, do. If not, then do what will make you happy. We've all given opinions, but now the ball is in your court.
And really, either way you go, you're a winner. Because a Corvette is just plain awesome in my book.
Great point, I'm happy to even own one at my age. But as we all know that doesn't stop the want for more!

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Lots of great opinions on this post and from my perspective everyone is dead-on when it comes to comparing the driving experience.

I put 100K on my 95 Z07 and when I got my 04 C5 it was indeed better in every way except one. that one area was the "fun to drive".

The C4 is much more of a sports car, The feel of the road is significantly reduced in the 04.

I've been very lucky in that I've been able to keep both and I'm sure glad that I did. I have no regrets about buying the C5....... but I would have had real regrets if I had given up the C4.

Your experience may differ.
IIRC your Z07 has a hotcam...I've long debated putting one in my Z07, and maybe this winter is the time to actually do it. That would keep my interest up in the car until I can manage two in the stable.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:14 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Great point, I'm happy to even own one at my age. But as we all know that doesn't stop the want for more!

IIRC your Z07 has a hotcam...I've long debated putting one in my Z07, and maybe this winter is the time to actually do it. That would keep my interest up in the car until I can manage two in the stable.
Yes, it does and long tube headers and it sounds really nice. For me adding the Yank 3200 was what really made the car get up and go.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:04 AM
jay23ls
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 81 Posts

So uhhh.. I had never driven a C5 or C6 before I drove a C4. Bought the first C4 I drove! haha Guess I lucked out as far as that fun factor and sports feel when I made my choice

Last edited by jay23ls; 06-25-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:33 PM
Katie22
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 70 Posts

I used to own a 93 ruby red. I loved the car. It was comfy but it had one flaw, getting in and out of the car!!!!!!!!!!

I now have a 06 convertible and love the car. It is far easier to get in and out of.......

I am not a hot rod driver so both cars were nice to drive. The c6 is more refines and rides nicer but then my 93 also rode reasonably nice.

Katie
Old 06-25-2016, 10:32 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

[QUOTE=Katie22;1592499730] It was comfy but it had one flaw, getting in and out of the car!!!!!!!!!!

If getting in and out of is only problem with a C4 then you need new seat foam. I replaced mine, a 88, and you would not believe the difference.

Last edited by HAD2HAV2; 06-25-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:46 AM
Katie22
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 70 Posts

Well I dont know about the seat foam. The door sill beam was what I found a pain. The c5 and newer does not have this.

Katie
Old 06-27-2016, 11:08 AM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Well, I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments on here.

After thinking over the weekend and taking a late night cruise Saturday with the top off, i've decided to keep the C4 for now and pursue a newer platform when I have the ability to store 2 Corvettes.

This may seem odd, but my Dad had a mild heart attack over the weekend and I really feel that was a sign from the man above to keep the C4, as it was originally my Dads car.

His attack was mild and he is doing well, so i'm very thankful for that.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:12 AM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Well, I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments on here.

After thinking over the weekend and taking a late night cruise Saturday with the top off, i've decided to keep the C4 for now and pursue a newer platform when I have the ability to store 2 Corvettes.

This may seem odd, but my Dad had a mild heart attack over the weekend and I really feel that was a sign from the man above to keep the C4, as it was originally my Dads car.

His attack was mild and he is doing well, so i'm very thankful for that.
Hope your dad and your family are doing ok Yes if it was his car I would keep it,There will always be more corvettes,But only 1 that came from your dad.
9T3VETTE (06-28-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 01:37 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 619 Likes on 497 Posts

Glad your dad is doing OK Going for cruises with the targa off at night does things to you.
9T3VETTE (06-28-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 02:07 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

The car is a 2006 Z51/3LT/M6/LS2 with less than 30,000 miles, super clean.

Anyone have experience going to a C6 and what are you thoughts?
I do. I STARTED, with virtually that same car; mine was an '06, Z51, 6 speed, but a 1LT. I now have a '92 and don't miss the '06 at all. I thought it was over all, a very boring car to drive, and it was loaded with irritating features. I can go into more detail about those if you're interested, but the biggest thing was the car was just not cool/fun/exciting to drive around on the street. It didn't feel powerful, or inspired in any way. Now on the TRACK, at 9/10's...then and only then, it was FUN. On the street, though, it just was totally blase'.
9T3VETTE (06-28-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 05:15 PM
Mavrick1
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow great feedback from everyone, thank you. It's interesting to hear feedback from owners who went back to a C4, I wasn't expecting that.

I have spent some time in the car as the owner is a family member, and can agree to a combination of what everyone chimed in about.

Compared to the C4, i'd say it's a bit numb in the handling department. One of things which I love about the C4 is how you actually have to drive the car as the steering will pull you around if you not careful. Combine that with the effort it takes to operate the clutch and the car feels so connected with the road. The downside of the C4 is obvious as it's getting old and requiring more attention and time. With a full time job and grad shcool it's getting hard to give it the attention it deserves.

The LS2 powertrain is fantastic and I really do like the looks of the C6, along with the modern comforts. Last year we took our Corvettes to an open track day and I was able to get about 10 laps in the C6 which made me fall in love with the powertrain, other than the electronic throttle. Ideally it would be an LS3 car/Grand Sport or better, but my budget isn't that ideal

This decision is very tough for me, i've had alot of memories in my C4. The car was my dads before which he bought in 96, and i've owned it since 2010. I went to high school prom in it, took my wife on our first date in it, etc.

I inherited a 1990 C4 in 1993 from my Dad. I recently bought a 2011 GS Auto (both cars are automatic). I have owned at least a hundred cars in my lifetime and This Grand Sport is my all time favorite. The C4 is very special to me and it will be passed on to my child. There is really no comparison between the two. Drive the one that YOU want.
9T3VETTE (06-28-2016)

Quick Reply: Anyone jump from a C4 to C6??