C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Digital Dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 02:46 PM
James84vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Digital Dash

Bought the car with a regular analog dash someone else put in. I'd like to go back to the original digital dash. Any suggestions on where I should start looking. I have tired ebay, they want about 300usd plus Id have to pay 100 for shipping and since I don't have a core it would be another 120usd. I live in Ontario so with the exchange I'm looking at roughly 700 CAD for one.

Just checking to see if there would be a cheaper option.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:25 PM
barbedwiredave
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by James84vette
Bought the car with a regular analog dash someone else put in. I'd like to go back to the original digital dash. Any suggestions on where I should start looking. I have tired ebay, they want about 300usd plus Id have to pay 100 for shipping and since I don't have a core it would be another 120usd. I live in Ontario so with the exchange I'm looking at roughly 700 CAD for one.

Any pictures of the analog dash? I might be interested in buying it if you switch.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:26 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

I believe that first you confirm that the connector for the dash is still intact and hasn't been "whacked on". Does the cluster now use the OE bezel or what? I don't believe you rush. Is this your first or have you had other early C4's?
Old 06-21-2016, 03:33 PM
James84vette
Instructor

Here is what I currently have in the car.
The following users liked this post:
barbedwiredave (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 03:34 PM
James84vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I believe that first you confirm that the connector for the dash is still intact and hasn't been "whacked on". Does the cluster now use the OE bezel or what? I don't believe you rush. Is this your first or have you had other early C4's?

First year of the digital dash '84.

I'll try and take off the cover and see what is behind there. Thanks.

Last edited by James84vette; 06-21-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:37 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I don't have much to contribute to the thread except it actually is pretty dang cool. Has that "old school" look. When we get a car next year, I will be swapping the dash out to an analog. I want to recreate "the look" of the '65 I had.

Plus, once you have had that conversion, if you lose a gauge, it is less expensive than getting a digital dash repaired (I would imagine) and you can do the repair yourself by swapping out the bad gauge.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:44 PM
James84vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by drcook
I don't have much to contribute to the thread except it actually is pretty dang cool. Has that "old school" look. When we get a car next year, I will be swapping the dash out to an analog. I want to recreate "the look" of the '65 I had.

Plus, once you have had that conversion, if you lose a gauge, it is less expensive than getting a digital dash repaired (I would imagine) and you can do the repair yourself by swapping out the bad gauge.

Good point. It's got a cool look at night. I'll take a picture next time I drive it at night.

I had a digital dash in my '88 Trans Am and always liked it. Never had any issues other than the RPM gage fading out only when it was really hot and my T-tops were off.

Last edited by James84vette; 06-21-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:53 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Bryan at Batee.com is an awesome guy to work with, he fixed all the problems with my dash and responded to my emails and questions concerning it extremely well, would definately reccomend him. Check out my thread if you wanna see how well it came out.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:17 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Marshall does some really nice stuff and I'd think the cluster you have is a very well thought out "creation". I'd be very reluctant to remove it. A couple reasons why, well I mentioned needing to make sure the cluster connectors are intact and functional, that requires dismantling what's there and I don't know that I'd want to do that unless I really had to.

At "key-on" does the fuel meter park appropriately? Have you confirned KPH/MPH with a GPS?

Here's some info on the gauge packs that were used. Really nice stuff - I'd leave it the "he!! alone" BUT if you do chose to pass it on head it towards "barbedwiredave" - then it will be close enough that I could check it out.

http://www.marshallinstruments.com/index.cfm
Old 06-22-2016, 02:23 PM
James84vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Marshall does some really nice stuff and I'd think the cluster you have is a very well thought out "creation". I'd be very reluctant to remove it. A couple reasons why, well I mentioned needing to make sure the cluster connectors are intact and functional, that requires dismantling what's there and I don't know that I'd want to do that unless I really had to.

At "key-on" does the fuel meter park appropriately? Have you confirned KPH/MPH with a GPS?

Here's some info on the gauge packs that were used. Really nice stuff - I'd leave it the "he!! alone" BUT if you do chose to pass it on head it towards "barbedwiredave" - then it will be close enough that I could check it out.

http://www.marshallinstruments.com/index.cfm

With the key on the fuel meter shows it a little lower. I've gps'd the km's and it was almost bang on.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:11 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

There's a saying "Leave Well Enough Alone". Don't know if this applies here or not. If you want to check further, as WVZR-1 said there are concerns, the replacement may be a plug-and-play or it could have been a cut-and-solder job or a total hack job to the wiring. If you're into it, carefully pull the instrument panel and see what you have going on behind there. On a side note, IIRC I read where the original cluster was different than the later Atari dashes so it may not be the easiest thing finding an original replacement if that's true.

Good luck whatever you do.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:15 PM
James84vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by hcbph
There's a saying "Leave Well Enough Alone". Don't know if this applies here or not. If you want to check further, as WVZR-1 said there are concerns, the replacement may be a plug-and-play or it could have been a cut-and-solder job or a total hack job to the wiring. If you're into it, carefully pull the instrument panel and see what you have going on behind there. On a side note, IIRC I read where the original cluster was different than the later Atari dashes so it may not be the easiest thing finding an original replacement if that's true.

Good luck whatever you do.

Thanks. After pricing out some replacement digital dashes( don't have a core) I'd be spending close to $800 CAD. I'd rather sink that money into some bolt on HP. My car has no mods.

Last edited by James84vette; 06-22-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:09 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks. After pricing out some replacement digital dashes( don't have a core) I'd be spending close to $800 CAD. I'd rather sink that money into some bolt on HP. My car has no mods.
I think you made the right choice, the Vegas-at-Night digital dash can be a real pain when it acts up and you appear to have a good conversion to analog in place. More power is always good!
Old 06-23-2016, 08:18 PM
pezter22
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a Vettaid analog gauge package in my '84. There's some things you need to consider if putting it back to stock.

I'm unsure if your set up is the same. The DIC (Driver Information Center) on the center portion of the dash is removed as part of the kit. If it's missing, that's another thing to find on ebay too. Also the oil pressure sending unit is changed for the analog gauge.

http://vettaid.com/ReplacementGauges...ePackages.aspx

You could contact them for instructions to see how or what you need to reverse the install.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:41 AM
James84vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by pezter22
I have a Vettaid analog gauge package in my '84. There's some things you need to consider if putting it back to stock.

I'm unsure if your set up is the same. The DIC (Driver Information Center) on the center portion of the dash is removed as part of the kit. If it's missing, that's another thing to find on ebay too. Also the oil pressure sending unit is changed for the analog gauge.

You could contact them for instructions to see how or what you need to reverse the install.

Thanks for that.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:42 AM
James84vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by pezter22

That's right. I'm thinking of starting with the easy bolt ons. K & N filter and headers.

Get notified of new replies

To Digital Dash

Quick Reply: Digital Dash