C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Oil mishap

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 06:25 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 207 Posts

Default Oil mishap

I changed the oil in my all-stock '86 on Friday. Spinning the new filter on, it did not go on quite right the first time. I backed it off and started again. Still felt funny, but I chalked it up to paranoia. It spun on OK but did not seem to give me that nice, easy twist at the end.

I fired the car up and watched the pressure gauge, as I always do. It ran for perhaps 2 seconds, I did not see it come up. Shut it off, waited a second, and fired it again. Again, no pressure. With a sick realization, I looked under to see oil pouring from the filter.

Now, apparently something was amiss with this filter. I yanked it of and replaced it with another AC Delco PF1218. Then refilled with oil (and cleaned up a hideous mess, don't ask).

My question is, is there any chance I hurt the engine? I doubt it very highly, as it literally ran for a couple of seconds each time, there was no noise at all, and after the refill, the oil pressure was right where it has always been.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:49 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 555 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoBob
I changed the oil in my all-stock '86 on Friday. Spinning the new filter on, it did not go on quite right the first time. I backed it off and started again. Still felt funny, but I chalked it up to paranoia. It spun on OK but did not seem to give me that nice, easy twist at the end.

I fired the car up and watched the pressure gauge, as I always do. It ran for perhaps 2 seconds, I did not see it come up. Shut it off, waited a second, and fired it again. Again, no pressure. With a sick realization, I looked under to see oil pouring from the filter.

Now, apparently something was amiss with this filter. I yanked it of and replaced it with another AC Delco PF1218. Then refilled with oil (and cleaned up a hideous mess, don't ask).

My question is, is there any chance I hurt the engine? I doubt it very highly, as it literally ran for a couple of seconds each time, there was no noise at all, and after the refill, the oil pressure was right where it has always been.
None at all
Old 05-31-2016, 06:52 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Good practice to always compare what you take off to what you are about to put on.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:33 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Gave it a good flushing.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:34 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Its super unlikely you did any damage. I would worry about this for one more second, then I would forget about it forever.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:12 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys. I learned two lessons after thirty years of changing oil;

1) put the pan under the filter when you fire up the car for the first time

2) if it doesn't feel right, it isn't.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:27 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,965 Posts

Is there a chance you hurt the engine with 2-5 seconds of running? Absolutely. About the same chance as me winning the lottery. Both are possible but not probable.

Still, why did it fawk up the first time? Cross thread?
Old 05-31-2016, 11:34 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,652 Posts

The mess is the biggest problem not the momentary loss of oil pressure. Engine should be fine. The clean up that's another story altogether.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:07 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by aklim
Is there a chance you hurt the engine with 2-5 seconds of running? Absolutely. About the same chance as me winning the lottery. Both are possible but not probable.

The bad filter is in the garage, I intend to look closely at it. I know it was not cross threaded, but it seemed to not spin on enough revolutions. I think it was either a distorted base or a bad thread. In the ensuing mess all I cared about was getting the car back to normal. The second new filter went on perfectly.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:17 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
None at all
Originally Posted by Amotoxracer
Its super unlikely you did any damage. I would worry about this for one more second, then I would forget about it forever.

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
The mess is the biggest problem not the momentary loss of oil pressure. Engine should be fine. The clean up that's another story altogether.
X4 - not to worry!

check for a double gasket, or maybe a missing filter gasket. once I removed a filter, and the filter gasket stayed with the engine (cheap filter from one of those quickie lube places). installed the new filter, and essentially had a double gasket. fortunately, I caught it in time.

Last edited by Joe C; 06-01-2016 at 02:21 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:24 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

I think we had a double gasket. Odd that I could have not noticed this, I always ring the new gasket with oil. But nothing else makes sense. I have three filter gaskets and two filters.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:45 AM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Back in the day (1960's) when the filter was in a canister, the seal came as a separate piece. It was inserted into a channel in the engine block. The old one usually stuck and had to be dug out but the new one frequently slipped as you screwed the canister back on, cutting the gasket. Because it was up, under the backside of the engine it was difficult to see. I recall several instances where the job had to be repeated. The new spin on's with the gasket crimped on are a Godsend from this regard. Some of the new engines, like the Ecotec from GM have brought back the cartridge style filter, supposedly for "eco" reasons. The canister is now on the engine top side making changing filters much easier. The gasket is an O ring in the plastic cap. It seems to work fine. For some reason the filter is twice as expensive even though there is no can. Go figure. I'm particularly fond of the new extended service oils. Where it seemed like I was constantly changing oil in something every week, now the 10,000 miles OCI makes it a rarity.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
X4 - not to worry!

check for a double gasket, or maybe a missing filter gasket. once I removed a filter, and the filter gasket stayed with the engine (cheap filter from one of those quickie lube places). installed the new filter, and essentially had a double gasket. fortunately, I caught it in time.
Yup, it's happened to me...
(Known issue with certain year and model Hondas that Honda did a recall on the filters.)

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 06-01-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:48 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

A few things I do: always wipe oil off oil filter pad. Compare oil filter bases the hole that threads on and seal. I actually will place new filter on old one to make sure oil film matches new seal. I have caught some mispackaged filters and stuck seals that way.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:14 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

You didnt hurt a thing, run it

Think a few of us forgot to ck for the old seal to see if its stuck in the block
Get better at checking or cleaning up messes but getting better nonetheless.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:20 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,965 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
You didnt hurt a thing, run it

Think a few of us forgot to ck for the old seal to see if its stuck in the block
Get better at checking or cleaning up messes but getting better nonetheless.
On second thought, maybe he did hurt something and it needs a special blend of additives that I made in my basement last week. Since he is a forum member, $99.99 for a 12 oz bottle. Act now and we will throw in a 2nd bottle for half price plus shipping and handling. Time is limited since we can't do this all day long.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:49 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

On second thought, maybe he did hurt something and it needs a special blend of additives that I made in my basement last week. Since he is a forum member, $99.99 for a 12 oz bottle. Act now and we will throw in a 2nd bottle for half price plus shipping and handling. Time is limited since we can't do this all day long.

I don't have time to pm you so I will just leave my cc number and address here. Do you need my SSN for verification?

Get notified of new replies

To Oil mishap

Old 06-01-2016, 09:53 PM
peyc2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

We wil also need your DOB and mothers madein name, we wil take fathers middle name if mom not available.

Had similar filter issue once, as a duffus I had 2 seals on. Doesn't work out to good, looked like the Exon Valdez came aground. As I recall my parents were pretty pissued as I did it on a new concrete driveway. Oops
Old 06-01-2016, 10:05 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

When you start an engine it does not have oil anyways. The pump has to pump first. The parts are made to wear, they are sensitive, but not fragile. It had oil it's fine. Honestly you could run it miles depending on the situation or more and it would run. it's not good for it but you won't ruin it necessarily. OF COURSE I AM NOT CONDONING THIS, just making a point.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:14 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pologreen1
When you start an engine it does not have oil anyways. The pump has to pump first. The parts are made to wear, they are sensitive, but not fragile. It had oil it's fine. Honestly you could run it miles depending on the situation or more and it would run. it's not good for it but you won't ruin it necessarily. OF COURSE I AM NOT CONDONING THIS, just making a point.
I feel much better now. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Oil mishap