C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Opti- Spark (1992)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 02:16 PM
Steve.in.Roanoke
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opti- Spark (1992)

Just had my opti-spark replaced again. Symptoms were the engine would die whenever it chose to. Originally started right back up, but as it got worse, the re-start became more & more difficult.

My question is: When mechanic ordered part according to my vin, he received the wrong unit (no shaft) They ended up getting an opti-spark for a twin overhead cam engine & that was correct.

Any thoughts why?
Old 04-05-2016, 02:29 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve.in.Roanoke
Just had my opti-spark replaced again. Symptoms were the engine would die whenever it chose to. Originally started right back up, but as it got worse, the re-start became more & more difficult.

My question is: When mechanic ordered part according to my vin, he received the wrong unit (no shaft) They ended up getting an opti-spark for a twin overhead cam engine & that was correct.

Any thoughts why?
Well - I'd say it was just a catalog error by the AP store where it was ordered. It would be interesting maybe if you had both of the part #'s that were ordered/received and from who. A DOHC LT5 doesn't have a shaft-driven distributor of any type. OR there's a story being told to you!!
Old 04-05-2016, 05:40 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,979 Likes on 4,799 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

somethings not right. there is only two opti a non vented 92-94 and a vented 95-97.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:56 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Our Dodge Stealth RT/TT (remember those?) had an "Opti"...and DOHC....but no way would that one, fit and work or be "correct" on a Chevy motor. That Mitsubishi motor was the only DOHC motor that I'm aware of that had an "Opti".
Old 04-06-2016, 02:29 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Our Dodge Stealth RT/TT (remember those?) had an "Opti"...and DOHC....but no way would that one, fit and work or be "correct" on a Chevy motor. That Mitsubishi motor was the only DOHC motor that I'm aware of that had an "Opti".
I remember them well. I had a couple friends who had several. The Mitsubishi "optical sensor" theoretically is modified by many for other than applications using the optical - it was used on many early/mid '90s other than the 3000/Stealth RT.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:30 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve.in.Roanoke

Any thoughts why?
My thoughts are they felt compelled to tell you something besides the truth. Probably because if you knew the truth they would be very embarrassed. I wouldn't let it bother you though as long as the car runs properly when you get it back and they charge whatever they quoted.

Get notified of new replies

To Opti- Spark (1992)

Quick Reply: Opti- Spark (1992)