C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

The only place for honest answers

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 06:32 PM
nypearson
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Default The only place for honest answers

So my flywheel went, funny since everyone talks about the optispark. Turns out they don't make dual mass flywhees for our year vettes anymore. Cliffs- should I trust a used flywheel from someone I don't know and any suggestions. P.S. the original mechanic I brought it too has already cost me a grand with the result being my tranny sitting in my hatchback and having it towed home.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:52 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I thought that back in 2009.

An honest comment is this; Do extended research. I did it few years ago, and it paid off.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...heel-itch.html

Do all you can because if you install a regular flywheel you will regret it.

Last edited by PLRX; 03-16-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:15 PM
nypearson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PLRX

An honest comment is this; Do extended research. I did it few years ago, and it paid off.

I have heard and read that too, the conversion sucks. For an iconic car learning this has really been a surprise. I'm going to buy the used one and then sell it. One question I have is how a lot of people track these cars plus all the secondary ownership, yet no manufacturer sees a market for this critical part?
Old 03-16-2016, 07:18 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by nypearson
So my flywheel went, funny since everyone talks about the optispark. Turns out they don't make dual mass flywhees for our year vettes anymore. Cliffs- should I trust a used flywheel from someone I don't know and any suggestions. P.S. the original mechanic I brought it too has already cost me a grand with the result being my tranny sitting in my hatchback and having it towed home.
Just curious, what drive-ability issues did you have with the bad flywheel?

Did the car not start?
Old 03-16-2016, 07:30 PM
nypearson
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AgentEran
Just curious, what drive-ability issues did you have with the bad flywheel?

Did the car not start?
Car started, noticed a leak and difficulty shiffting. brought to my mechanic who is no longer my mechanic.he originally said clutch but after two weeks said he couldn't fix it. Said he brought in a Corvette guy who told him it was the flywheel and I was screwed. Pisses me off, not just the money $1000+ and sitting in my garage, but I really enjoyed that car.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:35 PM
nypearson
Burning Brakes

PLRX rock auto only sells conversions now, thanks anyway. I'm thinking my only route is used. P.S. maybe someone wants to post this in o.t. I'm feeling a little masochistic.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:49 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

PLRX rock auto only sells conversions now, thanks anyway. I'm thinking my only route is used. P.S. maybe someone wants to post this in o.t. I'm feeling a little masochistic.
The dual mass FW were designed to quiet the transmission gear rattle resulting from engine pulses - especially if the engine is "cammed".

Well, those of us moving to a light weight Fidanza single mass have found some relief after switching to a sprung hub disc AND bumping the idle up 100-150 rpm or so. Is there a little rattle when idling? Yeah, some; depending on the transmission oil used too.

FWIW, the owner(?) of RAM CLUTCH is going to be at Bowling Green at the C4 gathering in May to give a talk re converting from the stock C4 clutch to the RAM alternative.

Something has me scratching my head tho... Something was leaking...presumably from the bell housing...and you mechanic says your FW is kaput?? I believe Jim Jandik can referbish the dual mass FW for you (ask).

Don't know if this helps. It is a damn shame your "mechanic" left you in a tight like that AND charged you to boot!!! (I knew there was some reason I do my own wrenching!!!!)
Old 03-17-2016, 01:57 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Did you talk to them or visited their website?

I did that, but I called them. They didn't know they sold that thing.

There is out there for you, FIND IT.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:08 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX

there's like a zillion threads on this very issue, some say yea, some say nay. Speaking from my own experience, a Spec 22 lb billet steel flywheel (not a 13 pound aluminum flywheel) with a Spec Stage Three Plus clutch is an awesome combination and I am very satisfied.

If noise or drivability is of paramount importance, the option of installing a heavier flywheel (similar in weight to the oem dual mass flywheel) is also a possibility; as is a shim kit to further dampen any remaining first gear rattle .
Old 03-17-2016, 07:13 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Jim at power torque can get the DM flywheels resurfaced and correctly. I had mine done recently. In fact mine has been done twice! As he came to find out. So far so good on this unit.

My car has had 3 clutches. The 2nd one was in the car when I bought it and over half wore out at 49K. I put another 20K on it before it finally gave up the ghost but those where HARD miles. I think the previous owners could not drive stick if I had to guess.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:21 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

If there was a leak from your bellhousing, it very well can be from the DMF as they did have some kind of oil in them somewhere. Not sure what the purpose of it was but I have heard of them leaking some kind of 'oil' when the rubber seals go bad.
Switching to a single mass requires them to be "Match Balanced" to the old one. If the old one is damaged though I don't know how that can be done. Why the balance is such a problem is crazy. My single mass STILL vibrates! I've got to pull that damn thing out AGAIN!

Get notified of new replies

To The only place for honest answers

Quick Reply: The only place for honest answers