C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

replacing transmission mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:48 AM
kdtomczak
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default replacing transmission mount

For '93 manual. I have a mechanic friend who does most of my repairs. He tells me to get the part. I can't seem to find one to buy. Or if I do, it doesn't say if it's for a manual or automatic. I don't even know if there would be a difference. Can someone point me to one to buy online?
Old 08-10-2015, 09:49 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by kdtomczak
For '93 manual. I have a mechanic friend who does most of my repairs. He tells me to get the part. I can't seem to find one to buy. Or if I do, it doesn't say if it's for a manual or automatic. I don't even know if there would be a difference. Can someone point me to one to buy online?
There isn't a transmission mount for your '93 like your mechanic is mentioning.

Is your problem the shifter lifting inside the car?

Ask your friend to check the C-beam mounts at the transmission and also the differential and go from there regarding potential repair. It needs looked at first with maybe the intention of tightening the C-beam bolts while there the first time.

Show your mechanic friend the image in this post and he'll understand I believe. Two bolts rear at transmission and two more on the forward section of the differential housing:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1583157397

There's product available to spread the compression of the bolts some and it's considered by some to be a "requirement" when you experience what you mention. I don't believe it's a requirement unless you maybe use your car in maybe something other fashion than just a "driver".

Search the forum for "beam plates" OR just wait and someone will post and mention them being a "requirement".

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-10-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:04 AM
kdtomczak
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
There isn't a transmission mount for your '93 like your mechanic is mentioning.

Is your problem the shifter lifting inside the car?

Ask your friend to check the C-beam mounts at the transmission and also the differential and go from there regarding potential repair. It needs looked at first with maybe the intention of tightening the C-beam bolts while there the first time.

Show your mechanic friend the image in this post and he'll understand I believe. Two bolts rear at transmission and two more on the forward section of the differential housing:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1583157397

There's product available to spread the compression of the bolts some and it's considered by some to be a "requirement" when you experience what you mention. I don't believe it's a requirement unless you maybe use your car in maybe something other fashion than just a "driver".

Search the forum for "beam plates" OR just wait and someone will post and mention them being a "requirement".
Yes, the problem is the shifter jumping up. Also some extra vibration when going from stop to 1st gear or really whenever i'm in a gear that may be to high for speed i'm going.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:38 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

ultimately, you may have to pull the c beam and examine the mounting holes to see if they've become worn oversize; if so, the c beam will need to be repaired or replaced; tightening the mounting bolts; even with beam plates can only accomplish just so much;

also, be aware that the factory also used an adhesive when mounting the c beam to the trans and differential
Old 08-10-2015, 05:11 PM
littlesk8cracker
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

my 94 did the same thing when I bought it, I just tightened the cbeam bolts and problem solved. later down the road I added beam plates at the same time as zfdoc's short shifter, cant really tell if the plates did anything but shifter feels nice and solid
Old 08-11-2015, 07:56 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

was he pulling your leg? This sounds like "piston return springs", muffler bearing, a bucket of rotor wash, 500 feet of flight line, ect.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:57 AM
kdtomczak
Instructor

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
was he pulling your leg? This sounds like "piston return springs", muffler bearing, a bucket of rotor wash, 500 feet of flight line, ect.
haha i don't think so. He may not know the specifics for this vehicle. I will show him this thread, though, so he can help.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:02 AM
kdtomczak
Instructor

Originally Posted by kdtomczak
haha i don't think so. He may not know the specifics for this vehicle. I will show him this thread, though, so he can help.
well i just showed him this. and he said "oh shoot that's right, they are transaxle cars." It's always a different language to me. He's going to check out the cbeam bolts and i'll let you guys know from there.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:08 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Noooo, they're not "trasnaxle cars". Transmission is right behind the engine....diff is in the rear.

Show him these pics. They should explain it pretty well....

Get notified of new replies

To replacing transmission mount

Quick Reply: replacing transmission mount