Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Do People Like to Screw With Corvettes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 03:53 PM
rad928music
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it happens in all kinds of cars.
Maybe a little bit more in Corvettes.
Most people are not into cars, They are just transportation to them.
They are not car guys and cant understand why someone would drive a Corvette or a Classic car, Sports car, Muscle Car et...
I remember a lady cut in front of me and after driving in front of me slow in the Fast lane, slammed on the brakes!
I went around her, but I don't know what happened to the car behind me..
I don't tailgate for that reason.
If I see someone tailgating me I just move over and let them pass.
If someone is passes me and drives slow in front of me on purpose, I slow down, until there gone.
I also ignore people that seem to want my attention to f with me.
Now I have a LOUD exhaust and it keeps the electric cars away .
Don't let people upset you or play there dangerous games and its allot more fun driving now.
Always stay alert and away from retards.

Last edited by rad928music; 07-20-2015 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 07-20-2015, 05:46 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 637 Likes on 493 Posts

I think there are a lot of bad drivers. Many are inattentive to what they are doing.

I used to have a daily commute that would take me about 40 miles from Scottsdale to Mesa and I would go by way of the "scenic" route out past Fountain Hills and in on the Bush highway past Saguaro Lake.

I found that when I behaved and passed people at a moderate pace, they would speed up. However, when I had a chance to pass, if I did it with a lot of throttle, they wouldn't change speed and I could go past easily. I got into the habit of passing "briskly" and still do.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Mishawaka
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've running into the same thing the last week or two. New Indiana law, if someone is in the passing lane and they won't get out of the way they can be ticketed and apparently speeding is not a factor.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:44 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960
This is ridiculous do you know the meaning of defensive driving? If you drive on the `aggressive side` you really need to drive defensively even more.
Well obviously I'm doing something right if hardly anybody is messing with me.

If you drive defensively here in NJ, you get taken advantage of.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:06 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When I had the Z28 I wrecked I drove defensive, and had to deal with all the same thing the OP has mentioned.

I drive aggressively now, and the only car that has done anything was a C5.

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
Well obviously I'm doing something right if hardly anybody is messing with me.

If you drive defensively here in NJ, you get taken advantage of.
Same thing here. If anyone follows the 2 second rule there is enough space in front of them for a car, and it will be taken by someone.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:39 PM
1994DelawareCoup
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah everyone wants to race the vette. Traded my harley for the c4 because I was tired of getting cut off every time I took her out. To old for that crap. I drive 100 miles a day on the interstate and love nothing more than eating a rice burner at 80 mph. They can take me off the line cause I don't even try but once they get up to 80 the 4 cylinder does not have much left. Me I'm just getting started.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:57 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyowner
When I had the Z28 I wrecked I drove defensive, and had to deal with all the same thing the OP has mentioned.

I drive aggressively now, and the only car that has done anything was a C5.

Same thing here. If anyone follows the 2 second rule there is enough space in front of them for a car, and it will be taken by someone.
You mean the 2/4 second rule.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:30 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

I just laugh when a ricer or a cuzz tries to start something with me...I have nothing to prove or have any interest in a pissing contest...
Old 07-21-2015, 05:50 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ToniJ1960
You mean the 2/4 second rule.
If you know what is meant why pick on it, wait I don't want to know.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:01 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 564 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by rad928music
I think it happens in all kinds of cars.
Maybe a little bit more in Corvettes.
Most people are not into cars, They are just transportation to them.
They are not car guys and cant understand why someone would drive a Corvette or a Classic car, Sports car, Muscle Car et...
I remember a lady cut in front of me and after driving in front of me slow in the Fast lane, slammed on the brakes!
I went around her, but I don't know what happened to the car behind me..
I don't tailgate for that reason.
If I see someone tailgating me I just move over and let them pass.
If someone is passes me and drives slow in front of me on purpose, I slow down, until there gone.
I also ignore people that seem to want my attention to f with me.
Now I have a LOUD exhaust and it keeps the electric cars away .
Don't let people upset you or play there dangerous games and its allot more fun driving now.
Always stay alert and away from retards.
Move over when you can, but you cAnt always move over for a tailgater on today's congested, heavy truck traffic highways
Old 07-21-2015, 09:31 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Bad drivers are bad drivers. They are going to be there no matter what we are driving. I spot them a mile away and just do my best to get as far away as possible. If theyre behind me ill just let them pass so they can rear end someone else.
As far as getting messed with just because Im driving a corvette, just people that want to race. A couple funny ones come to mind. First, when I was test driving mine a WRX was up my ****. My wife was saying whats his problem? I said he wanted to race because we are in a vette. Second, some old guy in a z71 pickup kept wanting to race me light to light. He kept looking over and punching it every green. I just smiled and admired his enthusiasm.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:33 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dt86
Bad drivers are bad drivers. They are going to be there no matter what we are driving. I spot them a mile away and just do my best to get as far away as possible. If theyre behind me ill just let them pass so they can rear end someone else.
As far as getting messed with just because Im driving a corvette, just people that want to race. A couple funny ones come to mind. First, when I was test driving mine a WRX was up my ****. My wife was saying whats his problem? I said he wanted to race because we are in a vette. Second, some old guy in a z71 pickup kept wanting to race me light to light. He kept looking over and punching it every green. I just smiled and admired his enthusiasm.
LOL this reminds me, once I was just cruising along and some tool in a ~1996-ish V6 dodge ram 5 spd w/ a big old tach on the tash kept mean mugging me trying to race me. I did goose it real briefly; enough for him to downshift and grind his gears and for me to laugh at him
Old 07-21-2015, 10:07 AM
rocknroller
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never had any issues with other drivers while I was in my Corvette.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:37 PM
Went
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
I think you see more of that in cities than one does in more rural situations. Small size too I think fools some people's depth perception maybe. I think that has more to do with the number of "tights" than belligerence, tho some of that does happen too!

I swear, there is nothing like riding motorcycles for developing a "sixth sense" about defensive driving. Eventually, bikers learn to never let any driver put them in a situation they can't control or have an out (as much as possible). I feel those years on motorcycles served me well; never lost that "sixth sense" about other drivers.
I completely agree. Riding nearly full time for fifteen years forever changed how I look at other drivers.

Went
Old 07-22-2015, 01:07 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
I swear, there is nothing like riding motorcycles for developing a "sixth sense" about defensive driving. Eventually, bikers learn to never let any driver put them in a situation they can't control or have an out (as much as possible). I feel those years on motorcycles served me well; never lost that "sixth sense" about other drivers.

It's interesting that you just know what other drivers are going to do. I think they leave little signs (like edging over in their lane before changing lanes).

I had an interesting one on my bike many years ago. A lady was trying to make a left turn out of a side street and was looking to her right for a clear spot in the traffic (two lanes in each direction with a left turn lane in the middle). I slowed down because I just knew she didn't see me at all and she pulled out and stopped, blocking my lane. I rolled up to her door and stopped a few inches away. It really scared her when she looked to her left and saw me right there.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:34 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't know how you bikers do it. There's riders getting killed around here all the time. Several years ago there were 4 killed in 3 accidents in a one month period within 3 miles of my house. That quelled any thoughts I might have had about getting one.

Rick
Old 07-22-2015, 08:57 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 637 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
:....I had an interesting one on my bike many years ago. A lady was trying to make a left turn out of a side street and was looking to her right for a clear spot in the traffic (two lanes in each direction with a left turn lane in the middle). I slowed down because I just knew she didn't see me at all and she pulled out and stopped, blocking my lane. I rolled up to her door and stopped a few inches away. It really scared her when she looked to her left and saw me right there.
I had bikes for years too. You do learn to recognize other drivers intentions.

I had nearly the same experience as your example, except I was in the car, and came sliding to a stop next to her door. Her look of panic was priceless.

Get notified of new replies

To Do People Like to Screw With Corvettes?

Old 07-22-2015, 09:50 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
I don't know how you bikers do it. There's riders getting killed around here all the time. Several years ago there were 4 killed in 3 accidents in a one month period within 3 miles of my house. That quelled any thoughts I might have had about getting one.

Rick
That's how I ended up getting my Corvette...I told the wife I was getting a Harley Softail from a guy in town, she begged me not to get another bike since her brother just had an accident a few months earlier on his...She suggested getting a sports car instead, 2 weeks later I got my Vette... This got me thinking, maybe I could use this same strategy when I wanted to get other toys, (You know) ask for something outrageous, then settle for what I really wanted anyway....This could work...........WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-22-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:52 AM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

my vette driving experience in NY. So far respectful. But mostly challenged by Dodge diesel truck's?? almost all new cars. They all must think I have a 80's series. I have only tested real cars to gauge my tune. The funniest was a young lady in a newer BMW 3 series. Speeding up twice to ride my bumper in a 40 zone. So I crack the throttle put it sideways. So she sticks her arm out of the window to flip me off?????
Old 07-22-2015, 01:54 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

you guys should be in my tractor trailer with me. Happens all the time, many, many times during the day. They also expect/demand couretsy form us but many dont give back. Its one reason we dont change lanes near an on ramp.. we let folks out, then they drive right next to us in the blind spot and STAY there. Never, Never stay next to a tractor trailer. When a recap lets go/blows. its like a shotgun going off.. and one WILL blow.

Quick Reply: Do People Like to Screw With Corvettes?