C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1988 Corvette Prior Owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 05:31 PM
Kettsvette
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1988 Corvette Prior Owner

I bought an '88 corvette in 2012 and would like to know some history about the car. The car was sold to Electronic Data Systems (EDS) Corporation in Richardson TX but was delivered to a Chevy Dealer, now known as Koons Tyson Chevrolet at 2000 Chain Bridge Road, in Vienna VA which is a suburb of Washington DC. Based on the VIN I think the car was delivered sometime in late September or October or early November 1987. (The carrier acceptance date is October 19, 1987.) The color is Dark Red Metallic and had the Bose stereo system, electronic AC, Sports Seats, Z52 handling package and Saddle leather interior. The car looks and runs great but I would like to find out more about the early years of the car. For example, since EDS has a major office in the DC area, I was curious if the car was used as some sort of reward by EDS for an employee for a job well done or for some other reason. The first record I have of the car location was in Vanceboro, NC, with a registration date of March 15, 1989. The car later went to Arapahoe then to Oriental, NC. In 2004, the car was registered in Spring Hill, FL. It stayed in Florida until I bought it and it now is in Arizona.

If anyone has any information about Corvettes with EDS or anything else about the car or one like it, please let me know. I know this is a shot in the dark but I would like to know as much as possible about all my cars.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:10 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I belive EDS was part of GM. at that time and they were called company cars eighth leval managers and above would get a new car every few months or so. Then they would be sold or auctioned off. I bought a Bonnivlle sse in 97 that I taged as a G.M. employe saved almost ten grand and only had three thou on it. The progam suck now!!!!
Old 06-06-2015, 10:45 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 318 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
I belive EDS was part of GM. at that time and they were called company cars eighth leval managers and above would get a new car every few months or so. Then they would be sold or auctioned off. I bought a Bonnivlle sse in 97 that I taged as a G.M. employe saved almost ten grand and only had three thou on it. The progam suck now!!!!
EDS was definitely parts of GM in the 80s. I took a service call there once. They produced all the electronics for GM. They were sold off several years ago.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:09 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by jv9999
EDS was definitely parts of GM in the 80s. I took a service call there once. They produced all the electronics for GM. They were sold off several years ago.
In Texas they were responsable for our manafest scheduling.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Kettsvette
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, GM bought EDS in 1984 and they spun it off in 1996 as a separate company. Hewlett Packard bought it in 2008. I don't know if it is still an HP company. However, the information about GM providing cars to their executives makes sense but since it is a Corvette, I would think the employee would have to be pretty high up in the organization. The EDS office in the Washington DC area must have been pretty large at the time because the US Government had a contract with them to take charge of most of the data processing needs of the US government.

I sent a request to their Plano Texas office to see if they had any information but they did not respond. At any rate, thank you for the information and if anyone else has any more inputs please feel free to respond.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:40 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kettsvette
Actually, GM bought EDS in 1984 and they spun it off in 1996 as a separate company. Hewlett Packard bought it in 2008. I don't know if it is still an HP company. However, the information about GM providing cars to their executives makes sense but since it is a Corvette, I would think the employee would have to be pretty high up in the organization. The EDS office in the Washington DC area must have been pretty large at the time because the US Government had a contract with them to take charge of most of the data processing needs of the US government.

I sent a request to their Plano Texas office to see if they had any information but they did not respond. At any rate, thank you for the information and if anyone else has any more inputs please feel free to respond.
Back then all company cars came though the plant in Arlington and was moved to Plano in the early 2000 if I remember right. My Dad used to get new cars mosty cadys one time they gave him a vette and he traded it for a truck. No use for a vette as he already had one and a wife and two kids would not fit

Last edited by antfarmer2; 06-07-2015 at 07:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1988 Corvette Prior Owner

Quick Reply: 1988 Corvette Prior Owner