C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

hood removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 09:09 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Default hood removal

How big a PIA is it to remove the hood and replace it after engine change? Slowly drifting toward changing engines, which I already have sitting in the garage. As space is very limited there I will be doing it outside in the back yard, when weather warms up enough. The reason for hood removal is because it seems easier simply to put own some 1/2 inch plywood to run my engine cherry picker in that direction, instead of sideways. Thoughts invited on the subject. thanks.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:15 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I have not done it myself but I think a Youtube search will show you how its done. 2 person job for sure.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:46 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
How big a PIA is it to remove the hood and replace it after engine change? Slowly drifting toward changing engines, which I already have sitting in the garage. As space is very limited there I will be doing it outside in the back yard, when weather warms up enough. The reason for hood removal is because it seems easier simply to put own some 1/2 inch plywood to run my engine cherry picker in that direction, instead of sideways. Thoughts invited on the subject. thanks.
Hi it is quite easy actually as long as you have a helper.

Mark the hood hinge before doing anything so it will be aligned, then remove the small assist struts at the hinges. Then remove the hood support or strut. Use a piece of wood to hold the hood up while you unbolt the hood from hinge, then i recommend some electrical tape over the bumper in front of the hood (in case you bump it and chip the paint) then lift off.

I used a block and tackle to the beam in the garage, lift the engine then roll the car back.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:01 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

Default hood removal

I replaced the engine in my 1984 2 years ago. I removed the hood. the way I did it was I used a contrasting color paint and painted around the attaching points on the hood for realignment. I then cleaned the paint with lacquer thinner when reinstalled. I had three other guys to help so it was very easy to handle. Their are shims under the vertical bolts that go into the frame and need to be kept in order by side if you remove them, not necessary though. It does greatly payoff to have plenty of help to do the job.

here is a link showing hood removal on a 1995.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:35 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

No biggie either way.

If at all possible, I always leave the hood on, and I've had no problems. (Pulling an LT5 is a "bit" bigger/tighter job than a SBC too!)

Even if you pull the headlights to access the hinge bolts easily, it can take as long to re-regulate the hood than it does to lift the motor out with it on. But, it isn't difficult...Just tedious (especially if you're persnickety like me!)

As mentioned, having a buddy to help makes the process go much smoother. But, I've pulled dozens of 'em and installed them by myself too, for that matter.

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2015, 07:45 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

thanks guys. Cant move the car after engine removal, no tranny support.
Paul, that's not an engine attached to the cherry picker, its a work of art.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:42 AM
exitwound
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Not difficult.. Just mark everything and watch where the shims come from when you pull the bolts from the hinges..

..and (very important)

When its off, check the security of the four screws (two each side) just above and inside atop of the front bumper. They're a pita to access with the bonnet (hood) still attached. I had to bore mine out and fit bolts instead. If they're loose, the front bumper will move up and down. I discovered how loose mine were while I was sanding the front end for paint.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:32 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
If at all possible, I always leave the hood on, and I've had no problems.

To remove the hood and the engine: Three man job, with extra alignment work.

To remove the engine with the hood in place: One man job.

Why make life difficult?

Old 02-06-2015, 11:19 PM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
thanks guys. Cant move the car after engine removal, no tranny support.
Paul, that's not an engine attached to the cherry picker, its a work of art.
When I pulled the engine on an 86, I put a long jack handle across from hood latch to hood latch and wired it to the tranny to hold it up. Then the car can be rolled around.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:06 AM
vrone44
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some years back I removed and installed the hood on my 85 XJ6 alone. I'm still scratching my head wondering just how I managed to do that.

Where there is a will there is a way.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:39 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy

To remove the hood and the engine: Three man job, with extra alignment work.

To remove the engine with the hood in place: One man job.

Why make life difficult?

Old 02-18-2015, 12:02 PM
RichardJ
Advanced

Getting ready to pull engine out of my '87. On stands, cap & wires off, wiper motor off, rad drained and still pulling parts.

Do I have enough room to pull clutch out of 4+3 manual, input shaft or do I have to pull trans back? I know I have yet to pull crank pulley, but it doesn't look like I can move it far enough forward.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've been doing searches on engine removal without much success. Some of you guys say you've pulled a number of engines with hood on, and I'm hopping that includes some with the 4+3.

Service manual gives step-by-step engine removal, but makes no mention of which trans.
Thanks
Old 02-18-2015, 01:44 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I've had my motor out dozens and dozens of times. In the beginning the car had a 4+3, now an automatic. Never had the hood off. Each time was a one man operation.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:40 PM
RichardJ
Advanced

Thanks,
I'm assuming you left the bell housing bolted to the trans and you are saying the engine can go forward far enough to clear the clutch and lift it out.

Get notified of new replies

To hood removal

Quick Reply: hood removal