C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What brand starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 07:28 PM
craneman61!
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What brand starter

I have a 96 coupe. I had the starter rebuilt about 16 months ago. It's screwing up again. Not going to rebuild this one. Does anyone know what brand starter was original to the car? Anyone have a suggestion on what brand to put on. I don't know if this was the original starter or not. Maybe a different brand is better. I am not going to get a rebuilt of any kind. I am putting a new starter on the car. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:52 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 318 Likes on 272 Posts

How is it screwing up? They are almost bullet proof and easy to fix.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:45 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I bought a mini, gear reduction, starter from Summit. Ease of installation, weight saving ( FOR ME TO LIFT, NOT to make car go faster) and works better in my opinion. Cost? about the same.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:07 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

I believe Nippon/denso starters were the original supplier for the mini starters...I have found the original style starters to be more reliable then the redesigned aftermarket starters...(My opinion only)......On ebay there are new starters made with the original style cases and all new parts, this may be your best bet..The only aftermarket style starter I would trust would be a Tilton, but they start at around $325.00.....WW

Last edited by WW7; 12-24-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:49 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... Try one for a 92-96 LTx vette ... they are high-torque mini style from the factory ......
Old 12-23-2014, 09:55 AM
scooter mcfly
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with this. Nice and light with lots of torque. And it's pretty. Also has a tab to attach a remote start switch to if you ever need to.

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/..._Block_V8.aspx
Old 12-23-2014, 10:08 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter mcfly
I went with this. Nice and light with lots of torque. And it's pretty. Also has a tab to attach a remote start switch to if you ever need to.

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/..._Block_V8.aspx
Regardless of choice, this or any other it's a very wise decision to watch the install video on the MSD and make sure that what you buy can be "shimmed" in either direction if need be also. Some can't, some can be but you need to shop for shims. New starter bolts are sometimes just a "wise buy" for a new install.

The "what to buy" I believe I'd leave as a "personal choice" - there's many counterfeit/copies of good stuff out there. Choose the vendor wisely. Even the more widely know vendors sell the "copies" of quality product.

If someone had an OE starter I might be tempted to buy the core and do the "refresh" myself vs. the purchase of some of the after-market.

OP hasn't been back. Does the OP actually have a cranking motor issue?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-23-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:31 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Starter

Originally Posted by craneman61!
I have a 96 coupe. I had the starter rebuilt about 16 months ago. It's screwing up again. Not going to rebuild this one. Does anyone know what brand starter was original to the car? Anyone have a suggestion on what brand to put on. I don't know if this was the original starter or not. Maybe a different brand is better. I am not going to get a rebuilt of any kind. I am putting a new starter on the car. Any help is greatly appreciated.
The original on the 94 and probably the 96 is the denso I want to say nipo denso not sure that is correct but denso is in their somewhere. Cannot believe your going through starters like that. GM puts their name on it also , but they don't make it. The starter is a good starter and usually gets high marks. Make sure that your problem isn't the solenoid attached to it. That would be an inexpensive fix and they fail at a higher rate. I have another car where the cable at the starter loses the connection via corosion and arcing and must be taken off and sanded down and this will last for a year or 2. I have had to get under the car and wiggle the cable to get it home. By the way Denso makes an incredible amount of parts for all cars.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:46 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

I bought this one from Corvette Central last year to replace a 2 year old NAPA rebuild that started acting up. The fact that it supposed to be "new" was the main selling point for me. Don't know who the manufacturer is, but it did have "Delco Remy" markings on the casting.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:20 AM
craneman61!
Instructor

The problem is the starter will spin but engage the flywheel. It only does this occasionally. There is no starting issue.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:25 PM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a solenoid problem and can be fixed with a $14 kit or rebuilt for about $25. A new starter is a complete waste of money. The ND GM is a Toyota starter and the best ever made. You got a Chinese solenoid that fails early, made of smoked oyster cans. Get American copper and cruise on brother.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:58 PM
craneman61!
Instructor

I just read my last post and mean to say the starter will NOT engage the flywheel.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:08 PM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by craneman61!
I just read my last post and mean to say the starter will NOT engage the flywheel.
Bendix drive

Get notified of new replies

To What brand starter

Quick Reply: What brand starter