C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Mice repellant ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 12:11 PM
BadUmp
Team Owner

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Mice repellant ?

I hear that Peppermint Oil in an H2O solution sprayed around an area will repel mice and the likes - has anyone tried this method ?

Thinking that I'll give it a try, since this can be sprayed with a spray bottle mister on the tires and undercarriage without any harm.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:47 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I have a 24 x 32 insulated steel pole barn with cement floor. I built it in 2001 so it is still like new. It is next to a wooded area with an open area of several acres. I have used 4 of the electronic devices that I purchased from Home Depot.
I have no mice or rodent problems and have never seen any evidence of their presence. I highly recommend them.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:02 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I spread a few moth ***** under my car and put the remainder of the box inside the car. no problems and stored out side
Old 11-19-2014, 07:06 PM
Mishawaka
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I heard that dryer sheets work.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:27 PM
ehengeve
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moth ***** under the hood, Dryer sheets in the glove compartment & behind the seats, Peppermint oil on a cotton ball in the ash tray.
Have yet to see any sighs of lice.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:03 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 559 Likes on 399 Posts

I loaded the interior of a car with dryer sheets last year and the mice got in and defiled the interior and urinated all over the dryer sheets. Did not work for me. This year I will try moth *****.

Ron, what are the electronic devices that home depot sells? I live IN the woods and am in search of something to keep them out of my garage.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:11 PM
BadUmp
Team Owner

Actually, I also have 4 Mini PestChaser UltrasSonic Rodent Repellents plugged in around my garage. But can never have too much protection when it comes to the sleeping beauty.....

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
I loaded the interior of a car with dryer sheets last year and the mice got in and defiled the interior and urinated all over the dryer sheets. Did not work for me. This year I will try moth *****.

Ron, what are the electronic devices that home depot sells? I live IN the woods and am in search of something to keep them out of my garage.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:55 PM
CE1
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

yes what are the electronic devises ??
Old 11-20-2014, 06:14 AM
BadUmp
Team Owner

electronic mice repellent units =

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Victor-Mi...752S/203190302
Old 11-20-2014, 08:14 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A 25 lb hungry cat!
Old 11-20-2014, 09:20 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Ah! The annual mouse thread is here!

I live surrounded by agriculture; cornfields, etc, and I was swamped with mice and an occasional RAT this time of year.

"Just One Bite" (recommended to me by a feed store owner) does an incredible job for me (and I'm spreading it around NOW!).

I've used dryer sheets and peppermint oil in the Vettes and cars sitting outside. And, if I see any signs of the little fuzzballs in any of the cars in spite of all that, I put a little "treat" of Just One Bite (JOB) under the seats too.

I've not tried the electric repellant devices, but I'm willing to try.

Living where I do, MICE are no joke around here: more than just inconvenient, they have trashed the electrical system on two cars since I've been living out here. When I can't find JOB, another one that is (was?) suppose to be good is "Tomcat". (But FWIW, my vet told me, when he was alive (ate too much Tomcat?), that dogs were more tolerant of JOB than Tomcat, should they get hold of some. In any case, it is best to hide the stuff where pooches/pets can't access it, regardless beit JOB or Tomcat, I recon.)

Oh! A pellet gun works good too, should the opportunity present itself!
Old 11-20-2014, 11:38 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by davewhtt
A 25 lb hungry cat!
Garfield does not chase mice.

My cats will catch the mice long enough to get them in the house alive and let them go.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:43 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
I live surrounded by agriculture; cornfields, etc, and I was swamped with mice and an occasional RAT this time of year.

"Just One Bite" (recommended to me by a feed store owner) does an incredible job for me (and I'm spreading it around NOW!).

I've used dryer sheets and peppermint oil in the Vettes and cars sitting outside. And, if I see any signs of the little fuzzballs in any of the cars in spite of all that, I put a little "treat" of Just One Bite (JOB) under the seats too.

I've not tried the electric repellant devices, but I'm willing to try.

Living where I do, MICE are no joke around here: more than just inconvenient, they have trashed the electrical system on two cars since I've been living out here. When I can't find JOB, another one that is (was?) suppose to be good is "Tomcat". (But FWIW, my vet told me, when he was alive (ate too much Tomcat?), that dogs were more tolerant of JOB than Tomcat, should they get hold of some. In any case, it is best to hide the stuff where pooches/pets can't access it, regardless beit JOB or Tomcat, I recon.)

Oh! A pellet gun works good too, should the opportunity present itself!
I agree Paul with the "Just One Bite" and it works great. I live in a very rural area in east Texas. And yes, I get it at the local feed store too.
I rarely see the dead critter's but sure see where they have been eating it. The dead one's I did see you can sure see how it works too
Old 11-20-2014, 03:21 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by chevyowner
Garfield does not chase mice.

My cats will catch the mice long enough to get them in the house alive and let them go.
reminds me of when I had 4 pooches in the house, including two rescued Greyhounds.

Living in Franktown Colorado, I left the house for a few hours, and when I returned and opened the back door, there on the landing was a little pile of four dead mice.

All the pooches came running to the door when they heard me come in, and were standing in front of me, wagging their tails. I pointed to the mice and said, "Who is the one that caught all these mice!?" The one white/brown Greyhound got all puffed up and wagged his tail furiously. He was "Mr. Personality"; a remarkable dog.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:18 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Old 11-20-2014, 09:58 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 499 Likes on 397 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
And, if I see any signs of the little fuzzballs in any of the cars in spite of all that, I put a little "treat" of Just One Bite (JOB) under the seats too.
Are the mice nice enough to crawl out of the Vette to drop dead? How does it work if they die under the seat?
Old 11-21-2014, 06:03 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PLRX
Yeah, I hear ya Pete. "Bout this time every year since 2002 when I joined, someone asks about mice.

BUT! Living among the corn stalks where I do, it is a real problem; wiring on my Jeep and wife's C3 was trashed by them that first winter. So, if there's something to offer that got me out of the major infestation I experienced my first winter out here AND keeps them at bay...I don't mind noobs asking.

Get notified of new replies

To Mice repellant ?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:13 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Exactly even though I don't have advice on keeping mice out of cars. I would rather see someone ask how to keep the mice out then ask how to fix all the electrical, and other damage after the mice got in.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:55 AM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyowner
Exactly even though I don't have advice on keeping mice out of cars. I would rather see someone ask how to keep the mice out then ask how to fix all the electrical, and other damage after the mice got in.
Agreed! I am having to fix some mice-related issues in my '88 due to it sitting in a barn for 8 years by the prior owner. Honestly the wiring is not messed up as much as the pee/crap smell and mess I've had to deal with. The entire inside has been pressure washed and wiped down with bleach. The carpets were pressure washed and then steam cleaned as well. It's taken a bunch of work to get it smelling clean(ish) again.

Later,

Lee
Old 11-21-2014, 02:35 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Quick Reply: Mice repellant ?