C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Who makes this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 09:03 PM
SeanHM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes this?

Spotted this on Craigslist. I talked to the owner, but am not sure about how accurate he was. About anything. Anyway, I like the roll/style bar on the car. It may not do much structurally, but couldn't hurt and gives the car a bit of a speedster look by changing the proportions a bit. Anyone know who made it? My wife said she prefers the convertibles lines and after reading that they are stiffer than a coupe with the hardtop, I have expanded my search parameters. Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2014, 02:48 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting. I haven't seen one, nor can I find one. Maybe it's a custom piece. Here's a bump.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:01 PM
SeanHM
Instructor

The owner was adamant that it has that because it was one of the cars used at the track. I have since found that there were in fact cars used at the track in numerous colors so that part may be true, but I have yet to find any pics of one with a similar roll bar. It's a very nice piece and must have some structural integrity since the seat belts are mounted to it. Search continued.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:32 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice..I have never seen one before.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:18 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by SeanHM
Spotted this on Craigslist. I talked to the owner, but am not sure about how accurate he was. About anything. Anyway, I like the roll/style bar on the car. It may not do much structurally, but couldn't hurt and gives the car a bit of a speedster look by changing the proportions a bit. Anyone know who made it? My wife said she prefers the convertibles lines and after reading that they are stiffer than a coupe with the hardtop, I have expanded my search parameters. Thanks
Without know what material went in to that piece. it would be hard to say what it would do structurally. Same with the attaching points for securing the shoulder belts. The OEM shoulder belt towers are welded to the frame. If the bar is bolted in place using the locations for the hardtop mounting brackets, I would question the ability of the bar to effectively hold the belts during a high-speed collision.

If you look at the height of the bar, it doesn't appear to be high enough to "qualify" as a true roll bar for track/HPDE events. From the pic it looks like it isn't much more than 4-5" higher than the top of the seat back. Nice looking, but I'm not sure about how safe it may be.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:42 PM
SeanHM
Instructor

I agree. I like the look though. And it appears too professionally done to be homemade.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:39 AM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanHM
I'm thinking Lingenfelter, although it's not listed on their website. However, it looks just like one they currently make for the Camaro.

Here's a link...
http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...1#.VE8dPi5dXu1
Old 10-28-2014, 10:36 PM
SeanHM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DrDyno
I'm thinking Lingenfelter...
You might be on to something. Maybe he'd sell me just the bar....
Old 10-29-2014, 10:50 AM
beerme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a thread a little over a year ago where a member with a black vette had one.

He stated basically the same thing, it came with the car. A lot of people then tried to figure out where it came from, it does look good but as someone else stated. It doesn't look like it would hold up in an unfortunate event.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:54 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

A friend of mine has one just like that on his late 2000 Camaro Convertable...Maybe someone adapted one of these to fit the Corvette....WW

Last edited by WW7; 10-29-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Who makes this?

Quick Reply: Who makes this?