C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Car Wash fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 01:32 PM
maddogwyatt
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vl5150
I'll start cleaning it myself. I just need to get the minerals out or the water.

Not only can't I find a good mechanic, I can't even find a good car wash.
Back in the '70's, my dad used to take his XKE convertible through the AUTOMATIC car wash. He used to get me to hold a duster to the door window rubbers to stop leaks!! It wasn't worth so much money back then.......
Old 10-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by vl5150

i'll start cleaning it myself. I just need to get the minerals out or the water.
we have been using a water softener for 20+ years, does great in removing the minerals department.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:06 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Oddities

I can appreciate the issue with the parking brake, it took me a little while to figure out how to release it when I bought mine. It was at a car auction and once purchased it was mine with no directions and no manual. Figure it out I did, but it took a few minutes.
Reminds me of another incident that happened many years back. I worked at a parking lot, you pulled in and left your car and I did the valet thing and parked it. I was young and car smart (or so I thought) till one day an Avanti pulled in. Gave them their ticket and went to park it. Problem was the headlights were on and be darned if I could find the switch. I probably spent 20-30 minutes looking for that darn switch. I finally unhooked the battery cable so the battery wouldn't run down. When they came back I explained my dilemma and advised them what I'd done. He laughed and showed me the light switch was in a small console on the roof (the one place I hadn't looked, hadn't even noticed it had a console up there). Made me feel rather sheepish and we had a good laugh over it. Over the next year, he came in a few times with the Avanti and each time would tease me with the question if I remembered where the headlight switch was (all in good fun). His normal driver was a 67 GTO and that one I had down pat.
I guess all I'm saying is when in doubt, tell them. I've done that with my mechanic as this was the first C4 he'd worked on.

Last edited by hcbph; 10-18-2014 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:44 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,476 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPJWB
What in the world could be so difficult about the e-brake that the dude couldn't figure it out!?
When I first got my C4 I couldn't even find the e-brake. Who put it on the left side?!
Old 10-19-2014, 12:11 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by MRPVette
I only wash mine myself.
Yep! Then I know who to blame when it's scratched.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:33 PM
BadUmp
Team Owner

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

A number of years ago I had my Jeep Cherokee (which I valued as much as most guys valued their 'vette's) at a MonroMuffler shop for an oil change.

Normally I did them myself but things were hectic and there was no line waiting when I drove by so I pulled in.

Anyway, after just shy of an hour I look to see what in he!! is taking so long and there is no one even near my Jeep, which is still up on the lift with the oil dump can still underneath.

So I call the manager over and ask what is going on. He tells me that the parts boy is out at the local Jeep dealer getting a part for my vehicle.

I then ask "WHAT part? He responds by saying that my Oil Pan had rusted out around the threads where the plugs goes in.

That's when I asked him if he had a mirror. He looks at me funny and says "a what?" I repeated myself and said " A mirror, because I want to see what it is you are seeing. Because I know that I wasn't born yesterday! AND, if you think I'm paying for a new oil pan which your guy must have cross threaded the plug on trying to get the plug in your nuts. If there had been a problem he'd have know the moment to tried taking it out." That's when I went into the shop and picked the plug off the lift arm and sure as hell the threads were chewed to ****.
Still have it in my took box as a reminder to stay away from these places.

Then the dick had the nerve to think I was going to pay the oil change bill after waiting over 2 hours......
Old 10-20-2014, 09:28 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 637 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Caught me off guard with my first C4, watched the smog guy stall the car I dont know how many times til I showed him. Oh well.....
A lot of people have problems with the e brake. I had the same problem at a smog check in AZ with my '85. He stalled it a couple times, then basically did a full throttle start and smoke was coming out. I came unglued and came out of the little room screaming at them.

When I bought my '88 I got a big discount because the salesman and the mechanic couldn't figure it out. They told me the brakes were bad and locked on and even had the brake light on. I didn't tell them, but I got a steep discount and there was no problem when I released the e brake.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:06 PM
BadUmp
Team Owner

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Way to go ! ! !
It pays dividend$ to read the manual,
even if you're only a lowly salesperson .....

Originally Posted by QCVette
A lot of people have problems with the e brake. I had the same problem at a smog check in AZ with my '85. He stalled it a couple times, then basically did a full throttle start and smoke was coming out. I came unglued and came out of the little room screaming at them.

When I bought my '88 I got a big discount because the salesman and the mechanic couldn't figure it out. They told me the brakes were bad and locked on and even had the brake light on. I didn't tell them, but I got a steep discount and there was no problem when I released the e brake.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:27 PM
Brett Richmond
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

About the same results?? LOL

Quick Reply: Car Wash fiasco