C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

'85 Vette - Tach numbers are scrambled. Just disassembled the cluster

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 02:53 PM
sheervelocity
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '85 Vette - Tach numbers are scrambled. Just disassembled the cluster

Anyone know common reasons for this? My LCD screen seems like it's in good shape with no cracks. The illumniator plastic has a tiny tiny bit of damage. The pink rubber conductors were pretty gross on the tach LCD, I cleaned them and everything with alcohol.

Before I put it back together does anyone know the cause of the scramble? I for some reason don't think the pink pads are the cause for the scramble.

ps I also soldered together some lose pins in the power supply thanks to batee
Old 08-23-2014, 04:12 PM
sheervelocity
Heel & Toe

I put it all back together after cleaning everything and the problem was the same when i put it back in the car.

The numbers are scrambled on the tach, and half the other lights are out on the tach except the 'rev bar'.

Any input appreciated thanks
Old 08-23-2014, 07:17 PM
sheervelocity
Heel & Toe

Update: When I turn the key to ON, the entire tach display does light up, then most of it disappears after a second. So it does have the capability to light up

Surely this has happened to someone before?
Old 08-24-2014, 02:10 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The dash does a "lamp test" when the ignition is first turned on. It turns on all the LCD segments just to make sure it can. That says that the connections between the two PC boards (the pink rubber things) are OK and the problem is elsewhere.

Do the tach "graph" segment light up in order during the lamp test? They should start at zero and go to max RPM, one at a time.

Is your tach filter intact? Do you have a MSD distributor? Both of those have been known to cause tach issues.

Get notified of new replies

To '85 Vette - Tach numbers are scrambled. Just disassembled the cluster

Quick Reply: '85 Vette - Tach numbers are scrambled. Just disassembled the cluster