C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Learning to Drive a Stick

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 05:39 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Learning to Drive a Stick

Thanks to the help of all you guys, I finally got my car running so I can drive it.
My problem now is that I'm just now learning to drive a stick. With my parents' coaching, I've gotten skilled enough to make it go, but it's not smooth. I'm having problems with it lurching a little when I start from a dead stop. I've researched it online, but the answer I seem to hear uniformly is "It depends on the car". That being said, I'm sure one or two of you have a 6 speed with the L98 motor - the same car. Do you guys have any tips on how to keep it from lurching? Do you give it gas before beginning to let out the clutch, or do you wait until you feel the clutch start to grab? Do you find revving it to a certain RPM is optimal?
Do you have any other tips for driving this car? Or even just a stick in general?
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:40 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by C4ProjectCar
Thanks to the help of all you guys, I finally got my car running so I can drive it.
My problem now is that I'm just now learning to drive a stick. With my parents' coaching, I've gotten skilled enough to make it go, but it's not smooth. I'm having problems with it lurching a little when I start from a dead stop. I've researched it online, but the answer I seem to hear uniformly is "It depends on the car". That being said, I'm sure one or two of you have a 6 speed with the L98 motor - the same car. Do you guys have any tips on how to keep it from lurching? Do you give it gas before beginning to let out the clutch, or do you wait until you feel the clutch start to grab? Do you find revving it to a certain RPM is optimal?
Do you have any other tips for driving this car? Or even just a stick in general?
Thanks in advance.
Feather the clutch to obtain a smooth take off.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:53 PM
wfd1739
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Practice practice. And patience.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:04 PM
Karsten
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Go find a church or vacant big box store parking lot and learn the clutch/gas ratio. Practice start, shift to 2nd and stop. Until to get the hang of the clutch give yourself plenty of space from the car in front of you at a light, avoid inclines when possible at lights.

Take your time.

Good luck,

Karsten
Old 08-22-2014, 06:22 PM
ToniJ1960
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

When I first was learning I had what everyone told me in my mind so firmly, let out the clutch give it gas, that I kept stalling it esp on hills. No fun.

I finally said the heck with this Im figuring it out myself. Next thing I knew I was having too much darn fun. Like everyone says patience and practice.

You get a feel for it.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:01 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by wfd1739
Practice practice. And patience.
Originally Posted by Karsten
Go find a church or vacant big box store parking lot and learn the clutch/gas ratio. Practice start, shift to 2nd and stop. Until to get the hang of the clutch give yourself plenty of space from the car in front of you at a light, avoid inclines when possible at lights.

Take your time.

Good luck,

Karsten
Originally Posted by ToniJ1960
When I first was learning I had what everyone told me in my mind so firmly, let out the clutch give it gas, that I kept stalling it esp on hills. No fun.

I finally said the heck with this Im figuring it out myself. Next thing I knew I was having too much darn fun. Like everyone says patience and practice.

You get a feel for it.
Thanks everyone! I just went out driving with my mom (dad's still at work) and I'm getting it down. Still a long way from perfect - or even good - but I'm getting there.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:03 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

AS said above...practice. You want to slowly let out the clutch as you slowly give the car gas. IF you let out the clutch too fast with out enough gas it will lurch. So it is about a equal ratio of gas pedal going down as clutch is going up.

As they said about, find a nice big empty lot someplace and practice. I learned on old tractors, and the gas was a level on the steering wheel or forward of the steering wheel. With a tractor you could start in 4th if your wanted since they were geared so low. Shifting from one gear to another was double clutch, gas lever and shift lever....you ran out of hands to steer!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:05 PM
sahhas
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

i don't have experience w/ corvette sticks/clutches....
but the advice folks said: go to a big lot and pratice is good.
that is how i learned. it takes awhile to get the hang of it.

my other advice is to: NOT DRIVE A STICK LIKE MY DAD DID!!!
on his old chevy he went through THREE CLUTCHES!!!
i mean when i heard he had to put his 3rd one in, i was like: WOW!
whereas on our old mazda 323, we put 160K miles on the car, still had the original clutch!

all cars have a different feel, my dad's old chevy, boy that was a very stiff clutch. had an entirely different feel than our mazda and the few VWs i've driven.

good luck!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:18 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Years ago my oldest son was storing a 2000 Vette 6-speed and let me "test drive" it. I found the clutch to be quite stiff but had no problem with jerking/stalling.

As already said, there is no "magic"; it's a matter of "feel". Keep on with the practice and that "feel" will come quickly.
The Vette engine has enough power that, even on a hill you can easily start up with no roll/stall, once you get the feel of clutch engagement.

Meanwhile, kick back and enjoy your new driving experience...
Old 08-22-2014, 07:51 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Years ago my oldest son was storing a 2000 Vette 6-speed and let me "test drive" it. I found the clutch to be quite stiff but had no problem with jerking/stalling.

As already said, there is no "magic"; it's a matter of "feel". Keep on with the practice and that "feel" will come quickly.
The Vette engine has enough power that, even on a hill you can easily start up with no roll/stall, once you get the feel of clutch engagement.

Meanwhile, kick back and enjoy your new driving experience...
Thanks.
I definitely will enjoy it, and because of that will have no problem getting in lots of practice
Old 08-22-2014, 08:21 PM
HandsomeMike
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I learned to drive a manual in a 74 Vette Ragtop. It was my friends Dad's car and we took it to a school parking lot. We spent the first 20-30 minutes just slowly letting out the clutch until I felt it engage. Once I had a feel for when the clutch would engage, I would then bring the rpm's up a bit and let the clutch out slowly to the engage point at the same time. Once you can do that it's all gravy from there.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:24 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by HandsomeMike
I learned to drive a manual in a 74 Vette Ragtop. It was my friends Dad's car and we took it to a school parking lot. We spent the first 20-30 minutes just slowly letting out the clutch until I felt it engage. Once I had a feel for when the clutch would engage, I would then bring the rpm's up a bit and let the clutch out slowly to the engage point at he same time. On e you can do that it's all gravy from there.
Yep, I did something similar. Drove around the neighborhood going from a stop to first to stopped again. All that practice went out the window though as soon as I left the neighborhood and was at a stoplight with a car behind me.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:31 PM
need4speedmotors
Supporting Vendor

Received 190 Likes on 182 Posts

Let of the clutch slowly until you start to feel the car tug and move slightly.

That is your clutch's grip point

at that point you want to lightly tap the gas and lay of the clutch more slowly adding gas as you decrees.

and then Boom you either will

1. stall
2. sputter and stall
3. spin lol
4. slowly begin to drive the car

itll be # 1 a few times and then # 4 after your 10th time.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:34 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Once you get the feel for the clutch. Then join us for autocross next year at Solano College in Fairfield and learn how to drive the car and what it is capable of doing. The worst thing that can happen there is your knock over some cones.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:44 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by need4speedmotors
Let of the clutch slowly until you start to feel the car tug and move slightly.

That is your clutch's grip point

at that point you want to lightly tap the gas and lay of the clutch more slowly adding gas as you decrees.

and then Boom you either will

1. stall
2. sputter and stall
3. spin lol
4. slowly begin to drive the car

itll be # 1 a few times and then # 4 after your 10th time.
I am a champ at #1 and #2, and I'm getting better at #4. With the price of tires on this thing I won't be trying #3
Old 08-22-2014, 08:44 PM
C4ProjectCar
Drifting

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
Once you get the feel for the clutch. Then join us for autocross next year at Solano College in Fairfield and learn how to drive the car and what it is capable of doing. The worst thing that can happen there is your knock over some cones.
That sounds like fun! I just assumed for anything like that I'd need a roll cage, racing harness, etc. Is that the case? And what does it cost?
Old 08-22-2014, 10:07 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

No roll cage, harness or other racing equipment .... just an approved helmet.

The next autocross is September 13 and again on the 14th at Solano. If your interested, just show up and you can ride with me. I always drive in the first run group which usually hits the course about 9-9:30. I have an extra helmet.

Here is a link to pictures of the event and also Marina. I am driving the red 95 with 800J on the side. There is a story behind the number....the San Francisco Police Department code 800J stands for CRAZY JUVENILE!

https://plus.google.com/photos/10042...857?banner=pwa

https://plus.google.com/photos/10042...ums?banner=pwa

PM Sent to you about Sept Autocross......

Last edited by John A. Marker; 08-23-2014 at 03:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Learning to Drive a Stick

Old 08-22-2014, 10:54 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
...and get cone rash. ;-)

I hit a cone pretty hard that had silver reflective tape on it. It left some nasty scratches in my paint. Battle scar.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:00 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

No reflective tape on the cone here. A few have gone from orange to black...to grated as cars drug them across the finish line . Check out some of the pictures. Here is run group 2.....check out the yellow car about half way thru the pictures......

https://plus.google.com/photos/10042...289?banner=pwa

Last edited by John A. Marker; 08-23-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:24 AM
murraybob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielRicany
Feather the clutch to obtain a smooth take off.

When starting out in 1st gear, the clutch must be feathered for a smooth start. When the clutch first grabs, hold it there until the car gets going before releasing the clutch out the rest of the way. In the other gears that is not necessary.

Quick Reply: Learning to Drive a Stick