Cooling fans

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 05:59 AM
Bumusa
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fans

Hello guys,

This is my first thread so i'll try to keep it short and simple.

The cooling fans are not working at all. They don't operate when you open the A/C or even if you wait for the standard temperature. It all happened when i took my car from the garage yesterday replaced water pump, delco and other engine parts and it works all well except that the cooling fans are dead and also the battery had to be charged externally before i claim the car for that some guy forgot the interior lights on and didn't know how to close them. Anyway I just wanted to enquire what are the steps i can do before taking it back to the garage, for that i might solve it myself if possible.

Thank you guys in advance and my beauty is the corvette c4 92 LT1 stock
Old 08-22-2014, 08:47 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Could be the fan relays. Located on left side of the radiator shroud.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:06 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Could be the fan relays. Located on left side of the radiator shroud.
thats what I would check. Also you mentioned pulling the water pump did you pull the shroud to clean out the raditor area and forget to plug them back in?
Old 08-22-2014, 10:34 AM
Bumusa
3rd Gear

fan relay connecters where plugged. I did unplugged them and connected them again but still no use even when I open the A/C still nothing with the fans. What's the next step guys? how can I troubleshoot this silly matter and what to check next?

a pic of the relays down below unplugged if it is for anyone's interest.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:41 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

One relay (left one in picture) is for the primary fan, try reversing connector. I just replaced both of mine, your connectors need to be cleaned up and put some dielectric grease on them. Check to see if temp sensor is connected on the water pump or the wire has broken or grounded out. I use dielectric on connection even those that may have the foam rubber inserts to help prevent moisture entering. Mine is a 93 and you could also check to see if fans will operate by grounding pin A and G on the obd1 connector to kick on both fans. The FSM the manual for your corvette is the best way to assist in traking down problems.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:14 AM
Bumusa
3rd Gear

I checked the relays, connectors, and cooling fans directly and they were all working well with no issues. A friend of mine said that if their is no A/C gas the cooling fans will not work and I do have a leak in the air condition system from the evaporator with no gas in my car but is it true that not having gas will make the cooling fans not to operate? Will give results after a couple of days after i put some gas, might work.

Last edited by Bumusa; 08-24-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:20 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumusa
I checked the relays, connectors, and cooling fans directly and they were all working well with no issues. A friend of mine said that if their is no A/C gas the cooling fans will not work and I do have a leak in the air condition system from the evaporator with no gas in my car but is it true that not having gas will make the cooling fans not to operate? Will give results after a couple of days after i put some gas, might work.
The fans are controlled by the PCM (Powertrain Control Module). It will turn on the primary fan if the coolant temperature is over 228°F. It will turn on the secondary fan if the coolant temperature is over 238°F. Check your coolant temperature sensor on the water pump. That's the one that the PCM uses.

The PCM will also turn on the fan if the AC is turned on. You can test this by disconnecting the coolant fan cycling switch on the AC lines. It is the smaller of the two switches on the high pressure line.

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling fans

Quick Reply: Cooling fans