Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Think twice before throwing old stuff away!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 04:12 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Default Think twice before throwing old stuff away!

So I decide to take the old girl to work today, ('96 LT4). I replaced the surge tank cap and figured it was a good day to try break it in. Not an overly hot day for NW Houston anyway.

Everything is great until I get about a half mile from work. I start to smell coolant, (temp is still fine), then the low coolant light comes on. As I'm crossing over the tollway, I look in my rear view, and lo and behold, there's a trail of fluid behind me. Well, the temps are still good, and it's only about a block and half to work. I make it, steam coming from the hood of course.

I didn't really have time to fully inspect that moment, but I raise the hood and coolant is everywhere. Right above the surge tank. So I'm thinking the new cap is wrong or crap, either way. So I go into work to sell some fish and wine.

Come out after I got the place closed down with a couple gallons of water. Figure I'll nurse it home and take care of it on Saturday. Well I'll be d@mned if my heater hose flow valve isn't snapped in half! Just came apart on one end, not really broken, just came apart. Well, I just happen to wonder if I left a trusty roll of duct tape in the storage bin. No, I didn't, but I found something better...

This is the part where you don't throw stuff away. There just happened to be the thing I made for a TB bypass in there. What the ....? Well, I managed to get it on tight, not a perfect fit, but leak free. Tow truck be darned. Filled it up with the water, and made sure roadside assistance was in my phone, and off I went.

Got nervous a couple of times as the temp spiked, 248 was the hottest digital read. I was about to pull over, then it went down, and eventually flattened out around 208, with a few spikes. I came to realize it must be the air in the system.

I had long forgotten about that TB bypass. It must've been in there for 3 or 4 years.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:12 AM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Good! I am glad you were able to rig it to get home. I always agonize on throwing out stuff especially used car parts. My wife remarked how full the garage is recently and I got rid of some stuff - now you have me wondering.

I also wonder how important that flow restrictor really is. I understand that it keeps the heater core from blowing out under hard acceleration but is it really needed? I keep a spare in the storage compartment for just the reason you needed one.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:11 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Dont feel bad we have all done that before. Glad you were able to get it back home.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:24 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver96ce
Good! I am glad you were able to rig it to get home. I always agonize on throwing out stuff especially used car parts. My wife remarked how full the garage is recently and I got rid of some stuff - now you have me wondering.

I also wonder how important that flow restrictor really is. I understand that it keeps the heater core from blowing out under hard acceleration but is it really needed? I keep a spare in the storage compartment for just the reason you needed one.
I really wonder about that too. I mean they are cheap plastic. I believe there is a check valve of some sort inside. I say this because I found a spring, however, what ever the spring fit to was long gone.

The other thing I wonder is do I really need to replace it. The part I put on there is bigger on one side than the other, and I put it on so the smaller side is on the heater core side. This would cause a natural restriction. But I'll replace it anyway.

The other thing I wonder, is if the cap I got might have caused it to come apart? Maybe it didn't relieve enough pressure and the excess pressure made it come apart?

Get notified of new replies

To Think twice before throwing old stuff away!

Quick Reply: Think twice before throwing old stuff away!