Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What stops a 700r4 from going into OD after rebuild

Old 08-21-2014, 07:07 AM
Rockcrushervette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What stops a 700r4 from going into OD after rebuild

Not new to Chevys just stepped out of a 29 350/350th 8 yrs daily driver! Built myself frame up! Have a 88 Vette just rebuilt 700r4 can't seem to get it to kick overdrive! Recent rebuild and installed myself! I feel the TCC working in other gears the peddle switch works it is shifting Nice into all four gears! Get around 60 put it in OD the same but if I let off throttle engine drops to idle and won't engage till I bring rpm back up ! Is od 4th with tcc locked? how can i lock tcc for 4th! i dont race just drive to work! Tranny guy says just keep driving it ! But need OD for fuel millage! I did try the f-a on ALDL no change! Any ideas I would appreciate ! Thankz!

CLIFF
Old 08-22-2014, 01:23 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I have had two 700r4s that would not shift into OD after a rebuild. The first one I ran it up to about 70 MPH in D and then backed off and it finally shifted into OD. The second one shifted into OD when I held it at about 60 MPH in D. My theory is that air gets into the valve body during the rebuild and keeps the shift into OD from working. I have seen several weird things happen right after a rebuild that worked themselves out after driving for a while. Make sure you manually go into 1st and 2nd gear. The valve body passages that are used in manual 1 and 2 do not get used when the trans is in D or OD and shifts through 1 and 2.

TCC will lock in ANY gear at 40 MPH. It's programmed into the ECM, which is what controls TCC lockup.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:48 AM
Rockcrushervette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I have had two 700r4s that would not shift into OD after a rebuild. The first one I ran it up to about 70 MPH in D and then backed off and it finally shifted into OD. The second one shifted into OD when I held it at about 60 MPH in D. My theory is that air gets into the valve body during the rebuild and keeps the shift into OD from working. I have seen several weird things happen right after a rebuild that worked themselves out after driving for a while. Make sure you manually go into 1st and 2nd gear. The valve body passages that are used in manual 1 and 2 do not get used when the trans is in D or OD and shifts through 1 and 2.

TCC will lock in ANY gear at 40 MPH. It's programmed into the ECM, which is what controls TCC lockup.

Cool cool thankz Cliff! It shifts soft but all is there haven't stomped on it yet nervous about all the stories of TV cable sure I have it good just want to get to work ! I tried that on way to work couple times! Thankz again grew up in Anahiem hills myself! Have a good day bra!
Old 08-22-2014, 01:18 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Make sure the tv cable is adjusted correctly.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:53 PM
Rockcrushervette
Instructor

Originally Posted by 383vett
I can pull it out about 3/8 when it tightens and it stops when throttle body is open all way! To tight? To loose? Had it tighter and would have to let off throttle to get it to shift but that was a week ago! Maybe tighten back up a little would make harder shift?

Thankz for replying

Cliff
Old 08-22-2014, 06:24 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockcrushervette
I can pull it out about 3/8 when it tightens and it stops when throttle body is open all way! To tight? To loose? Had it tighter and would have to let off throttle to get it to shift but that was a week ago! Maybe tighten back up a little would make harder shift? Thankz for replying Cliff
Heres a decent article about adjusting your tv cable

http://www.cpttransmission.com/tech_tvcable.htm
Old 08-22-2014, 07:07 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I did try the f-a on ALDL
The F-A ALDL jumper will lock the TCC in any gear except 1st, regardless of speed, throttle position, etc.
If you rig a simple SPST switch you will see this by watching the tach when you close the sw.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:45 PM
Rockcrushervette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dt86
Heres a decent article about adjusting your tv cable

http://www.cpttransmission.com/tech_tvcable.htm
Cool cool thankz bro!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:05 PM
Rockcrushervette
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65Z01
The F-A ALDL jumper will lock the TCC in any gear except 1st, regardless of speed, throttle position, etc.
If you rig a simple SPST switch you will see this by watching the tach when you close the sw.
I do have that switch and i can feel it working when applied in everything but overdrive? But when in OD at 70mph let off the throttle and rpms drop out! Bring rpms back I can feel the stall catch speed and gain power? With origenal tranny OD would kick in 70mph=1700 rpms now I'm 70 @2500rpms! Found a link OD needs response from vac switch,water temp,oil pressure for ecm to let od! just realized maybe the fitting on the little sencer with one wire maybe should be checked the one for pressure temp for guages works ! Ever hear of any of this?

Thankz for reply bro

Cliff
Old 08-22-2014, 10:41 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by 383vett

Shops are notorious for leaving that one hanging in the engine bay.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:49 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockcrushervette
Found a link OD needs response from vac switch,water temp,oil pressure for ecm to let od! just realized maybe the fitting on the little sencer with one wire maybe should be checked the one for pressure temp for guages works ! Ever hear of any of this?
That configuration was for the TH400 transmission.

The 700r4 is completely different. It uses the TV cable to adjust the internal pressure and the governor to determine when to shift. Everything else is controlled internally by the transmission. It doesn't know anything about vacuum, coolant temperature or oil pressure. The only thing you need to get the transmission into OD is to set the shift lever to the OD position. Everything else is done inside the transmission.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:29 PM
Rockcrushervette
Instructor

I found it!! I found it! Getting on freeway I rolled it to 105mph and OD kicked in! Fell out then kicked in @ 90 the. 75!! Getting better thankz for all the quick help Vette guyz!!!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Rockcrushervette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
That configuration was for the TH400 transmission.

The 700r4 is completely different. It uses the TV cable to adjust the internal pressure and the governor to determine when to shift. Everything else is controlled internally by the transmission. It doesn't know anything about vacuum, coolant temperature or oil pressure. The only thing you need to get the transmission into OD is to set the shift lever to the OD position. Everything else is done inside the transmission.

Hi Cliff!
Would you know what tells OD to kick in? I ran it up to 105mph and OD kicked in then around 80! But it still takes up to 86 to kick in the. I can run it down to 73 before it falls out! Be It i only drive freeway 10 min! Shoul I just get it I. OD and drive longer? Before rebuild OD would kick in 55! Thankz for your help!

Get notified of new replies

To What stops a 700r4 from going into OD after rebuild

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What stops a 700r4 from going into OD after rebuild