Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

2 days before Carlisle and I have a problem!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:09 PM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2 days before Carlisle and I have a problem!

Hi guys,

I was planning to leave for Carlisle tomorrow so I was prepping my car the other day and discovered that I have a problem! My water pump is leaking and about 1/3 of the coolant had already leaked. I talked to two people already about it - nobody could fix it by tomorrow and I didn't have time, so the car is staying home, but once I get back, I intend to get this fixed ASAP.

Does anyone have any recommendations as far as getting decent prices on parts? I'm probably looking at replacing the distributor caps and wires since it got leaked on.

Also, if anyone in the NYC area has any referrals to help with this, I would appreciate that too!

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:41 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

Important to let us know that you have a 94.

Rock Auto has good prices.

I would consider installing a nipple in the weep hole of the pump and a line to drain any coolant coming from the the weep hole down past the opti.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I agree about Rockauto prices being pretty good. As for a cap, I just bought a Standard brand cap and rotor for one of my backup optis. I am currently reinstalling a newly rebuilt MSD along with a lot of other things. I have come down with a bad case of "while I am in there I might as well" . But the Standard cap seems to be a very good unit. Brass terminals and heavy weight. I got it on Amazon at a pretty good price (lower than I could find it elsewhere plus you get free shipping) -

Amazon.com: Standard Motor Products DR473 Cap & Rotor Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Standard Motor Products DR473 Cap & Rotor Kit: Automotive

If the spark plug wires are in good shape and not too old you can probably reuse them.

Rockauto has the water pump. I bought a Bosch two years ago and it has held up well (even though I have taken it off twice so far). It is currently $79.79 on Rockauto. They also have an AC Delco for $104.89 (there is another AC delco for 218.79 but I don't know the difference) and a Gates for $101.79.

Before you install the new pump put a small vacuum elbow in the weep hole and route a rubber line past the opti so if the WP leaks again it won't foul the opti. If you need any help PM me - I am in Union County next to Elizabeth. After this weekend I should have some free time. I must warn you however I move a little slow because of some health issues but I have become pretty adept at Optis and radiator shrouds as a consequence. Have a great time at Carlisle - I hope to get there next year.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

My apologies to John - I just saw he recommended an elbow in the weep hole and line past the opti.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:15 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,982 Likes on 4,802 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

It's a afternoon job. Go order the parts and get to work
Old 08-20-2014, 10:49 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 619 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
It's a afternoon job. Go order the parts and get to work
Old 08-20-2014, 11:27 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

Note: Be aware that the lower bolts on the pump go into the blocks coolant passage. So if you drain the radiator only and remove one of the bottom bolts, you will have coolant draining thru the hole onto the OPTI. I used some aluminum foil to make a funnel/trough that diverted the coolant away from the opti.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:11 AM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
Note: Be aware that the lower bolts on the pump go into the blocks coolant passage. So if you drain the radiator only and remove one of the bottom bolts, you will have coolant draining thru the hole onto the OPTI. I used some aluminum foil to make a funnel/trough that diverted the coolant away from the opti.
That's a good idea - it will cut down on time and work. The first time I pulled the opti, I pulled the knock sensors to drain the block just in case the opti wasn't the problem (it was). Since I pulled them I figured I might as well do complete flush.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:05 AM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, it's a '94.

Thanks for the responses. Once this weekend is over I will order the parts.

Get notified of new replies

To 2 days before Carlisle and I have a problem!

Quick Reply: 2 days before Carlisle and I have a problem!